Davidson's Logo Design Tutorials

Davidson

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FD, ive noticed your "sketch" or 1st draft is always very similar to your 2nd version you draw on top. is there any particular reason why you do 2 drafts of the logo rather than tweaking what you did the first time around?

Yup, tweaking is what you do at the end when you're happy with the thing. I aim to pair down the logo and simplify it as much as possible. Ignoring the Brady and manning illustrations, logos are about being as visually concise as possible. Very often on the board we see folks take a first stab at something then try to pollish it into a final piece. I rarely see this work. The refinements in the videos aren't that big, as I start with an idea of what I'm doing and these are just roughs, but sometimes, I'll go through 15-20 iterations to get a refined logo. You don't want the baggage of your first stab in the dark cluttering up your thinking.

sweet bro. something a little off on the cheek, but otherwise awesome.

Yeah, I agree. I couldn't quite figure out what was wrong. But, it was a practice exercise, so I'm not going to sweat it too much. It was a fun way to pass a quiet day at work yesterday.

Yeah, I agree. I couldn't quite figure out what was wrong. But, it was a practice exercise, so I'm not going to sweat it too much. It was a fun way to pass a quiet day at work yesterday.

Love the rest of it though.

Some real inspiring stuff here, davidson! The human face tutorials are especially helpful for the project I'm working on.

Just wondering: any chance you could do some sort of jungle cat tutorial? I always have difficulty finding where to start on a cat logo, and I would love to see your take on it.

Some real inspiring stuff here, davidson! The human face tutorials are especially helpful for the project I'm working on.

Just wondering: any chance you could do some sort of jungle cat tutorial? I always have difficulty finding where to start on a cat logo, and I would love to see your take on it.

Okay, perhaps over the weekend. The woman is in Ireland so I should have some spare time.

Revised (quickly, again). :)

HinesWard-1.png

Revised (quickly, again). :)

HinesWard-1.png

Really good man. Like it a lot.

These videos are great! I've tried to create things using your other tutorials but haven't been able to get my head around it. The vids are helping me get much further along the line. Here's something that I produced relatively quickly following the vid. Needs heaps of work still but I'm pleased with what I've learnt so far. Cheers Fraser, keep them coming! These vids are probably the most useful things I've found in these forums!

Also, any tips on shading? I just can't get it at the moment.

carney01.png

Here's what I got so far. I'm having trouble with the shading, specifically on the nose, ears and under the eye. I'm working on cleaning up the hair a bit. BTW, this is Joe Sakic.

Sackic1.gif

Doesnt look like you are following the tutorials.

There are single stroke marks in there rather than blocks, the lines are too thin and you are using far too complex shapes by using too many vertices. Fewer points, smother strokes, lose the lines and block out your features. Forget colour until the main features are right. There are no lines around the mouth or chin.

Heh, boring day out in the field...it was bound to happen:

EDIT: I got another one on the next page.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

These are great. Fraser has the process explained well here. I've never been completely comfortable drawing straight on the computer with the pen tool, though. I basically use the same process, but I do all the drawing by hand and instead of doing all the revisions digitally, I use tracing paper for each iteration. So before I even get a digital rendering, I have it mostly finished.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived