Searching for your 'whale'

Got one of my 'whales' recently - a jersey from the Canadian tv hockey drama 'Power Play' (1998-2000). Probably didn't need to add the years that the series ran; you could probably tell the era just by the colour scheme and cartoonish front crest and the 'fierce' fish patches.

steelheadsjersey_front.jpg

steelheadsjersey_patch.jpg

steelheadsjersey_back.jpg

Here's some more info on the tv show and the jersey if you are interested: http://reignoferror00.blogspot.ca/2013/10/power-play-hamilton-steelheads-jersey.html

NO! Where did you get it, and how much!?! I've been DYING to get one of my own.

Was searching for the show online and found an old Ebay listing. Figured I would contact the guy to see if he had any others like it. Luckily for me he had some problems with the winner of his auction (someone from somewhere in Europe) and he still had the jersey.

Got it for $60 shipped.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I really wish I'd gotten one back when they came out, but I didn't. So now I'm stuck looking for one that I'll probably never find.

The 2008 (first year) Stars & Stripes cap for the Rockies. It was a plain navy hat with the logo decorated with the stars and stripes.

I'd prefer it in a flexfit style as I don't much care for fitted.

This is what they all looked like that season.

2605060759_5cf8afc18f_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Knocked two whales off my list today.

dHkPd6R.jpg

$50 each

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

North Bay Centennials jersey and Sherbrooke Castors jersey were both on my list for the longest time. I now own this North Bay jersey and a blank version of the Castors jersey. I knocked them both off this year and now I dont know what to do with my time

:(

096c667687c96bf1.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!pEFHo9(-GhzBSCls,k!Kw~~60_35.J

cbe40ver0fdixhaag4regu3k0.gif3109.gifmt0sb106vq1t9wff53rzn98j9.gif

From Sudbury to Peterborough, now in Sherbrooke

2v274et.jpgWonderfully done by Silent Wind of Doom

I really wish I'd gotten one back when they came out, but I didn't. So now I'm stuck looking for one that I'll probably never find.

The 2008 (first year) Stars & Stripes cap for the Rockies. It was a plain navy hat with the logo decorated with the stars and stripes.

FYI, these were never made in the 39thirty flexfits, so if you find a fitted on you like.....grab it.

• 1 month later...

It was a Festivus Miracle.

I'd been searching for a green version of the 1995-2000 University of North Dakota hockey jersey, but I also knew it's not exactly a common item; so, really anything from that era would do. Black, Green, White, it didn't matter. I went on eBay, where I spend too much of my time, and I find this:

HubKEXg.jpg

gPKYqXD.jpg

The ol' ticker skips a beat- but then I notice the awful numbers attached to the jersey. Wildly inaccurate and, really, they looked kind of sweaty. Not sure how that happened, however the price was right, and my wife said yes, so that's really all the go-ahead I needed. Usually these go for $150-$200 so a $50 Buy It Now was a pretty damn good deal.

Grabbed the seam ripper and went to town. Seam ripping sucks. Apparently, just sewing the numbers on wasn't good enough, there was some glue residue left over on the sleeve numbers, which kind of bummed me out.

I looked around to see what I could do- then I remembered the magic of acetone. Took the glue right off; I can't tell anything was there at all. There are a few threads that I nicked, and I will notice them, but to anyone else- this is a blank jersey.

To anyone reading this that may have a numbered/lettered jersey that they'd rather have blank- grab a seam ripper, acetone and a steamer. Maybe soak in Oxy-Clean if its a white jersey. I used Shaklee Nature-Bright, but still... same type o' product. The acetone breaks down glue, and the steamer will loosen up the threads where the letters/numbers were sewn on. Before the steamer, it looked like there was a ghost of a #7 on the back/sleeves of this jersey- I forgot to take a picture, but it was clearly visible.

Here's the final product, and the missing piece to my collection:

iB6cfC3.jpg

Xsvyg1I.jpg

As an added bonus, huff the acetone when you're finished, to celebrate all the hard work you've done. The pink elephants say that it's perfectly fine and won't harm your brain.*

*Note: don't actually do this. Ever.

qvAvG.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am unloading some jerseys.

Some of these are likely "Whales"... no, I will not be putting up my Fisherman Isles!

New Items Up!

CCM Minnesota North Stars XL Black

CCM Minnesota North Stars L Black

Majestic Chicago White Sox Home

Re-Listed with a lower reserve and lower Buy It Now!

Original Run Red Flames CCM Lace Up XL

Original Run Blue Capitals CCM XL
Original Run Blue Nordiques CCM XXL

Original Run White Sabres Goat Head Gratton 77 Large

If you want to know about reserves, etc... PM me.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

To anyone like myself who's wanted one of these Sportsk now has them so I thought I'd post this on here, my jaw dropped when I saw them listed again. Enjoy and I hope someone else who wanted one as much as I do gets one now to!

http://www.sportsk.com/vintage-kansas-city-scouts-nhl-jersey.html

untitled-6.jpg

My whale is one of these.

Blank, XL, $50 or less.

BlueJackets2003-20043rdJerseyF.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

AD, those were impossible to find back then. I searched all over around the 4th of July of that year. The only place I could find it was at some small store in the Westminster mall. I don't think Fanzz, lids or sportsfan ever carried them. With that said that one and the camo from this year are my two favorite S&S hats.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Archived