Anaheim Kings?

alwaysr92

There might be a way to get money but we're not sure and we can't talk about it so never mind.

On the sidebar:

FOX40 has learned a dog with the California Highway Patrol has methadone poisoning.

ohmy.gif

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There might be a way to get money but we're not sure and we can't talk about it so never mind.

"If we leverage $100M in bond money against parking revenues, we might be able to..."

FOX40 has learned a dog with the California Highway Patrol has methadone poisoning.

Goddammit, California. I want to like you.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

It hasn't developed enough for us to tell, really. So far, the story is still "we might be able to do something but can't say what." Hard to gauge. Until we know what the plan is, the best chance the Kings have of staying in Sacramento rests with the other three California team owners and their lobbying efforts.

Meanwhile, there's more developing about this dog being poisoned!

"This may have been an unintentional encounter with teh [sic] chemical. It may have been intentional as well. It's all under investigation at this time," Goesch said.Taz is recovering an [sic] will likely survive the incident but it's not clear when, if ever, he can go back to work. Dogs metabolize substances differently than humans do, and it's too soon to tell where ti [sic] K-9 officer's health will be permanently damaged.

I read the KTXL (Fox 40) story, and it sounded about as vague as you get. Taking from that story, anyone of us can speculate as to what the business leaders' plan is. My initial interpretation of this is that they (the local business leaders) want to finance a renovation of Power Balance Pavilion (mind you that the Maloofs actually own the building and the land surrounding it), and of course the Maloofs want a brand new building period, no renovation considered.

I'm more convinced that the Maloofs wanted to move the team as soon as the opportunity presented itself, and I'm taking about when the team was winning. They've been begging for a new arena almost since they bought the team, and it would have been a PR-nightmare back then to re-locate the franchise.

So with this developing, could the Kings be staying in Sacramento after all?

We'll find out pretty soon.

Remember the source. This is the same guy who came out with a joke post the other day about the move being announced by Stern. Not to mention so far no one with any ties to the situation can confirm any of it. The Kings have denied there is any validity, the mayor says he's not heard a thing, nor has the group tasked with finding an arena. Seems to me it's just Crandell pulling everyone's legs.

FWIW, as I drove an hour and a half to Milwaukee tonight I thought of the Kings and this thread. I go to several Bulls games a year at the United Center, but you can't beat driving just a little longer for better -- and cheaper -- seats. (And it really does take me an hour to get to the UC most nights.)

I think Anaheim can make it work, but as others have said, they might have to play the small market game in a big city. Play up the orange and Anaheim and go cheaper with the tix and they might live a Clippers-like existence.

As I've thinking about this move, I've thought of another possible pitfall. Would the Anaheim Royals end up taking away a fatal amount of sports dollars from the Ducks? How much untapped sports revenue is there left in Orange County?

I mean, I'm wondering if a worst case scenario of Royals take enough away from the Ducks and Clippers to kill them, while not getting enough to save themselves, is possible.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As I've thinking about this move, I've thought of another possible pitfall. Would the Anaheim Royals end up taking away a fatal amount of sports dollars from the Ducks? How much untapped sports revenue is there left in Orange County?

I mean, I'm wondering if a worst case scenario of Royals take enough away from the Ducks and Clippers to kill them, while not getting enough to save themselves, is possible.

I am not sure that if it is a NBA/Ducks battle, but rather a MLB/NBA battle.

How much more nights will the Angels lose if a family goes to an NBA game in the O.C?

How much more nights will the Angels lose if a family goes to an NBA game in the O.C?

Not a lot. The Royals won't make the playoffs for the first few years, and their season starts around the time the Angels' annual playoff run begins.

So I highly doubt what goes on in the Honda Center will affect attendance at Angel Stadium.

v40P3lq.png

The Ducks operate the Honda center so they would basically get a cut from the Kings/Royals being in their building. Similar situation to the Devils with Nets temporary stay in Newark.

Not a lot. The Royals won't make the playoffs for the first few years, and their season starts around the time the Angels' annual playoff run begins.

So I highly doubt what goes on in the Honda Center will affect attendance at Angel Stadium.

