What Grinds your Gears Logo version

Funky Bunky

NBA Logos that use a basketball.

NBA logos that feature the team name, too.

NBA logos in general. They should all just be generic geometric shapes.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me, that "some reason" some Quebeckers pronounce the team name as "Trashers" is because just about every "TH" sound in French is pronounced as simply a "T"; the H is pretty much silent. See: thé (tea), théatre (theatre), bibliothèque (library). Click here for an audio example.

It's not a "refusal" of anything to do with the Thrashers' name; it's simply the way the language has been constructed for centuries.

Does that lead to spelling mistakes? Maybe. But those would happen because, like in English, one would default to a phonetic spelling -- "spelling it like it sounds." If one had heard the word "phonetic" without seeing it, it would be hard to believe that it starts with "PH" rather than an "F". It's one of those idiosyncrasies in language that has to be learned and memorized, made even tougher for Quebeckers because it is a word that's not in their native tongue and one that is, in the grand scheme of their language, not terribly important. They have a plethora of accents and word masculinity/femininity to worry about first before they get to hockey team names.

But if you want to go on believing that a whole province has it out for your team simply because they pronounce and sometimes spell their name incorrectly, have at it.

As a quebecer myself, I can confirm to you that this is true. I recall at least one hockey analyst on RDS referring to them as the "Trashers" during intermission segments. Give it peace, it's just the accent.

i know it is your language but what gets me is the fact that you know you are saying it wrong, and yet you continue to do it....

I presume you pronounce Montreal Canadiens with a perfect French accent, yes?

...By the way, a more legitimate gear-grinder of this variety would be how many Americans insist on saying Jacksonville Jag-wires. And when broadcasters do it, it's almost unforgivable.

As a fan of the Wisconsin (not Wesconsin) Badgers, I agree.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This blueland believer guy's getting right up there with whoever that one guy was who proclaimed his Coyotes would skate on the frozen blood of non-believers.

That said, have any of y'all stopped to think that perhaps he, and perhaps several other annoying posters, simply do all this kinda crazy stuff specifically to get a rise out of people? Best to just ignore it, resist the temptation to engage it, and let it die.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Those videos have changed everyone's mind, nice work

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

This blueland believer guy's getting right up there with whoever that one guy was who proclaimed his Coyotes would skate on the frozen blood of non-believers.

That said, have any of y'all stopped to think that perhaps he, and perhaps several other annoying posters, simply do all this kinda crazy stuff specifically to get a rise out of people? Best to just ignore it, resist the temptation to engage it, and let it die.

im not doing it to get a rise out of anyone. Im doing it in defense of my team. Im sick of being curb stomped by people for no damn reason. Im sick of being told that i dont matter. Im sick of everyone bashing my team. And im sick of people bashing my city.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

No, I think he's actually surpassed it. That other guy merely didn't understand sarcasm and added some creepy religious overtones to his arguments. BluelandNutter over here has replaced the religious overtones with full-on screaming meltdowns and rationales like "ESPN DOESN'T CARE ABOUT HOCKEY!!!!!" to declare all contradictory points as fake.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

im not doing it to get a rise out of anyone. Im doing it in defense of my team. Im sick of being curb stomped by people for no damn reason. Im sick of being told that i dont matter. Im sick of everyone bashing my team. And im sick of people bashing my city.

I'm gonna tell you right now, as a mod, you need to calm down.

You have taken every comment about the Thrashers personally, and that's typically a sign of immature behavior. Which is a quick step to a suspension or banning.

You opened the door.

I am warning others not to take the bait.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Back on Topic Now

When a team goes fauxback fulltime (cough... NY Islanders cough...)

Now if they went with lighter colors without the fauxback, it would be awesome.

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

Top 5 NHL...

05) The use of Cream or Retro White.

It was a novel concept for a while but now its just becoming a trendy, cookie cutter design element. Any jersey using it automatically becomes a Fauxback because off white was never used on a hockey jersey prior to 1997. The worst is when teams that already have a long, rich history resort to using it. Im looking at you Rangers.

Offenders: Blue Jackets, Rangers, Penguins, Sabres, Minnesota Wild, Chicago Blackhawks.n Edge and for good reason. They look awful

To be fair, "wheat" was one of the Wild's colours from the start.

04) Wordmark Jerseys

What makes hockey jerseys vastly superior to the uniforms of any other sport? The fact that the the teams logo is plastered front and center on the jersey. Now were seeing more and more teams ditch logos that were perfectly fine to begin with for lazy wordmarks that look like were lifted directly from Baseball or Football uniforms. Where is the logic in mimmicking sports with inferior jerseys?

Offenders: Stars, Thrashers (Alt), Buffalo (Alt), Anaheim, Minnesota (Alt), Lightning (Alt), Senators (Alt).

Couldn't agree more. Especially in Anaheim's case since that thing is still their primary logo. I as a Ducks fan am bored to death of that wordmark now. And up until recently, having an identity made up of nothing BUT wordmarks was depressing.

Though I must admit I do like the script on Minnesota's third, and the Dallas "College" lettering has grown on me. But using fan nicknamed scripts (SENS and BOLTS) is lame, trying too hard to look like a football team (Thrashers) is also lame, and again, making the wordmark your team's primary logo (Anaheim) is boring AND lame.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Top 5 NHL...

It was a novel concept for a while but now its just becoming a trendy, cookie cutter design element. Any jersey using it automatically becomes a Fauxback because off white was never used on a hockey jersey prior to 1997. The worst is when teams that already have a long, rich history resort to using it. Im looking at you Rangers.

Offenders: Blue Jackets, Rangers, Penguins, Sabres, Minnesota Wild, Chicago Blackhawks.n Edge and for good reason. They look awful

What he said. (See also the 2004 All-Star jerseys for both teams, both of which use "wheat" in place of white. That was the game in Minnesota, and the Western jerseys were the obvious template for the Wild's current green alts.) I actually don't mind off-white jerseys in general; they give the jersey a time-worn look, which is probably why they are so popular for retro jerseys in general.

CCSLC signature.png

NBA Logos that use a basketball.

that is a good one. its like you cant have a BB logo without the ball. i think about 75% of the NBA does this

Agreed. A basketball logo with an actual basketball in it is far over done. I especially hate how teams recolor the basketball with their team colors. It just looks so tacky. I don't know of any MLB teams that recolor the actual baseball in their logos other then the seams being recolored. Also the New Jersey Nets logo a ball and a rim of a basketball net yet their name is the Nets and there is no NET in the logo!!!

3535rx3.jpg

Top 5 NHL...

What he said. (See also the 2004 All-Star jerseys for both teams, both of which use "wheat" in place of white. That was the game in Minnesota, and the Western jerseys were the obvious template for the Wild's current green alts.) I actually don't mind off-white jerseys in general; they give the jersey a time-worn look, which is probably why they are so popular for retro jerseys in general.

The Wild are a tricky team. While "Wheat" was always a part of their colour scheme it was used to a much different better effect on their inaugural jerseys which I still maintain were their best. On those jerseys wheat was an acccent on the striping but it was done in that mettalic fabric used by teams like Anaheim and Nashville therefore avoiding the faux retro look. On the new Home and Third however the colour is mat making it look like all those other fauxbacks. Replacing it with a normal white would make the jerseys look much sharper.

Top 5 NHL...

04) Wordmark Jerseys

What makes hockey jerseys vastly superior to the uniforms of any other sport? The fact that the the teams logo is plastered front and center on the jersey. Now were seeing more and more teams ditch logos that were perfectly fine to begin with for lazy wordmarks that look like were lifted directly from Baseball or Football uniforms. Where is the logic in mimmicking sports with inferior jerseys?

Offenders: Stars, Thrashers (Alt), Buffalo (Alt), Anaheim, Minnesota (Alt), Lightning (Alt), Senators (Alt).

Couldn't agree more. Especially in Anaheim's case since that thing is still their primary logo. I as a Ducks fan am bored to death of that wordmark now. And up until recently, having an identity made up of nothing BUT wordmarks was depressing.

Though I must admit I do like the script on Minnesota's third, and the Dallas "College" lettering has grown on me. But using fan nicknamed scripts (SENS and BOLTS) is lame, trying too hard to look like a football team (Thrashers) is also lame, and again, making the wordmark your team's primary logo (Anaheim) is boring AND lame.

The Stars "DALLAS" jerseys look OK, but they had the perfect jerseys before EDGE. Maybe the black wordmark jersey could work as an alt, but I really hope the jerseys with the star as the striping return.

Archived