Anaheim Kings?

alwaysr92

As a fan of a small market team, I want the Kings to stay in Sacramento. I don't know just how much the Maloofs are losing per year, but with the impending lockout and new CBA to be discussed, the new CBA could be more favorable to small-market teams, with the possibility of revenue sharing (a la the NFL) or a hard salary cap (a la the pre-2010 NFL).

If the Kings stay in Sacto for just a couple more years, then they may benefit and get some much needed revenue to improve and become competitive again. Again, like the Seattle situation, they also might be able to work things out arena-wise if they give it a couple more years but may instead move too quickly.

Unless the Maloofs are so terribly strapped for cash, then they may be better off sticking things out in Sacramento, as a move to an already-two-horse town (Greater LA) could easily blow up in their face, and cause them to be on the verge of moving or already being gone in 10-15 years.

This move everything to do with getting out of formerly-Arco Arena. They want/need a new arena and they're not getting one in Sacramento. Honda Center is loaning them money to help them get out of the arena and down to Anaheim.

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think SoCal will support a 3rd NBA Teams I mean we have 3 SoCal MLB teams and their doing great in the fan supports department.

Yeah, but one of those teams plays in San Diego. I don't think San Diegans are planning to drive up to Anaheim to see the Kings or Clippers in large numbers.

That true Rams but they supported the Ducks but then again it was because the San Diego Gulls were the team affiliation at the time.

I think SoCal will support a 3rd NBA Teams I mean we have 3 SoCal MLB teams and their doing great in the fan supports department.

Two different situations. The "third" MLB team is the Padres in San Diego as you well know. And San Diego and San Diegans don't have all that much to do with LA or Anaheim. Other than being in "SoCal" the two regions have very little in common and very little crossover. The basketball teams on the other hand would be 3 teams in the LA area. However due to the issues with the OC itself being far from LA in terms of mentality, time and distance I think a third NBA team would do just fine.

And no, SD fans don't care about or root for the Ducks generally speaking (hell most SD fans didn't care about the Gulls either hence they're no longer with us). At least I've yet to meet anyone who does. It's Pads, Chargers, or team you grew up with/city you transplanted from for SD fans.

I'm having trouble understand why the Lakers and Clippers haven't had an issue with this move, or could they just be waiting until an formal intention to relocate is announced.

Because they probably will get a small payday out of it, won't be able to oppose it since it sounds like the other owners support the move, and in the Lakers case, I don't think they feel threatened. The Lakers are the undisputed Kings of the LA sports scene. Even if the Kings develop their own small fan base, it will have little impact on the Lakers just as the Mets had no impact on the Yankees or the Clippers had no impact on the Lakers previously.

I'm having trouble understand why the Lakers and Clippers haven't had an issue with this move, or could they just be waiting until an formal intention to relocate is announced.

Because they probably will get a small payday out of it, won't be able to oppose it since it sounds like the other owners support the move, and in the Lakers case, I don't think they feel threatened. The Lakers are the undisputed Kings of the LA sports scene. Even if the Kings develop their own small fan base, it will have little impact on the Lakers just as the Mets had no impact on the Yankees or the Clippers had no impact on the Lakers previously.

They've said the Lakers and Clippers won't be owed anything as far as territorial rights. But it's expected that whatever the owners decide on for a relocation fee will go to the two current LA teams. And the Kings only need 16 of the 30 owners to get approved.

the Mets had no impact on the Yankees

Wrong. In the '80s, when the Yankees sucked and the Mets were contenders, Shea was the toughest ticket in town. So yeah, the Mets eventually did have a brief impact on the Yankees' popularity.

or the Clippers had no impact on the Lakers previously.

Well yeah, the Clippers have never had an impact on the Lakers previously, but with Griffin's emergence, the Clippers' exciting style of play, and the aging and "boringness" of the Lakers, the Clippers may very well be neck-and-neck with the Lakers attendance-wise soon.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Two different situations. The "third" MLB team is the Padres in San Diego as you well know. And San Diego and San Diegans don't have all that much to do with LA or Anaheim. Other than being in "SoCal" the two regions have very little in common and very little crossover. The basketball teams on the other hand would be 3 teams in the LA area. However due to the issues with the OC itself being far from LA in terms of mentality, time and distance I think a third NBA team would do just fine.

And no, SD fans don't care about or root for the Ducks generally speaking (hell most SD fans didn't care about the Gulls either hence they're no longer with us). At least I've yet to meet anyone who does. It's Pads, Chargers, or team you grew up with/city you transplanted from for SD fans.

I meant when the Ducks first started and the Gulls was averaging around 7000 fans during the 92-93 season and I can relate I lived in Chula Vista from 92-96 and even before I moved their I was going to SD since I got family there so i do root for both the Bolts & the Padres.

With all this talk about the money that Samueli is putting up to host the Kings, I wonder how much Anschutz would be willing to put up in order to get the Kings in his KC arena and away from his LA arena.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

With all this talk about the money that Samueli is putting up to host the Kings, I wonder how much Anschutz would be willing to put up in order to get the Kings in his KC arena and away from his LA arena.

None so far. Besides the Maloofs have shown no interest in moving them to KC. They either want to be in Sac or Anaheim for obvious reasons (proximity to their stomping grounds being the prime reasons).

the Mets had no impact on the Yankees

Wrong. In the '80s, when the Yankees sucked and the Mets were contenders, Shea was the toughest ticket in town. So yeah, the Mets eventually did have a brief impact on the Yankees' popularity.

or the Clippers had no impact on the Lakers previously.

