MLB Teams in Cream

Bouj

I'm working on a DIY project, and I wanted to get some input from the board. I wanted to see if there was a consensus on which MLB teams could pull off wearing cream. I know some teams could probably pull it off without a hitch (pretty much anyone trying to replicate a jersey the team wore pre-1972). Others probably couldn't do it at all (like Toronto would probably look silly in cream).

Here is where it stands now:

NOW

Cleveland (alt)

Minnesota (alt)

New York Mets (alt)

Philadelphia (alt)

San Francisco (home)

In addition, there is the rumor that San Diego will tweak their uniforms in 2012 to include their old PCL colors (navy/red), which could mean they could just reintroduce the cream PCL throwback they wore a few years back against the Cubs.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Padres could certainly reintroduce the creams with the brown and yellow. I really hope they dont introduce red into their identity. this franchise already has a historically convoluted color crisis. no more please. while they're at it, the MLB needs to get majestic working on this material:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/100514_under_armour_baseball_throwbacks

As far as teams that could pull off cream, here's my top five:

1.ChiSox

2.Twins

3.Royals (to distinguish themselves from the Dodgers)

4.Astros (with a fauxback set)

5.Nats

For the most part, im not crazy about cream paired with red. Cardinal, yes. red, no. Navy and black looks best in my opinion.

As far as teams that could pull off cream, here's my top five:

1.ChiSox

2.Twins

3.Royals (to distinguish themselves from the Dodgers)

4.Astros (with a fauxback set)

5.Nats

For the most part, im not crazy about cream paired with red. Cardinal, yes. red, no. Navy and black looks best in my opinion.

Actually, I've already done a DIY fauxback cream with the Astros (navy/orange in the current font). I'll be posting pics soon.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Very nice, thanks. I'll add that to my next Brewers concept - if any town could pull it off, it's the Cream City.

My suggestion was gonna be the Brewers for this reason... how'd I know you were gonna beat me to it? :P

Not sure if the Phillies alt cream is the same as the "classic" cream, but it really doesn't look good IMO. Probably because it's combined with bright red and blue. The uniform it's "inspired" by didn't seem to be as "creamy" (more of an "egg shell", if you will) and used way more blue trim, which I think would help the current alt.

They could absolutely pull off cream as a base color for their home pinstripes, but I'd highly recommend that they go back to red stars in this case.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm a sucker for any MLB team in cream. I think the five cream sets that are listed up top are my favorite looks for every one of those teams. Is it gimmicky? Probably, but I love how cream or "off white" looks in baseball, especially under the sun for an afternoon game.

Cream sucks, just looks dirty. This isn't 1930.

Agree. Never have been a big fan of cream, it always makes the jerseys look urine stained to me haha, the Giants are probably my least favorite and the Phillies are probably my favorite (least hated :P)

I hate this current trend of teams in cream. It's only purpose is to make money, and the result is always something that looks dirty and aesthetically unpleasing.

How does a cream jersey make more money for the Giants than a white one would?

I would imagine that if you were to go to their official team store at the park or online they would have cream replica or "authentic" on sale right along side their typical home and road uniforms. I personally don't shop for baseball jerseys, so I might be wrong about that. But like any alteration to most sports identities (even if it's simply changing white to cream), I would imagine it's main purpose is to make money with another jersey on top of the home, road, and alternate (if applicable) that they already wear.

I hate this current trend of teams in cream. It's only purpose is to make money, and the result is always something that looks dirty and aesthetically unpleasing.

I would imagine that if you were to go to their official team store at the park or online they would have cream replica or "authentic" on sale right along side their typical home and road uniforms. I personally don't shop for baseball jerseys, so I might be wrong about that. But like any alteration to most sports identities (even if it's simply changing white to cream), I would imagine it's main purpose is to make money with another jersey on top of the home, road, and alternate (if applicable) that they already wear.

The Giants don't have a white jersey.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

lincecum.jpg

Despite the fact they call it "cream" that looks pretty "white" to me. Honestly, unless you show the difference between the 1999 and 2000 uniforms on a forum like this, or place the respective uniforms fairly close to each other, I'm not going to be able to tell the difference.

Maybe not at this point, but almost any time a new jersey is introduced, a huge reason is to make more money. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a "spike" of Giants jersey sales around 2000 when the creams came out. Maybe someone here who knows about year-by-year team jersey sales would know.

If the Giants had kept white jerseys this entire time, I'd bet their overall home jersey sales would have been lower than if they had changed changed because Giants fans would have had no real reason to buy a new white jersey in 2000.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

lincecum.jpg

Despite the fact they call it "cream" that looks pretty "white" to me. Honestly, unless you show the difference between the 1999 and 2000 uniforms on a forum like this, or place the respective uniforms fairly close to each other, I'm not going to be able to tell the difference.

It's not that hard to see the difference first-hand. White is white, cream is cream. I've got examples of Majestic jerseys in both at home. There's a pretty distinct difference. I know sometimes we bag on Majestic for homogenizing the MLB uniforms, but the colors do turn out pretty distinctly (well, except for COOL BASE grey, which is uniform for everyone now).

Not all of the navy jerseys are alike. Atlanta's and Boston's navy alts end up being a lot darker than the Nats' alt. It's the subtle differences that make them unique.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived