Searching for your 'whale'

I can't believe I never made the Moby Dick connection until now.

Anyways, got this off of eBay for a cool $135 (was listed at $90, but taxes, shipping, and duties bumped that up):

178187412_51af12aff4_o.jpg

mhHH7fCZUN0E3V6Ur8EuIGA.jpg

Not that exact jersey, mind you, but it satisfies two big things my collection has been bereft of:

- A true vest

- A Canada Day jersey (bonus for being from the 1997 game v. Montréal)

Extra bonus points for being of Clemens and being brand-new. It's size XL (I'd prefer L), but who cares. This seriously may be me favourite jersey purchase ever.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I never made the Moby Dick connection until now.

Anyways, got this off of eBay for a cool $135 (was listed at $90, but taxes, shipping, and duties bumped that up):178187412_51af12aff4_o.jpgmhHH7fCZUN0E3V6Ur8EuIGA.jpg

Not that exact jersey, mind you, but it satisfies two big things my collection has been bereft of:

- A true vest

- A Canada Day jersey (bonus for being from the 1997 game v. Montréal)

Extra bonus points for being of Clemens and being brand-new. It's size XL (I'd prefer L), but who cares. This seriously may be me favourite jersey purchase ever.

That is really cool. Well, except for Clemens...

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Came so close to getting my whale last week. Lost out on a lime green authentic Orlando Thunder jersey in the closing seconds.

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between an authentic and replica from that era? All the designs and numbers were screened on the game worns anyway and I can't imagine the material would be much of a difference between an authentic and something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WLAF-12-Orlando-Thunder-Jersey-Large-/131110842465?pt=US_Football&hash=item1e86d0b061

You might not think it but the differences are night and day. Even on the ones with all mesh shoulders and sleeves. Also keep in mind that repla quality was waaaaaaaay lower than what you youngsters complain about today.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Came so close to getting my whale last week. Lost out on a lime green authentic Orlando Thunder jersey in the closing seconds.

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between an authentic and replica from that era? All the designs and numbers were screened on the game worns anyway and I can't imagine the material would be much of a difference between an authentic and something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WLAF-12-Orlando-Thunder-Jersey-Large-/131110842465?pt=US_Football&hash=item1e86d0b061

You might not think it but the differences are night and day. Even on the ones with all mesh shoulders and sleeves. Also keep in mind that repla quality was waaaaaaaay lower than what you youngsters complain about today.

This is completely true. The last Reebok replicas I thought were of excellent quality, which is why I got as many as I could. If taken care of properly, they'll last a long, long time. My Eddie George replica that I acquired back in 2005 when he left Tennessee has held up very nicely. Outside of the wordmark FINALLY peeling off after 8 years, there is nothing wrong with it.

I look at the replicas from the pre-Reebok exclusivity, and they are made with very lightweight and cheaper materials. I still take good care of them, however, the materials are very different between the two eras. When Reebok, Nike, Starter, Adidas, Puma and the like were making replicas, the quality was rather low, even though you could find a new replica jersey for $30, you really were getting what you paid for.

I have all of the Eagles mini Riddell helmets but missed out on getting the 75th Anniversary 1933 one when I had the chance. The only mini one I can find on eBay is a custom made one which I don't want. Anyone know where else I could track one of these down? My searches the past few years have turned up nothing.

b5b8581bb9f46918d3c1e7112d9b_zps546d5ab1

One selling on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philadelphia-Eagles-1933-Throwback-Mini-Football-Helmet-Riddell-New-w-Box-/291095013504?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item43c69d6880

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I have all of the Eagles mini Riddell helmets but missed out on getting the 75th Anniversary 1933 one when I had the chance. The only mini one I can find on eBay is a custom made one which I don't want. Anyone know where else I could track one of these down? My searches the past few years have turned up nothing.

One selling on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philadelphia-Eagles-1933-Throwback-Mini-Football-Helmet-Riddell-New-w-Box-/291095013504?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item43c69d6880

Spotted it the day it was listed and am the only bidder so far. I appreciate you pointing it out though!

One selling on ebay.

Spotted it the day it was listed and am the only bidder so far. I appreciate you pointing it out though!
Good luck with the bidding! Hopefully no jerks come and swoop it up in the last second.

Can any of you point me in the right direction for a place to buy the USMNT hoops kit? Preferably blank like so, or possibly Altidore. It's somewhat baffling to me how difficult it is to find this jersey online considering they just wore them last year.

6a00e54ef2975b88330167653721b6970b-350wi

Having trouble finding Waldo, eh? Haha! All kidding aside, I'm sorry but I can't help because I don't follow soccer.

Can any of you point me in the right direction for a place to buy the USMNT hoops kit? Preferably blank like so, or possibly Altidore. It's somewhat baffling to me how difficult it is to find this jersey online considering they just wore them last year.

Having trouble finding Waldo, eh? Haha! All kidding aside, I'm sorry but I can't help because I don't follow soccer.

I just sold one on eBay not long ago.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

One selling on ebay.

Good luck with the bidding! Hopefully no jerks come and swoop it up in the last second.

The bidding got a lot higher than I anticipated but I won the auction!

• 2 months later...

Also been looking for this jersey in Medium they go for around $150-$160 on eBay for the replicas, this is my new search

Picked up a blank for a song recently:

manitoba-moose-pancake-breakfast.jpg

Just need the teal version to complete my collection.

Also saw a France (2013?) shirt (?) at Sportchek on sale but didn't pounce on it. 50 bucks is still a little too expensive for a soccer/football shirt, I guess:

272263-bornexplorer88s-kit-request-threa

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

• 4 weeks later...

Archived