Well yeah, the Clippers have never had an impact on the Lakers previously, but with Griffin's emergence, the Clippers' exciting style of play, and the aging and "boringness" of the Lakers, the Clippers may very well be neck-and-neck with the Lakers attendance-wise soon.

Hahaha, that's funny.

Boring-ness doesn't matter with Los Angeles Laker fans. As long as they are in the playoffs, and winning titles Clippers will never make a dent. Actually, I don't think the Clippers can ever make a dent in the Lakers popularity. One can argue that the Lakers are more popular in LA than the Yankees are in New York because this is all we have. LA doesn't have a NFL team and even then, no one was/is more popular here in LA. Los Angeles is the Laker's town. No one will ever compete with that. Clippers need to move back down to San Diego, move to Anaheim or Vegas. Clippers need to realize this is the Lakers city.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

The Clippers don't need to move anywhere, nor will they. Sterling's got a favorable lease at Staples and is turning a profit yearly in the nation's second-largest media market. Money talks, bull :censored: walks, and the usual "it's the Lakers' city, the Clippers should move" line constitutes as bull :censored:. I guess you think the Dodgers and Kings should also move because they aren't at the Lakers' level of popularity?

Attendance-wise, the Clippers have already greatly improved over last season, from 20th in the league to 15th in the league. Ratings-wise, they've had the second-biggest increase in overall television ratings among all NBA teams over last year, second only to the Heat. Media-wise, Blake Griffin has recieved a ton of hype and coverage from ESPN this season. By all accounts, the Clippers' popularity is sharply increasing. We'll never be at Lakers level but if we finally start seriously competing, we'll be pretty damn popular.

I think I'll stop talking Clippers here though, I'm a bit tired of saying the same things over and over again anyway.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

He could, but why? The two facilities are two separate cases.

AEG owns Staples Center, however the city owns the Sprint Center and AEG just is the facility's operator.

In 2009, Sprint Center was turning an operational profit in terms of AEG's agreement with the city. The city/taxpayers are still on the hook for paying off the facility. At the time of that 2009 story, AEG president Tim Leiweke told the Kansas City Star:

"The economic model of this building is quite successful. The last thing we or the city want to do is throw away that model and make the arena a loss leader with another tenant. It's a tougher scenario with a professional team. I'm sure we wouldn't be able to write a check to the city for $1.8 million."

The Clippers don't need to move anywhere, nor will they. Sterling's got a favorable lease at Staples and is turning a profit yearly in the nation's second-largest media market. Money talks, bull :censored: walks, and the usual "it's the Lakers' city, the Clippers should move" line constitutes as bull :censored:. I guess you think the Dodgers and Kings should also move because they aren't at the Lakers' level of popularity?

Attendance-wise, the Clippers have already greatly improved over last season, from 20th in the league to 15th in the league. Ratings-wise, they've had the second-biggest increase in overall television ratings among all NBA teams over last year, second only to the Heat. Media-wise, Blake Griffin has recieved a ton of hype and coverage from ESPN this season. By all accounts, the Clippers' popularity is sharply increasing. We'll never be at Lakers level but if we finally start seriously competing, we'll be pretty damn popular.

I think I'll stop talking Clippers here though, I'm a bit tired of saying the same things over and over again anyway.

Dodgers are as much LA as the Lakers are. And the Kings, well they play in the NHL so they don't belong in this conversation.

Clippers would have a much bigger fanbase and more loyal home-court if they even played their home games in another arena. If you watch Clipper "home" games againzt the Lakers its about half and half. Watch Laker home games vs. the Clippers and it's mostly Laker fans. If they just moved to Anaheim, the OC would support the hell out of them. Just like they do for the Angels and Ducks. And, yes, while Blake Griffin is a blast to watch, you don't think people in the OC would love to watch him in person? Now is the perfect time for a Clippers relocation, while they are fun to watch.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Dodgers are as much LA as the Lakers are. And the Kings, well they play in the NHL so they don't belong in this conversation.

Clippers would have a much bigger fanbase and more loyal home-court if they even played their home games in another arena. If you watch Clipper "home" games againzt the Lakers its about half and half. Watch Laker home games vs. the Clippers and it's mostly Laker fans. If they just moved to Anaheim, the OC would support the hell out of them. Just like they do for the Angels and Ducks. And, yes, while Blake Griffin is a blast to watch, you don't think people in the OC would love to watch him in person? Now is the perfect time for a Clippers relocation, while they are fun to watch.

The Clippers make a profit playing out of the Staples Centre. They're staying, as they should. You and the rest of Lakers nation will have to deal with it.

That's still average, and if they don't start to turn it around soon, this looks like it'll be another lost season for the Clippers. Granted they're playing the Hornets and trailing at halftime, but the season is already two-thirds over and they're 10 games out of 8th Place in the west.

The team has also had injury after injury all season long - Baron, Kaman, Gordon, and now Baron again. If everyone stayed healthy the record would be better right now.

Very true, but injuries are a part of the game. They should have a deeper bench to combat that, and be winning against teams like the Cavaliers, as well as low-tier playoff teams like the Nuggets/Jazz/Hornets. That way Darrell, you and your team might have a shot at the playoffs.

Archived