Searching for your 'whale'

So I've been quite fortunate in my searching and now only lack a 2008 Stars and Stripes hat, the two different style Tarpons hats, and the "Tarpons" script jersey to complete an all-time set of (Devil) Rays on field jerseys and hats. I'm offering a $20 finders fee for anyone who can locate one of those items for sale. What's frustrating is I've found three of the Tarpons jersey but no one willing to sell/trade...argh!

Curious, any one have any All Star Piazza jerseys?

Also looking for late 80's Miami Dade Community College and UM baseball jerseys.

Heck, even early 90's Alburqurqee Dukes Jerseys. I know that city isn't spelled right but you get the ideas.

By the way if anyone wants any weird 90's QB jerseys I may have them. PM me. Friggin impulse buys. Eagles Cunningham, Vikings George, Flying Elvis Bledsoe, Cards Plummers are just a few.

So, I guess a person can have a few "whales". I know we can all relate to what seems like an endless search for something, only to come up short- repeating that process over and over for years. Then, you come to that moment where you finally find what you're looking for and, without hesitation, you seize the opportunity and that once elusive jersey you've been searching for is finally yours. You now have it in your possession and you can wear it with pride, show it off, frame it, or simply hang it in a closet.

What now?

Are you 'good'; done with searching? Odds are, that's not the case. I've reached these crossroads, and I'm not sure how to feel. My original whale was a ~1987 University of North Dakota hockey jersey, which ended up finding on eBay. I'm not the type to go after game-worn jerseys, so it was a replica, but still- that did it for me, and I'm still proud of finding what I wanted and every time I see it, it makes me smile. Seems cheesy, I know, but I'm sure some of you feel the same way after finding yours.

There are now two more I would like to locate... of course. Trying to find these jerseys/items is part of the fun, but when the particular items you're looking for are in your hands, life is good. Here are the two that are currently evading me:

A 1980's Winnipeg Jets Jersey:

KD8qz2v.png

and, something I'll likely never reel in, a 1995-2001 UND Fighting Sioux Jersey:

xC0MHwN.png

Now, I've come across this style in the past, just last week on eBay, one went for just over $300; and one of the first times I've ever looked for one I found one on craigslist for $50. I messaged the person and missed it by an hour or so. Anger.

They'll be mine soon enough... oh, yes. They'll be mine.

Seeing what everyone has posted- tales of both success and failure, has made this thread one of my favorites on this site since I joined so very long ago- I hope it keeps going, and I wish everyone success.

So I've been quite fortunate in my searching and now only lack a 2008 Stars and Stripes hat, the two different style Tarpons hats, and the "Tarpons" script jersey to complete an all-time set of (Devil) Rays on field jerseys and hats. I'm offering a $20 finders fee for anyone who can locate one of those items for sale. What's frustrating is I've found three of the Tarpons jersey but no one willing to sell/trade...argh!

I kept reading "tampons" and hesitated there for a sec.

-BigBubba

I kept reading "tampons" and hesitated there for a sec.

-BigBubba

Sadly, you weren't the only one.

I had been reading this all night last night. I have an extremely small collection, but I was shocked to see that I have like 5-6 of the items that are listed here.

anyway, I have two "whales"...

1. A "snow white" new york mets hat. I believe they only wore them in a hand full of games in 1997. I cant find a legit one anywhere.

2. A tampico stogies jersey from the movie "long gone"

I had been reading this all night last night. I have an extremely small collection, but I was shocked to see that I have like 5-6 of the items that are listed here.

1. A "snow white" new york mets hat. I believe they only wore them in a hand full of games in 1999. I cant find a legit one anywhere.

which ones do you have? its always interesting to see what rare things people have and how they got them

River City Sports has the 1980s Jets jersey for $80, plus there's a special storewide sale this weekend knocking another 25% off.

Well, crap. Good thing I missed out on that. I don't see the special going on today still- I assume it was just this past weekend?

It's a long weekend so I'd assume it'd still be on but not positive?

1. A "snow white" new york mets hat. I believe they only wore them in a hand full of games in 1999. I cant find a legit one anywhere.

which ones do you have? its always interesting to see what rare things people have and how they got them

1. I have the tampa bay rays hat, I was actually wearing it when I read it.

2. The Cleveland Indians jersey

3 & 4. Both Mets jerseys, the orange one and the blue one with the grey letters.

5. The Seattle Mariners hat (my first fitted ever)

6. California Angels little a hat

• 3 weeks later...

Are these prices good?

Vincent Lecavalier Lighting home jersey (the current home jersey) brand new for $70

Rick Nash Blue Jackets home jersey (current home style) brand new for $73

Either of those worth getting? I'm thinking the Vinny one would be worth the cash.

If you can't find the jersey you want, these guys could possibly make it for you:

http://oldschooljersey.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. Been searching for a Washington Nationals alternate hat, the DC one. (I really want the navy crown/red bill one but have given up all hope on finding that one...)

GbPPwSC.jpg

I've only been able to find youth sizes and strapbacks. I'd really like to find a size 7 1/2 authentic 59fifty, it's one of the "whales" of my collection. I found a size 8 on hatland, but I don't see my head getting that big in the near future. Any leads or ideas where to look? Don't want the stars and stripes one by the way, I find those to be pretty tacky.