Anaheim Kings?

alwaysr92

I'm still not quite sure what's with the Amigos fetishization here. That was an organization that finished 10th out of 11 teams in the league and had the cumulative home attendance of a weekend Lakers homestand in its only season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still not quite sure what's with the Amigos fetishization here. That was an organization that finished 10th out of 11 teams in the league and had the cumulative home attendance of a weekend Lakers homestand in its only season.

I guess some people think they should go with a minor leagueish name cuz the NBA is some minor league... which I actually believe, compared to college basketball at least, which is far more exciting and better to watch. B)

Well i think part of it has to do with the fact they were part of the very first ABA game...but you're right, outside of that they don't have much history and they only lasted in Anaheim for one season before moving to LA to become the Stars(where they lasted for 3(?) seasons i believe then went to Utah). Besides, I really don't like the Amigo name anyway, I think they should go with a German rooted name considering "Anaheim" is of German origin, but thats just a little pipe dream of mine haha.

So on Feb 21 2012 here's how LA TV look!

Lakers- KCAL 9

Clippers- My13

Kings?- KTLA 5 or KDOC 56

I think that the re-located Kings would end up on KDOC; KDOC's ownership group include Henry Samueli, and I think they'll get first dibs on a broadcast deal if the Kings should decide to move to Anaheim. Like their arrangement with the Ducks, it wouldn't be surprising if Fox Sports Net handles the production of the basketball Kings telecasts. It's only going to be for a season, but should Fox Sports ink the Kings for a broadcast rights deal, they'll have a already busy roster of teams to schedule for air time. After 2011-12, the Lakers will be gone from Fox Sports West, and even with the Clippers, I'm sure the powers-that-be at FSN would want a team that's going to fill those dates lost by Laker coverage.

You may be right Madman plus KDOC is a indy station so they don't have to worry about show conflict and I been hearing that the Angels may return to KTLA in 2012.

As for KCAL they'll going to lose the Lakers after next season and I think they may end up with the Clippers and I also think the Kings will also be on KCAL..

The hockey team LOL.

Just throwin this out there, but for years there has been talk of Arte Moreno wanting to create his own Angels channel, like what the Yankees have with YES, maybe if the Kings move to Anaheim, there would be a joint venture between the three Orange County teams to create an OC sports network or something along those lines.

P.S.- I think it would be cool if they branded them the "Orange County -----", but "Anaheim ----" would be cool, and for gods sake, IF they move to anaheim and IF they get a new name, can we please stop with the "oh, are they gonna call themselves the "Orange County Kings of Anaheim slightly below Los Angeles" its just not funny anymore haha

I remember Disney was trying to do that and it blew up in their face but I think this time an OC sports channel may happen.

Seattle = No new building means no NBA team. It's that simple.

Well the Sonics moved because the owner pulled a Cleveland Browns. I think if Seattle get either the Kings or Hornets they'll played a couple year @ the Key Arena until a new arena is built.

As much as I'd love to see Seattle obtain another NBA team, the Kings won't go there. Anaheim is the only option I can see them taking. Even L.V. sounds out of the question in this case. I'd rather see the NBA place an expansion club there.

Yeah you're probably right and if I know my way to the Honda Center I would go to see Anaheim Kings and unless they used Los Angeles I got no problem with the Kings keeping their name.

Anaheim Kings doesn't sound terrible. But, I'd rather see a name change. As a Ducks fan, it just sounds weird to me that I would like the Kings and hate the Kings? It's just odd for me.

LOL You're probably right plus the NBA Kings & NHL Kings almost have the same colors. I would go with either the Condors, or the Express.

Anaheim Express doesn't sound too bad. I'm not too much into Condors, though. I kinda like the Surf. Or they could always go ABA style and switch to the Amigos. ^_^

Why not just go Anaheim Royals and go back to their ancestral name?

Yes, while "Kings" is also a name currently being used by another team in the Major-4, nobody's gonna switch from a current duplicate name to another name currently being used. Either stay the Kings or go something else. Hell, maybe they can beat Brooklyn to the "Knights", unless they already secretly have it trademarked. The Anaheim Knights. Sounds good. But my money is on them staying the Kings. Change up the color scheme and I think that'll be enough to seperate them and the hockey Kings. I say either black and gold, or even black and orange with orange as the primary. Throw in the gold as an accent to go with the Ducks, but focus on the orange. I think done right, it could work for a team called the Kings.

Why wouldn't they go to a name they had long before the KC Royals were around (and a name they still hold rights to). After all, it's not like anyone is going to confuse the two.

Seattle = No new building means no NBA team. It's that simple.

Well the Sonics moved because the owner pulled a Cleveland Browns. I think if Seattle get either the Kings or Hornets they'll played a couple year @ the Key Arena until a new arena is built.

As much as I'd love to see Seattle obtain another NBA team, the Kings won't go there. Anaheim is the only option I can see them taking. Even L.V. sounds out of the question in this case. I'd rather see the NBA place an expansion club there.

Yeah you're probably right and if I know my way to the Honda Center I would go to see Anaheim Kings and unless they used Los Angeles I got no problem with the Kings keeping their name.

Anaheim Kings doesn't sound terrible. But, I'd rather see a name change. As a Ducks fan, it just sounds weird to me that I would like the Kings and hate the Kings? It's just odd for me.

LOL You're probably right plus the NBA Kings & NHL Kings almost have the same colors. I would go with either the Condors, or the Express.

Anaheim Express doesn't sound too bad. I'm not too much into Condors, though. I kinda like the Surf. Or they could always go ABA style and switch to the Amigos. ^_^

Why not just go Anaheim Royals and go back to their ancestral name?

Yes, while "Kings" is also a name currently being used by another team in the Major-4, nobody's gonna switch from a current duplicate name to another name currently being used. Either stay the Kings or go something else. Hell, maybe they can beat Brooklyn to the "Knights", unless they already secretly have it trademarked. The Anaheim Knights. Sounds good. But my money is on them staying the Kings. Change up the color scheme and I think that'll be enough to seperate them and the hockey Kings. I say either black and gold, or even black and orange with orange as the primary. Throw in the gold as an accent to go with the Ducks, but focus on the orange. I think done right, it could work for a team called the Kings.

Why wouldn't they go to a name they had long before the KC Royals were around (and a name they still hold rights to). After all, it's not like anyone is going to confuse the two.

If they were moving back to Cincy then I'd say hell yeah. But they were never the Royals in Sacramento so why go to a name that hasn't been used in the 2 previous cities? If they didn't switch when they moved to Sactown, why switch now? Keep what you have or something completely new. Don't grab something from way back just cuz it's similar to your current name.

For the last time, AAFC championships do not count. The Browns have four NFL championships, the Steelers have six. The AFL was a legitimate league with real competition, AFL championships mean/meant something. The AAFC wasn't a league, just the Browns and seven teams of scrubs.

Not to threadjack, but this statement is so full of $hit it could float in a toilet bowl. If you had any clue as to WTF you were talking about, you'd know that the AAFC by 1947 was being touted as having superior talent to the older, more entrenched NFL. The talent bases of both leagues were weakened by World War II and its aftermath, but if not for lack of sufficient financial resources among three of its owners, the AAFC could've probably survived indefinitely and given the NFL one helluva challenge for pro football supremacy in the 1950's.

nav-logo.png

If they were moving back to Cincy then I'd say hell yeah. But they were never the Royals in Sacramento so why go to a name that hasn't been used in the 2 previous cities? If they didn't switch when they moved to Sactown, why switch now? Keep what you have or something completely new. Don't grab something from way back just cuz it's similar to your current name.

The reason they switched to the Kings was that there was already a team named the Royals in KC. Now there's already a team in the LA Area named the Kings, so precedent says they'll change the name. They should revert back to the Royals if this is the case.

6fQjS3M.png

the NBA is some minor league... which I actually believe, compared to college basketball at least

All right, that's it for me! Good night, everybody!

Wow. Way to take part of my statement and make it seem like I'm say something else. The "minor league" part was in reference to the Amigos and other minor league-SOUNDING names people were putting out there. The comparison to college ball was me joking cuz I prefer college over the NBA. Don't twist my words around.

For the last time, AAFC championships do not count. The Browns have four NFL championships, the Steelers have six. The AFL was a legitimate league with real competition, AFL championships mean/meant something. The AAFC wasn't a league, just the Browns and seven teams of scrubs.

Not to threadjack, but this statement is so full of $hit it could float in a toilet bowl. If you had any clue as to WTF you were talking about, you'd know that the AAFC by 1947 was being touted as having superior talent to the older, more entrenched NFL. The talent bases of both leagues were weakened by World War II and its aftermath....

One team does not rattle off all four of a league's championships in a well-balanced, competitive circuit. Looking at the on-field results of the AAFC it's clear that the only team in this league with any significant amount of talent was the Browns.

On top of that the AAFC titles shouldn't count simply because of the league's fate. Two teams got absorbed into the NFL, the rest of the league fell by the wayside. The AFL merged, with all teams forming the basis of a new conference.

but if not for lack of sufficient financial resources among three of its owners, the AAFC could've probably survived indefinitely and given the NFL one helluva challenge for pro football supremacy in the 1950's.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

The only city that got away with name was St.Louis they had the NFL Cardinals & the MLB Cardinals.

And New York with regards to the Giants and Dodgers. And the Redskins were the Braves in their first season in Boston.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'll switch from the Clippers to Kings if they put "Mighty" in their name.

Mighty Kings sounds terrible IMO. But if Disney gets part ownership they could name them the Lion Kings. :D

How about just the Anaheim Mighty?? haha, cant be any worse than the Thunder :P

Mighty Kings sounds terrible IMO. But if Disney gets part ownership they could name them the Lion Kings. :D

Earlier tonight in Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals, the Anaheim Mighty defeat the Oklahoma City Thunder by a score of 101 to 99 in a last minute buzzer beater for three points. :P

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Earlier tonight in Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals, the Anaheim Mighty defeat the Oklahoma City Thunder by a score of 101 to 99 in a last minute buzzer beater for three points. :P

God save us from modern NBA nicknames.

The only city that got away with name was St.Louis they had the NFL Cardinals & the MLB Cardinals.

And New York with regards to the Giants and Dodgers. And the Redskins were the Braves in their first season in Boston.

Well I meant the most recent although I did forget about the football Brooklyn Dodgers and football Boston Braves.

Archived