What Grinds your Gears Logo version

Funky Bunky

Top 5 NHL...

05) The use of Cream or Retro White.

It was a novel concept for a while but now its just becoming a trendy, cookie cutter design element. Any jersey using it automatically becomes a Fauxback because off white was never used on a hockey jersey prior to 1997. The worst is when teams that already have a long, rich history resort to using it. Im looking at you Rangers.

Offenders: Blue Jackets, Rangers, Penguins, Sabres, Minnesota Wild, Chicago Blackhawks.n Edge and for good reason. They look awful

To be fair, "wheat" was one of the Wild's colours from the start.

What he said. (See also the 2004 All-Star jerseys for both teams, both of which use "wheat" in place of white. That was the game in Minnesota, and the Western jerseys were the obvious template for the Wild's current green alts.) I actually don't mind off-white jerseys in general; they give the jersey a time-worn look, which is probably why they are so popular for retro jerseys in general.

The Wild are a tricky team. While "Wheat" was always a part of their colour scheme it was used to a much different better effect on their inaugural jerseys which I still maintain were their best. On those jerseys wheat was an acccent on the striping but it was done in that mettalic fabric used by teams like Anaheim and Nashville therefore avoiding the faux retro look. On the new Home and Third however the colour is mat making it look like all those other fauxbacks. Replacing it with a normal white would make the jerseys look much sharper.

Not to steal Colorwerx's thing here, but those are actually 2 different colors. The Wild have wheat, gold, and metallic gold. The wheat color they use currently is a whole different color than the gold they used originally.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate crazy fans that make me look bad and loose the little dignity most of us have left for out teams. That being said, I also hate the new cirle logo craze thats taken over hockey, the new offical color of MLB, NBA, and NHL - Blue, and NBA teams that are to cheap to fork over half a mil to change their primary. ( I'm looking at you Hawks! Its Red and YELLOW, not blue, and the re-colored hawk w/ ball looks like trash compaired to the 2nd logo.)

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

puck you. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

Who the hell are YOU to determine where a team is 'deserved'? We have plenty of fans here you ass hole, the problem is the ownership issue. Once the new owners come in, things will change for the better here. How dare you. I might as well say Buffalo doesnt deserve an NFL franchise.

Oh suck it up, nancy. I'm entitled to an opinion, as are you.

There's a reason the Flames left town and that the Trashers can't sell out games.

bufg.png

Top 5 NHL...

It was a novel concept for a while but now its just becoming a trendy, cookie cutter design element. Any jersey using it automatically becomes a Fauxback because off white was never used on a hockey jersey prior to 1997. The worst is when teams that already have a long, rich history resort to using it. Im looking at you Rangers.

Offenders: Blue Jackets, Rangers, Penguins, Sabres, Minnesota Wild, Chicago Blackhawks.

It works for the Wild.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Who the hell are YOU to determine where a team is 'deserved'? We have plenty of fans here you ass hole, the problem is the ownership issue. Once the new owners come in, things will change for the better here. How dare you. I might as well say Buffalo doesnt deserve an NFL franchise.

There's a reason the Flames left town and that the T*h*rashers can't sell out games.

The Flames left because the investor that had agreed to fund the owners turned out to be a fraud and was actually bankrupt you moron. You northerners are seriously showing that you're nothing but pricks. Im not a 'crazy fan' im a very passionate fan that finds others lack of passion disgusting. The fact that they wont stick up for their team makes me sick....

The thrashers should move. I'm just getting into this, but they can half fill games most of the time. That's... terrible. Why not give the NHL an instand 20,000-25;000 fans by moving them to canada? As a capitals fan, we sell out (not that I help that, I've been to one game) and the metro is filled with red jerseys every gameday. You guys are all crazy with the cursing and disrespect. But ATL has proven it doesn't want hockey.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

There's a reason the Flames left town and that the T*h*rashers can't sell out games.

The Flames left because the investor that had agreed to fund the owners turned out to be a fraud and was actually bankrupt you moron. You northerners are seriously showing that you're nothing but pricks. Im not a 'crazy fan' im a very passionate fan that finds others lack of passion disgusting. The fact that they wont stick up for their team makes me sick....

The thrashers should move. I'm just getting into this, but they can half fill games most of the time. That's... terrible. Why not give the NHL an instand 20,000-25;000 fans by moving them to canada? As a capitals fan, we sell out (not that I help that, I've been to one game) and the metro is filled with red jerseys every gameday. You guys are all crazy with the cursing and disrespect. But ATL has proven it doesn't want hockey.

And before you call me a condescending yankee, my dads whole family is from dallas and I visit often. I'm not a bandwagon fan. I have supported the redskins and natioanls through good and bad.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Top 5 NHL...

Offenders: Blue Jackets, Rangers, Penguins, Sabres, Minnesota Wild, Chicago Blackhawks.n Edge and for good reason. They look awful

To be fair, "wheat" was one of the Wild's colours from the start.

What he said. (See also the 2004 All-Star jerseys for both teams, both of which use "wheat" in place of white. That was the game in Minnesota, and the Western jerseys were the obvious template for the Wild's current green alts.) I actually don't mind off-white jerseys in general; they give the jersey a time-worn look, which is probably why they are so popular for retro jerseys in general.

The Wild are a tricky team. While "Wheat" was always a part of their colour scheme it was used to a much different better effect on their inaugural jerseys which I still maintain were their best. On those jerseys wheat was an acccent on the striping but it was done in that mettalic fabric used by teams like Anaheim and Nashville therefore avoiding the faux retro look. On the new Home and Third however the colour is mat making it look like all those other fauxbacks. Replacing it with a normal white would make the jerseys look much sharper.

Not to steal Colorwerx's thing here, but those are actually 2 different colors. The Wild have wheat, gold, and metallic gold. The wheat color they use currently is a whole different color than the gold they used originally.

Yes the Colours of Wheat and Gold have been prevalent in the Wild identity since day one but both of these shades had metallic versions.

a20791c12a1206007a4cefm.jpg

Its kind of hard to tell (this is the best picture I could find) but the sun on the crest is done in the metallic Gold while the stripes outlining the sleeves and hem are done in metallic wheat. The shades look very similar from a distance due to the reflective nature but I own this jersey and can tell you without a doubt they are not the same.

THE ONE THING THAT GRIND MY GEARS!!!

Corporate Billboard on the outfield wall instead of teams logo County Stadium overuse Billboard reminded me of Major League 2.

Stadium named after a corporation.

You call yourself "Retro" but don't like ads on the outfield wall. This was the norm in stadiums before the 1960s.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Corporate Billboard on the outfield wall instead of teams logo County Stadium overuse Billboard reminded me of Major League 2.

You call yourself "Retro" but don't like ads on the outfield wall. This was the norm in stadiums before the 1960s.

I do to hate stadium named after a corporation. Petco Park! I hate it. I wish teams would just not give into the millions that they get off stadium names. Most of the owners out there don't really need an extra 20 mil for corporate sponsorship. Well except the Mets need extra lol.

3535rx3.jpg

I am Retro slapshot it just that I grew up with the logos on the outfield wall.

I am Retro slapshot it just that I grew up with the logos on the outfield wall.

Does anyone know why they came off in the first place? It was common practice for 50 or more years, then from the 60's- to the Camden Yards Era of 1992 the walls were free of adds.

I don't mind corporate names if they are also a persons name, Coors Field, Wrigley Field, Ford Field or even just one word like Target or Chase (but not PetCo)...and really if it was just City Field...would that be so bad?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Why not give the NHL an instand 20,000-25;000 fans by moving them to canada?

Because the Jets were such a draw before.

