Sign in to follow this  
Cyclone20

White/Grey Hats in the MLB

Seeing 14er's Reds concept made me think about this because of the white hat he used. I began wondering to myself why don't you see white or grey hats in the MLB. I really like white/grey hats except for if the brim is white/grey that must be colored. My favorite baseball uniform of all time uses a grey hat (i will post when i find a good pic) and I think that white hats look great too.

I liked the Orioles gray cap as well and owned one at that time. I think I threw it away, I can't find it.

IIRC the Orioles stopped wearing them due to superstition reasons. There was some road series where they got swept or lost 3 out of 4 to a bad team and they never wore them again.

I'm of the opinion that white hats look amateurish and ugly. The same goes for gray hats. Every team that wore a white or gray hat in that short lived period in the 90's when they were in vogue looks better now that they've switched back to using a color based cap.

"Ice Cream Hats". Good for driving musical trucks filled with frozen treats. Less so for baseball.

Add the fact light colored hats show dirt and sweat stains more obviously than darker ones.

Must respectfully disagree, slapshot. I liked both the white and gray caps.

The white ones are bright and clean, a fresh sharp look appropriate for a summer's afternoon. Especially with blue and orange So much better than the drab black ones that followed.

The gray ones looked best on the Royals - blue and gray works better than orange and gray.

I like white caps, but Gray ones seem a little "blah".

I liked some of the 4th of July caps that were white, and I love those Blue Jays caps from the 80's and 90's that had the white on the front. Awesome hat!

Slide3.JPG

The Oakland A's had an interesting (though probably unnecessary) approach in the 1970s -- players wore green caps, but manager and coaches wore white.

I enjoyed them in the mid 90s when the Royals, Pirates, Orioles and Mets all had grey or white caps.

yeah I was going to say, the white/grey hat thing really peaked in the 90s. Anytime I see them now, I just think "outdated". Never really liked it, especially grey.

They're not too bad looking with vests, where you have some color from the jersey. Otherwise, the only color to either break up the white or gray falls squarely on the bill of the cap. It's just a little too monochrome. I've always liked them but as a whole uniform look, it's a little too bland, even for a baseball traditionalist like myself.

I think Cincinnati has always executed white caps well, my favorite Reds white cap (sounds funny, I know) being this one:

frank%20robinson.jpg

On a side note, that whole uniform isn't a bad idea for a sunday alternate. Make it happen, Cincinnati!

Other teams that I think could currently don a white cap well are:

- Athletics (white cap, green brim, green "A's" outlined in gold. Yes.)

- Royals (just on occasion, I think it could help differentiate from the Dodgers' look a little)

- Angels (yes, the Angels. A little out there of a choice, I know, But for some reason I think a white cap, red brim, and regular red "A" would look fantastic with the homes.)

- White Sox (white cap, black pinstripes, black brim, black "SOX" logo, and when you wear it, why not go all out with...WHITE SOCKS?)

- Rangers (why? I don't know. The thought is just very appealing. White cap, blue brim, blue "T" with red drop shadow in the same style as the other "T"'s.)

I'd throw the Diamondbacks in there if they still had purple and turquoise, but I think it wouldn't fit well with thier current identity.

I will say that I, too, was never a fan of the grey caps. The only one I really liked was the Pirates, but that's about it.

I have had a white White Sox cap for about 15 years. White body, black brim and black Sox logo. Looks great and they should wear it on the field.

Like this, but not a flat-brimmed, stickered-up ghetto hat:

Chicago%20White%20Sox%20New%20Arrival%20Hat%20ID1240.jpg

I have had a white White Sox cap for about 15 years. White body, black brim and black Sox logo. Looks great and they should wear it on the field.

Like this, but not a flat-brimmed, stickered-up ghetto hat:

Chicago%20White%20Sox%20New%20Arrival%20Hat%20ID1240.jpg

That's pretty heinous, at least as a part of a uniform. Whatever you do, don't stick a plain white (or grey hat) with a pinstriped uniform (Pittsburgh).

If it were worn with the black jerseys instead of the pinstriped ones...much better.

Or, add pinstripes to the hat. :grin:

I'd love to see the Marlins attempt to adopt a white cap when they rebrand as an alternate. Especially if their colors are going to include Blue Green and Yellow.

I think Cincinnati has always executed white caps well, my favorite Reds white cap (sounds funny, I know) being this one:

frank%20robinson.jpg

On a side note, that whole uniform isn't a bad idea for a sunday alternate. Make it happen, Cincinnati!

- Royals (just on occasion, I think it could help differentiate from the Dodgers' look a little)

- Angels (yes, the Angels. A little out there of a choice, I know, But for some reason I think a white cap, red brim, and regular red "A" would look fantastic with the homes.)

- White Sox (white cap, black pinstripes, black brim, black "SOX" logo, and when you wear it, why not go all out with...WHITE SOCKS?)

- Rangers (why? I don't know. The thought is just very appealing. White cap, blue brim, blue "T" with red drop shadow in the same style as the other "T"'s.)

I'd throw the Diamondbacks in there if they still had purple and turquoise, but I think it wouldn't fit well with thier current identity.

I will say that I, too, was never a fan of the grey caps. The only one I really liked was the Pirates, but that's about it.

Agreed. I've only really ever thought the Reds pulled he white cap off well.

frank%20robinson.jpg

Agreed. I've only really ever thought the Reds pulled he white cap off well.

I also liked the way the Reds incorporated blue in their uniforms, I like that trim a lot better than black.