MLB Stadiums

chrysleraspen08

I want to know what stadiums could or will be replaced soon. I know that Florida is getting a new one next year and Oakland will get a new one around 2015, but what others will look for replacements?

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually only the one in Miami is guaranteed. Tampa Bay had a proposed one back in 2008, but it's been put on indefinate hold due to further research requests and such from the public. Oakland has no stadium plans in place at all for the moment. The Fremont one has been shelved. That's about it. And other than those 2, everyone else either has a new(er/ish) stadium or an old one that they've just renovated and/or are just not looking to replace (Red Sox, Cubs, Angels, Dodgers, Royals).

Wonder how long it will be before the first of this "new era" of publicly-financed ammenity-laden suite-filled parks will get replaced. The last generation of parks (the multi-purpose donuts) lasted around 30 years (or less in many cases) so you figure that someone will come up with something that will render the current crop obsolete within 10-20 years. I'll really feel old when I start reading about "dilapidated / obsolete Citizen's Bank Park" and the need for funding to replace it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Oakland has no stadium plans in place at all for the moment. The Fremont one has been shelved.

According to wikipedia, it is proposed to build it in San Jose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_Field

Cisco Field is still dependent on MLB granting the A's the ability to build in San Jose. As of right now they cannot. So it's still very much in the "maybe" category. If it fails the A's have said they have no plan B in the Bay Area. Tampa currently has no solid plans but they'd like to get out of Tropicana. The Marlins of course get their new park next year when they move to Miami and become the Miami Marlins.

Everyone else is quite happy where they are in their "newer" stadiums or in a renovated old one. MLB won't have many people changing home parks for many years once the A's and Rays get squared away since all the Camden Yards era parks have a 40-50 year lifespan programed in without major upgrades (and who is to say minor upgrades won't keep them good for years to come after that not unlike Fenway Park today). It is hard to believe however that Camden Yards turns 20 years old soon. I think however unlike the Concret donuts of the 60's these new parks will have much longer life spans of 50+ years like the old early 1900's parks did. They're nicer parks designed more for the sport they host and don't come with a built in obsolescence due to piss poor design like the 60's stadiums did.

Wasn't New Comiskey built right before the explosion, and lacking many of the features / revenue streams of the new parks? I know they have renovated it a lot, but from nearly every account I've read, it's basically an "older" park that just happened to have been built relatively recently.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wasn't New Comiskey built right before the explosion, and lacking many of the features / revenue streams of the new parks? I know they have renovated it a lot, but from nearly every account I've read, it's basically an "older" park that just happened to have been built relatively recently.

It was built mostly of concrete as opposed to brick (or something to that effect) as all following stadiums were cuz it was the last one built before Camden Yards. However, it's not like the multi-purpose ballparks that proceeded it and I believe the renovations made have improved it quite a bit. I don't think there's any rush to build a new one in the coming years, though out of all the current stadiums, minus Tampa Bay and Oakland, I would think that it would be the first to be replaced.

After it's recent renovations it's not unlike Anaheim Stadium in that it is essentially one of the "retro" parks now. What it lacked before was some of the intimacy of the post-Camden parks, and some of the other little amenities. Most of those have been added, and much of what people complained about (the massive upper deck) was lopped off during the renovations.

Yes and no. It missed the current trend in terms of being mostly brick, having unique dimensions, and being located in a downtown area. The park was very cold and sterile when it first opened. The renovations have changed it drastically, but of course, it isn't Oriole Park. One of the criticisms was that the park was too "corporate", as a club level and two levels of skyboxes pushed the fans in the upperdeck even higher. Other than the additional walk-up ticket sales available for being in a downtown area, there aren't any revenue streams the Sox missed out on. Most of the advances with the newer parks were aesthetics and comfort things (such as outfield seats being angled towards the pitcher's mound). It isn't a huge cash cow, but until the owners think of another racquet to cry "we can't compete without this feature," the park is going to make its fair share of money for the team.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Wonder how long it will be before the first of this "new era" of publicly-financed ammenity-laden suite-filled parks will get replaced. The last generation of parks (the multi-purpose donuts) lasted around 30 years (or less in many cases) so you figure that someone will come up with something that will render the current crop obsolete within 10-20 years. I'll really feel old when I start reading about "dilapidated / obsolete Citizen's Bank Park" and the need for funding to replace it.

New Yankee Stadium already has big fractures in the concrete floors. I'd expect Citizens' Bank Park to be replaced with a neo-retro carbon-neutral hovercraft in about three, four years. Hope you don't mind the sales tax increase.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

New Yankee Stadium already has big fractures in the concrete floors. I'd expect Citizens' Bank Park to be replaced with a neo-retro carbon-neutral hovercraft in about three, four years. Hope you don't mind the sales tax increase.

Well it's at 8% now, but I'd gladly pay up to 27% to go to games in the hovercraft. That's brilliant, actually. How high can it hover? You could put parking underneath the stadium, or float it a few miles in any direction to avoid rain. I make my big-ticket purchases in Delaware anyway, so raise away.

Chase Field should be blown up and turned into a parking lot

No, thats jobing.com arena.

Although they could have done a hell of a lot better job with it considering where it is at in PHX.

And Miller Park, though I love the Brewers, isn't exactly long on charm.

Cisco Field is still dependent on MLB granting the A's the ability to build in San Jose. As of right now they cannot. So it's still very much in the "maybe" category. If it fails the A's have said they have no plan B in the Bay Area. Tampa currently has no solid plans but they'd like to get out of Tropicana.

I'm not sure I see three-quarters of the owners voting to strip the Giants of their territorial rights to San Jose. I'm guessing they eventually find a spot in the East Bay.

As for the Rays, that situation's a mess. They're stuck in a failed market. The only thing keeping them there (other than an obvious relocation option) is the lease in St. Petersburg. Which even the market's defenders admit is one of the team's biggest problems, since people in Tampa apparently look down their nose at the poor relation to the west.

Lmao, I just had a dream last night that the Twins built a new park that was way less cool than Target Field, and they started playing there, abandoning Target Field. I was so pissed off until I woke up. The new park was awful and poorly lit.

Please don't share your dreams with us... ever.

Pretty much every baseball team is satisfied with where they play with the exception of the A's, Rays, Marlins who are getting a new stadium, and Toronto. All the 70's stadiums have basically been transformed like Kaufmann and Angel. The classics wont be leaving anytime soon Dodger, Wrigley, Fenway. Other than that everyone is happy with their ballpark.

Archived