I REALLY hate to go off-topic here (so I'm going in size 1 font), but it must be done. Quite honestly, after doing some research on this, the Coyotes are closer to moving to Dat Peg than the Thrashers are, and even that's a stretch. If the Thrashers are gonna move, it won't be to Winnipeg. Even then, there's a good chance that the Thrashers won't even be in discussion to move until the 2013-14 season at the earliest. That's not even "load up the trucks, let's go!" talks, that's "Okay, how are we actually going to do this?" talks. And EVEN THEN, you know how Bettman is when it comes to his Sun-Belt teams. If the Coyotes situation has gone on THIS long with no foreseeable solution in the near future, what evidence could there be that anything different will occur in Atlanta? If a team's gonna move, it's not going to Canada, it's gonna go to either Kansas City, Houston, or another city that's on the edge of being a major league town that is still twice as big of a media market as Winnipeg. People love to talk about moving teams out of failing markets...but moving teams in "failing markets" to cities that already failed as markets? Riiiiiiiiight. Despite this, there's still a decent chance that the Coyotes COULD return to Winnipeg. Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? I don't think so. Is the THRASHERS moving to Canada a possibility? Yes, but a very faint possibility.

The Canadian media is doing a great job of getting Canadian fans riled up about the possibility of one of their "native sons," so-to-speak, coming home. It's all good until you actually look into the facts of the whole deal, which leads me to believe that Winnipeg & Quebec are actually the LEAST likely to get a team, behind some US cities that actually have arenas built & are bigger media markets. Plus, with the news that there are buyers who are planning to keep the team in ATL, this makes the situation more & more bleak for our friends in the North. So yeah, this particular Thrashers fan is not worried at all about his team moving. The only team leaving Atlanta will be the 8 clowns who currently run the team (Hawks & Philips Arena included). So, I guess the next target for pro-Canada fans will be the Panthers...then the Stars...then the Islanders...and so on & so forth. I almost feel sorry for Jets & Nordiques fans...then I'm reminded of the snobbery & elitism of fans who didn't bother showing up for a team until right before they were about to leave, & all of that compassion goes right down the drain. Either way, I'd blame the Canadian media for stringing some of you along into thinking that this is an imminent possibility when in fact...it's not. Winnipeg & Quebec are being used by the owners as idle threats, and by the Canadian media outlets for views. It's sad.

The situation the Thrashers are in is similar to that of the Blackhawks while Dollar Bill was alive. Awful ownership? Check. Terrible on-ice product? Check. NO FANS in the seats? Check. Yet were people clamoring to move the Blackhawks? Exactly. I've said this before, but if the Thrashers were like the Coyotes in that they were actually winning & people STILL didn't show up, I'd be all for them moving because if the fans can't show up for a winner, will they EVER show up? But the fans here showed up for a winner the ONE SEASON they were actually good. So you're telling me that this city doesn't give a :censored: about hockey because they won't support a franchise's management that hasn't had a clue for 10 of their 11 seasons? Yet, the one time the team was successful, attendance was pretty good? Once again, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

If anybody else wants to debate on this issue, please hit me up on the PM. I promise you I won't hit you up with random youtube videos or macros of The Rock. :lol: Once again, sorry for going off-topic.

-----------------------------------------------------

Okay, now that THAT's done with...

Of course, I have another gear-grinder...BFBS. Oh no, not black...blue. Blue for blue's sake. Guilty as charged: Memphis Grizzlies, Utah Jazz (before this season), Atlanta Thrashers, Atlanta Hawks (navy in this case), Florida Panthers (a wtf if ever there was one).

Agreed. As much as I'm a fan of the Hawks look right now...it would've been much better with the old red-black-yellow look. Then again, I can understand the team wanting to get away from the old days of failure, but they really missed a golden opportunity here.

Another one I just thought of...baseball players not showing socks anymore. One of the best parts of a baseball uniform is the socks. While I'm not particularly a fan of stirrups (more of a fan of this style), I just wish that more players would show socks. The pajama look is not cool.

Archived