Denver Nuggets New Identity

ldswoosh33

I agree. Maybe the colors could be colors could be modified, since the gold and burgundy seem to clash a bit. Use this as the primary, the pickaxe thing as the secondary. Get rid of the car-emblem script thing.

If we're going to be talking about the colors and whether or not they work, I just gotta do this...here's the last four primary logos - RGB-optimized:

1982-1983 through 1992-1993:

DenverNuggets_PML1_1983-1993_SOL_SRGB.png

1993-1994 through 2002-2003:

DenverNuggets_PML1_1994-2003_SOL_SRGB.png

2003-2004 through 2007-2008:

DenverNuggets_PML1_2004-2008_SOL_SRGB.png

2008-2009 through present:

DenverNuggets_PML1_2009-9999_SOL_SRGB.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually like those jerseys too, but I really dislike the current trend of just rehashing old looks from the past instead of creating new ones.

I don't mind the trend of going retro if what's old is better. Retro isn't always better, but it is in a fair amount of cases.

Knowing the current design trends in sports, we'll probably soon be seeing these brought back exactly the way they were:

h5apsd71i866gwvfgmh2nqyes.gifhfu7u991sxhrejgblgwlvejwb.gif

HELL. NO.

I couldn't stand these uniforms growing up. In fact, if the Nuggets went back to these full-time, I would almost have to re-think being a fan. I truly believe these to be the ugliest NBA uniforms ever, and would find it incredibly hard to root on a team dressed-up like a bunch of clowns.

6uXNWAo.png

I really hope they never go back to anything like what they had in 93-03. You guys may think that looks nice, but growing up in Denver, I just can't look at that logo without being reminded of lousy Nuggets teams. Maybe it's a nice look, but the years of losing with that identity have created a firm bias against it.

Without knowing anything about the team history, wasn't the first round upset of the Sonics pretty much the high point for the Nuggets?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I really hope they never go back to anything like what they had in 93-03. You guys may think that looks nice, but growing up in Denver, I just can't look at that logo without being reminded of lousy Nuggets teams. Maybe it's a nice look, but the years of losing with that identity have created a firm bias against it.

Without knowing anything about the team history, wasn't the first round upset of the Sonics pretty much the high point for the Nuggets?

It was the high point of the 90's, but the 70's gave the Nuggets quite a bit of success, no championships but plenty of playoff appearances, division titles and one ABA finals appearance. The 70's were the high point for the Nuggets, with the 90's being the low point.

jNTsTyQ.png

This may fit better and fall into the "unpopular opinions" thread, but I've been one of the few who have HATED the Melo-era Nuggets identity. I thought what they had before that was alot better. True, it was associated with losing, but I vastly preferred the Navy, Dark Red, and (Old?)Gold over what they have now. And though it was indeed a product of the 90's, they didn't go overboard at all with it and everything from the logo to the uniforms was sharp and clean. The powder blue, cobalt (later navy), and yellow-gold just didn't look like it fit, and appeared to me more of a following-the-current-trend switch. I don't know, when I think of a miner or a 49er, goldpanner, whatever you want to associate the whole idea of "Nuggets" with, I don't think of vibrant blues and yellow. I think of what the 90's identity had - Navy, Dark Red, and Gold. Essentially darker colors. It was a much more western and outdoors-ish scheme to me, therefore much more fitting.

Plus one, sir. Well said. My Nuggets color tweak (which I will post soon) reflects a "precious metals" theme.

I actually like those jerseys too, but I really dislike the current trend of just rehashing old looks from the past instead of creating new ones.

Exactly my view. If they keep throwing back, eventually there'll be nothing to through back to. It's kind of like asexual reproduction in a way.

25yzwqg.png

I don't mind the trend of going retro if what's old is better. Retro isn't always better, but it is in a fair amount of cases.

To each his own, but no matter what it looks like aesthetically, it always feels cheap and lazy to me. Going back to an old look not only shows desperation in trying to recapture a bygone era but also a complete lack of creativity.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

This may fit better and fall into the "unpopular opinions" thread, but I've been one of the few who have HATED the Melo-era Nuggets identity. I thought what they had before that was alot better. True, it was associated with losing, but I vastly preferred the Navy, Dark Red, and (Old?)Gold over what they have now. And though it was indeed a product of the 90's, they didn't go overboard at all with it and everything from the logo to the uniforms was sharp and clean. The powder blue, cobalt (later navy), and yellow-gold just didn't look like it fit, and appeared to me more of a following-the-current-trend switch. I don't know, when I think of a miner or a 49er, goldpanner, whatever you want to associate the whole idea of "Nuggets" with, I don't think of vibrant blues and yellow. I think of what the 90's identity had - Navy, Dark Red, and Gold. Essentially darker colors. It was a much more western and outdoors-ish scheme to me, therefore much more fitting.

You know what's funny? This passage also damn near perfectly sums up my thoughts about the Jazz's last re-brand. Say what you want about the mid-late '90s look, but I felt that was a damn-near perfect identity for them. Okay, the gradient effects were a little over-the-top, but purple and green, and copper, and mountains--all very indicative of Utah, especially when one envisions the Wasatch range. FOr some reason, they felt the need to piss on all that by doing exactly what the Nuggets and Grizzlies had done just mere seasons prior...jump on the popular baby/navy/saffron trend. (Now I'm not saying all this to bust chops...just a very interesting coincidence to note.)

Ah, yes...Deke lying flat on his back, with a jaws-of-life grip on that ball, flashing that five-mile-wide smile of his--and all those teefes--just shimmering in frantic euphoria. Quite possibly one of my favorite sports images ever.

And for those who have no idea what I'm talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38vZJUkBMA

(Also, in a twisted bit of irony, how odd is it that current Nuggets coach George Karl was on the other team's bench during that time???)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || BehanceΒ ||

Although the unis were a little bit lacking IMO, I thought this era was their best, identity-wise:

tht30q65rj1sca9rhsq5zfoih.gif

This logo and the accompanying uniforms are still the best they've ever worn. The rainbows were the rainbows and the current uniforms and colors have never felt like a good fit for Denver, Colorado.

6196331.jpg

laphonso-ellis-nuggets.jpg

It's a shame they're associated with some of the worst teams in NBA history.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Although the unis were a little bit lacking IMO, I thought this era was their best, identity-wise:

tht30q65rj1sca9rhsq5zfoih.gif

This logo and the accompanying uniforms are still the best they've ever worn. The rainbows were the rainbows and the current uniforms and colors have never felt like a good fit for Denver, Colorado.

6196331.jpg

laphonso-ellis-nuggets.jpg

It's a shame they're associated with some of the worst teams in NBA history.

I loved the colors and logo, but I always thought the unis were a bit underwhelming.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I don't think they will change anything, nor do I think they should. Should the Lakers change their logo when Kobe retires? Did the Bulls change their logo when Jordan retired? A great logo transcends players, and while I'm not saying the Nuggets have the best logo package in the NBA, it's very recognizable and has been around long before Carmelo Anthony was in the NBA.

I don't think they will change anything, nor do I think they should. Should the Lakers change their logo when Kobe retires? Did the Bulls change their logo when Jordan retired? A great logo transcends players, and while I'm not saying the Nuggets have the best logo package in the NBA, it's very recognizable and has been around long before Carmelo Anthony was in the NBA.

To be fair though, I think the Lakers and Bulls logos are widely considered to be more "iconic" than the Nuggets logo, so I wouldn't be super-surprised to see it change.

And even then the Nugs current logo structure was only around for about 10 (forgettable) years before Melo showed up.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Part of me wouldn't mind seeing a return to the navy/red/metal-gold, but the look the Nuggets have today is far more distinctive (and better) than the last one. The navy/red/metal-gold seems far too dull and drab for my tastes, and the only 2 good things (for Nuggets fans) that come straight into my mind from when the Nuggets wore these was (1) The 1994 first-round upset of the Sonics, and (2) Dikembe Mutombo.

This last set has represented some of the best years for the Nuggets in the NBA; their only Conference appearance while in the NBA, their first Division title since the 1980s in 2005-06; why would you want to link a look to a particular player?

That said, if the Nuggets wanted to change their color scheme, what about a maroon/light blue/gold (metal or athletic) color scheme? They're owned by the same group who owns the Avalanche, and the Rapids sport a maroon/light blue scheme. It could be a possible way to tie in the 1990s look with the 2000s look. Just a thought.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I don't like those old colors. They're way too drab. The blue and red are about equally dark, and the gold is too muted to jump out from them. The Cavaliers used sort of a spin on these colors, but by minimizing the navy blue (well, initially...) and using a lighter wine and gold, things popped more.

The 2003 colors had nothing to do with Denver, except. Nonetheless, I thought they were pretty neat. It was a nice take on two-tone blue to have the darker blue still be pretty vivid, so of course they fixed that. Never was crazy about the typeface used, but

Also, irrespective of color scheme, that logo sucks a ton. Copperplate and Aachen Bold. Whew.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Also, irrespective of color scheme, that logo sucks a ton. Copperplate and Aachen Bold. Whew.

The Nugs seem to have terrible luck of being just far enough ahead of the curve to adopt things before they become trends, but not far enough ahead to establish them as "theirs" before it becomes cliche. Neither of those fonts were all that common back in 1993, but now (along with City) they show up everywhere. Same thing with their color palette... right after they went powder blue, Memphis and Utah wanted to do it too.

If they were going to update, wouldn't they have had to have had the ball rolling around 6-mos ago (or longer)?

This ain't the NHL....

.....yet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I really hate it when teams get a star player (or lose one) and think they have to all of the sudden change everything, because sometimes (especially in Denver's case), the end product is worse than what they already had. That being said, I think a change from this current identity would be an exception for me. Cleveland's post-LeBron era changes were a bad move, ditching a fantastic identity for a very unappealing one. If Denver were to change, however, I wouldn't miss the Melo-era identity at all.

I agree as well.

Their current look is terrible, those colors look awful together.

Their previous look was better, but I think they could use a complete do over.

2ly2w09.jpg

One solution to the Nuggets identity is to brand them as a team from and of the city of Denver. I don't think there's a lot to work with there, though. Denver seems pretty generic to me. It's western, but not really.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Archived