What if the Cubs Changed their Road Unis

rmackman

I don't think the Chicago Cubs have ever really come out with a great road uniform. Their home jersey and alternate are some of the best in the game, but I've always felt their road gear was...well...boring. On the other hand, I think the White Sox road uniform is amazing. So...I sort of combined them just to see what it would look like. The White Sox took the old Bulls "CHICAGO" lettering from the 80s, and I'm pretty sure Jerry Reinsdorf had something to do with that. However, what if it just applied as an across the board script logo for everyone? Just sort of a generic CHICAGO. I toyed with the idea, brought back the Cubby Bear on the sleeve, brought back the red visor on the hat, and bingo. I actually think it's an improvement.

CubsRedesign.png

Maybe if I re-designed it, I'd add a red stripe to the sleeves and to the pants like the 1995 alternate jerseys had. Thoughts?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

This should probably be in the Concepts thread.

Probably. My mistake, but doubt it matters that much.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

...well....I guess I was wrong...apparently it does matter! Thanks whoever moved it.

spacer.png

Sorry, but I don't really like this, and I like their current road uniform.

I'm ok with the bear patch and the red brim (although I think they are lateral moves rather than positive ones), but I don't like them using that Chicago script. They and the Sox are kind of cross-town rivals (or at least they should be), and I don't think it makes sense for the Cubs, who have more history anyway, to make themselves look more like the Sox.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Sorry, but I don't really like this, and I like their current road uniform.

I'm ok with the bear patch and the red brim (although I think they are lateral moves rather than positive ones), but I don't like them using that Chicago script. They and the Sox are kind of cross-town rivals (or at least they should be), and I don't think it makes sense for the Cubs, who have more history anyway, to make themselves look more like the Sox.

and that's fine. I just think the Cubs need to ditch the boring, crappy road font they have. Spice it up a little instead of putting people to sleep. The Cubs and White Sox both have equally long histories though.

103765885_display_image.jpg?1296152487aramis-ramirez-202x300.jpg = zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

spacer.png

I say no sleeve piping and no piping on the pants and you have a winner. The White Sox 'Chicago' script looks good in blue.

Here is one similar to your idea, and then another potential idea:

CubsRedesign2.pngCubsRedesign3.png

spacer.png

and I don't think it makes sense for the Cubs, who have more history anyway...

More history? That doesn't really make any sense. The Sox have been the Sox since 1901, the Cubs have had their name since 1903, so technically the White Sox have "more history." Unless you meant the team itself, in which case the team that is now the Cubs was founded a whopping 18 years before the team now known as the White Sox (the Cubs' original name: the White Stockings). Also, the ChiSox have won 3 World Series (it should have been four) to the Cubs' two, the Sox have a win in this century. The Sox have two more retired numbers than the Cubs (which isn't much of a statistic, but it speaks to "history"), and the Cubs have 15 players inducted to the Hall of Fame to the Sox' 11 (hardly a big difference in either category, really). So, just because the Cubs have some sort of romantic charm to their 100+ years of being non-performers doesn't exactly qualify them as having "more history." I'm not even a Sox fan, I just think generalities like that are silly.

So far as the concept goes, the script is just a recoloring of the Sox' road script, so it doesn't work and is pretty bland. I think there's potential for some kind of change to the road wordmark, but a recolor is not the answer.

Eliminating the piping on the sleeve just turns this concept into their current road uni with the Sox' wordmark. I think some blue piping like in the original would work if you change the white on the sleeve cuff to just be the gray sleeve instead. The idea is there, it just needs a unique spin.

Sorry for the rant.

Grunge-Logos.png

I think one Chicago baseball team using that is enough..

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=lgmh6fyh8lfaaotm02d1hdko1

BUSTED!

Busted? Nope...just read what I actually wrote in the first post. It actually explains what I was trying to do.

spacer.png

and I don't think it makes sense for the Cubs, who have more history anyway...

Eliminating the piping on the sleeve just turns this concept into their current road uni with the Sox' wordmark. I think some blue piping like in the original would work if you change the white on the sleeve cuff to just be the gray sleeve instead. The idea is there, it just needs a unique spin.

CubsRedesign4.png

I tried it. Looks pretty good, but I suppose you're right. It would be best if there was a custom wordmark. Unfortunately I don't have the graphical talent to actually design a completely new wordmark. If anyone wants to take over the concept, and come up with some ideas, that's cool by me.

spacer.png

BUSTED!

Busted? Nope...just read what I actually wrote in the first post. It actually explains what I was trying to do.

Sorry, should read next time haha, anyways that jersey looks nice in a Cubs set.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

BUSTED!

Sorry, should read next time haha, anyways that jersey looks nice in a Cubs set.

Thanks. Alright, I've given it my best shot. I'd like to see if anyone else has some Cubs road uniform ideas. :grin:

spacer.png

Here's an idea:

rkyp0h.png

I like this. It could actually work nicely in the Cubs scheme. But in all honesty, I'm fine with the Cubs current road jersey, but this works too. Although I don't like BgMack27's idea. That would be like both the Yankees and Mets going with the same NEW YORK script, except in different colours.

25yzwqg.png

Here's an idea:

rkyp0h.png

I like this. It could actually work nicely in the Cubs scheme. But in all honesty, I'm fine with the Cubs current road jersey, but this works too. Although I don't like BgMack27's idea. That would be like both the Yankees and Mets going with the same NEW YORK script, except in different colours.

Agreed as a die-hard Cubs fan this just doesn't look right. Sorry. I think a powder blue uni would look nice though. Just not with that script.

I don't think the Chicago Cubs have ever really come out with a great road uniform. Their home jersey and alternate are some of the best in the game, but I've always felt their road gear was...well...boring. On the other hand, I think the White Sox road uniform is amazing. So...I sort of combined them just to see what it would look like. The White Sox took the old Bulls "CHICAGO" lettering from the 80s, and I'm pretty sure Jerry Reinsdorf had something to do with that. However, what if it just applied as an across the board script logo for everyone? Just sort of a generic CHICAGO. I toyed with the idea, brought back the Cubby Bear on the sleeve, brought back the red visor on the hat, and bingo. I actually think it's an improvement.

CubsRedesign.png

Maybe if I re-designed it, I'd add a red stripe to the sleeves and to the pants like the 1995 alternate jerseys had. Thoughts?

This White Sox fan says NO...unless the Sox can use their 1917 set.

219_p.jpg

51CYHDEC6KL.jpg

87Redskins.png

Archived