It's still a matter of finite disposable income being spent on basketball in the winter rather than baseball in the summer.

From Sunday's Sac Bee it appears that the money th Maloof's would get comes from the $75 million in bonds that Anaheim would float to renovate the arena. $25 million of that would be for arena renovations and $50 million would go to the Maloof's probably $30 million of that would be the relocation fee.

If (more really when) they move the $76 million loan the team took from the City of Sacramento comes due in its entirety. If they default the city then gets ownership of the arena in Sacramento and a $25 million stake in the team. From the published numbers and with their obvious financial issues and based on them getting only $50 million (and not the $100 million as some stated in this thread) the move is looking less and less financially feasible as time goes on. However, I still see them leaving.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/03/27/3506320/kings-deal.html

The Royals won't make the playoffs for the first few years

Unless they are the OKC Thunder. :)

Problem: Tyreke Evans is not Kevin Durant and the Maloofs lack the money to bring in top flight free agents.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Royals won't make the playoffs for the first few years

Unless they are the OKC Thunder. :)

Problem: Tyreke Evans is not Kevin Durant and the Maloofs lack the money to bring in top flight free agents.

I can see the Clippers attracting free agents. You got young talent in Griffin, Jordan, Gordon and even Bledsoe. The Lakers will attract top FA because they'd the Lakers. But the Clippers are gone become more enticing as another option for playing in LA. The Kings being the third option in the area is gonna be far less attractive, especially with the other 2 playing at the Staples Center and in downtown LA. I don't think the Clippes are gonna overtake the Lakers, but it could fairly similar to MLB where for years the Angels were kind of like he red beaded stepchild in the area to the Dodgers, but have now at the least equalled the Dodgers in success and attraction to players. I know they're Anaheim. But the Kings are coming in as an Anaheim team with 2 LA teams already and far less potential for being a FA destination team, at least compared to the other 2 teams. Evans isn't enough to get some others to come to the area like the Clippers can because of who they already have. I think they'll be more successful in the OC than Sacramento, but I don't see a successful future like they could have elsewhere in a non NBA saturated market, like KC or Seattle. But as long as the Maloofs own them this is gonna be their best chance at that, with a possible future in Vegas, if things improve there, being a wild card chance at that success.

I'll say what I always say -- the Clippers are the Clippers. They have a good core group of guys every five years or so, and they never, ever do anything with it. Donald Sterling doesn't have to make his team better to make money, so he doesn't. It's pretty simple.

FWIW, I was pretty big on the Clippers back when they had Elton Brand, and Sam Cassell and were making the playoffs. But, they broke those teams apart, didn't invest in them, lost a bunch of games and found themselves in position to draft Blake Griffin. I don't doubt that we'll see the same thing after the 2015 season.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'll say what I always say -- the Clippers are the Clippers. They have a good core group of guys every five years or so, and they never, ever do anything with it. Donald Sterling doesn't have to make his team better to make money, so he doesn't. It's pretty simple.

You know, people say that a lot and it cracks me up. People forget that free-agency is a two-way street and players have a choice in where they can go. Until a couple years ago, Sterling never had a free agent that actually wanted to play for the Clippers. Then, when Baron Davis expressed interest, Sterling shelled out the big bucks for him. Granted, Baron turned out to be a huge disappointment, but that was his own doing (showing up to training camp out of shape every year, feuding with Dunleavy, single-handedly losing games through his own selfish play). You can't blame Sterling for that.

Additionally, Sterling didn't break the Brand/Cassell teams apart. Injuries played a role (especially with Shaun Livingston), and Elton Brand renegged on his verbal commitment to resign with the Clippers if Sterling signed Baron Davis. Again, that's not Sterling's fault if his free agent goes back on his word. Granted, that turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as Brand has turned out to be a free-agency bust and Griffin is better than Brand could ever hope to be.

Finally, Sterling never had a bona fide superstar to build around until Griffin came along. I think that in the coming years, Sterling will be so fearful of losing his biggest-ever cash cow that he'll open up the wallet more. He's talked a lot about seriously wanting to build a championship contender in the past few years, now is his time to prove it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived