Thing I miss in sports

RETROJR79

Watching sports on TV has changed over the years and here's some that I miss...

NFL

Using helmet as the logo.

Helmet clashing on MNF

AstroTurf

MLB

Logos of every teams on the wall

Teams only had 2 uniforms

Teams wearing only 1 hat.

AstroTurf

NBA

At least they don't overuse alternate jersey so I guess the NBA is the same although they do overused alternate logo.

NHL

Jerseys that matches

Old Stanley Cup logo

So wh

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I miss the times before each league over-expanded to the point where you can't familiarize yourself with all the players, you have no idea who anyone is anymore, or who plays for who.

Along with the quality of play before the over-expansion; especially in football and basketball.

BB52Big.jpg

I miss the times before each league over-expanded to the point where you can't familiarize yourself with all the players, you have no idea who anyone is anymore, or who plays for who.

Along with the quality of play before the over-expansion; especially in football and basketball.

Yeah, I was definitely also thinking of dilution of talent, but I was already in run-on sentence territory. As I was posting though, I was particularly thinking of the NHL. Up through high school, I was an NHL and Red Wing fanatic. Then came all the new teams and rule changes, and I didn't know what was what anymore--and I just stopped caring.

World Series day games.

Hartford Whalers.

NO interleague play; I mean, wasn't it great when the teams in the World Series had never met in the regular season? or ever?

When touching a player didn't constitute a foul in basketball; and when taking more than three (or was it two) steps meant traveling.

Knuckleballers.

When the quarterback was an actual football player that could be hit or tackled without worries of a personal foul.

Creativity and orginality in any sports uniform/logo design.

I think the reason this is gone is because in this day and age, the first second a new jersey is made that is sort of unique, everyone bashes it to the ground.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

Kinda miscellaneous (not necessarily all on-field issues):

Frank, Al, and Dan.

Keith Jackson and Bob Griese.

Big 10 early football games with Brad Nessler and Gary Danielson.

The Blazers' court with the white keys and the different colored 3-point lines.

As someone said above - day World Series games (and day LCS games).

Scheduled double-headers.

The Big 8 and SWC.

Sports catalogs that were fun to look at, and every product didn't say "Go online to see more teams". Back in the 90s, Eastbay catalogs were the best.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

World Series day games.

Hartford Whalers.

NO interleague play; I mean, wasn't it great when the teams in the World Series had never met in the regular season? or ever?

When touching a player didn't constitute a foul in basketball; and when taking more than three (or was it two) steps meant traveling.

Knuckleballers.

When the quarterback was an actual football player that could be hit or tackled without worries of a personal foul.

Agreed I love Interleague but its run it course and I also miss the World Series rotation when the AL Champion host in even year and NL Champion in odd year.

- Winnipeg Jets

- Quebec Nordiques

- 2002-2009 London Knights logo

- FoxTrax puck (just bring it back for 1 game for the sake of nostalgia)

- NHL on a tv without Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury

NBC contract expires after next season so maybe FOX will get the NHL in 2012-13.

Its look like that Phoenix Coyotes is moving back to Winnepeg next season.

Archived