Fixing the Boston Bruins

speedy

While I must admit, the Bruins are certainly one of the best looking teams in the league. To the casual observer there isn't much to nit pick about on their current set. However, for a life long Bruins fan such as myself, there's plenty wrong. The B's currently pride themselves on being the first team to utilize black in the NHL, that's great and all, but they didn't have a black jersey for the first 24 years of their existence. Gimmie a break.

Making black the dominant color since 1995, after 71 years of gold, then black, is kind of a joke. As seen in exhibit A, their current away uniform is over run with black and it just looks unbalanced. I won't even get to the 95-07 uniforms, because in my mind that whole era of Bruins hockey didn't exist. In exhibit B, you see the proper way to infuse gold and black on a hockey sweater. The yellow/black/white/black/yellow is a signature striping pattern instantly identifiable as the Bruins'. The best years of the franchise were adorned by these stripes. Even when they rolled out the monstrosities of the late 90's, the white sweater still sported this pattern on the sleeve.

Exhibit A:

bruins1.png

Exhibit B:

bruins2.png

Now here we have the concept. I infused the traditional stripping onto the new sweater, and returned the yoke to its original gold. Also changed is the reversing of the sock stripes, on both home and away.

The new alternate sweater is a variation of the uniform Bobby Orr first wore. Gone is the brown of the WC sweater and horrible crest. The yoke on Bobby's sweater was black, but I've changed it to yellow for better consistency. Also changed is the numbers, what were black outlined in white, they are now the opposite.

Concept:

bruins3.png

Thoughts?

My only beef is the shoulder yoke on the third. If you're trying to be true to the Bruins' history, then it should be black.

Bruins21.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

My only beef is the shoulder yoke on the third. If you're trying to be true to the Bruins' history, then it should be black.

Bruins21.png

Valid argument. However, I wasn't trying to be totally true, more or less using that jersey for inspiration.

The rant was a little much, but I thoroughly approve of the results.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

The alt is pretty, very good work sir.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't think a more predominant amount of gold (yellow), directly next to the white is a good idea. I think the Bruins do what they do now to avoid a lot of yellow and white beside eachother.

Agreed. The white next to the yellow washes out the yellow and makes the two colors blend where they touch (the farther away you are the harder they become to differ)

Other than that, this is more or less a top notch design.

looks flawless to me. though i must agree with nash. i know this is your concept and you arent being totally true to history. i just think that the black yoke on the yellow jersey would look nicer. everything else is absolutely perfect. any particular reason the black and white stripes on the yellow jersey aren't separated by yellow?

I don't think a more predominant amount of gold (yellow), directly next to the white is a good idea. I think the Bruins do what they do now to avoid a lot of yellow and white beside eachother.

I see your point, but I think the gold gets lost easily on their current set. The black stripe seems to stand out more while the neighboring gold looks foggy from a distance, if that makes sense?

Really nice job!

I've just got to ask, that's a awesome template, where can I find it?

I've had the same question asked numerous times in the past few days, I'll release it for download by the end of the weekend.

looks flawless to me. though i must agree with nash. i know this is your concept and you arent being totally true to history. i just think that the black yoke on the yellow jersey would look nicer. everything else is absolutely perfect. any particular reason the black and white stripes on the yellow jersey aren't separated by yellow?

Few reasons, I feel a thin gold stripe separating the black and yellow would get lost from a distance, also the stripes I have on there are consistent with the gold/black/white/black/gold throughout the set.

• 2 weeks later...

VERY WELL DONE CONCEPT!!! Exactly what the B's should be wearing! If you haven't sent this concept to the Bruins, DO SO TODAY!!!

While I must admit, the Bruins are certainly one of the best looking teams in the league. To the casual observer there isn't much to nit pick about on their current set. However, for a life long Bruins fan such as myself, there's plenty wrong. The B's currently pride themselves on being the first team to utilize black in the NHL, that's great and all, but they didn't have a black jersey for the first 24 years of their existence. Gimmie a break.

Making black the dominant color since 1995, after 71 years of gold, then black, is kind of a joke. As seen in exhibit A, their current away uniform is over run with black and it just looks unbalanced. I won't even get to the 95-07 uniforms, because in my mind that whole era of Bruins hockey didn't exist. In exhibit B, you see the proper way to infuse gold and black on a hockey sweater. The yellow/black/white/black/yellow is a signature striping pattern instantly identifiable as the Bruins'. The best years of the franchise were adorned by these stripes. Even when they rolled out the monstrosities of the late 90's, the white sweater still sported this pattern on the sleeve.

Exhibit A:

bruins1.png

Exhibit B:

bruins2.png

Now here we have the concept. I infused the traditional stripping onto the new sweater, and returned the yoke to its original gold. Also changed is the reversing of the sock stripes, on both home and away.

The new alternate sweater is a variation of the uniform Bobby Orr first wore. Gone is the brown of the WC sweater and horrible crest. The yoke on Bobby's sweater was black, but I've changed it to yellow for better consistency. Also changed is the numbers, what were black outlined in white, they are now the opposite.

Concept:

bruins3.png

Thoughts?

I see your point, but I think the gold gets lost easily on their current set. The black stripe seems to stand out more while the neighboring gold looks foggy from a distance, if that makes sense?

Really nice job!

I've just got to ask, that's a awesome template, where can I find it?

I've had the same question asked numerous times in the past few days, I'll release it for download by the end of the weekend.

Few reasons, I feel a thin gold stripe separating the black and yellow would get lost from a distance, also the stripes I have on there are consistent with the gold/black/white/black/gold throughout the set.

you know, the second time i looked, i noticed that. i agree with what you say about the thin gold line 100% and i like the consistency of the stripes, like a florida football style striping... i have always been a fan of that style. that being said, shouldn't the stripes be a bit thinner? that being said, i do love the concept overall, and i really wish the bruins would just look at these and be like "wow, we need to get these..."

I like the concept but I have to say that what the Bruins are wearing now works alot better, historically accurate or not. The Yellow on your away jersey concept gets lost in the white and those thin black lines on the hem stripes aren't nearly enough contrast.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived