Thing I miss in sports

RETROJR79

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO interleague play; I mean, wasn't it great when the teams in the World Series had never met in the regular season? or ever?

Totally agree. I haven't liked Interleague play since its outset. Part of the reason I loved the World Series was that the two teams were guaranteed to have not met in the regular season. It made it so much more awesome.

I'm as old school as it gets with baseball. I hate the DH, fake grass, and stadiums with a roof. That said, I love interleague play. I grew up in an AL city. It's great to get a chance to see NL teams play.

I agree- it's great to catch a Mets Yanks game

Soccer.jpg?t=1301776720England.png?t=1301868161Germany-1.png?t=1301800713FCB.png?t=1303259982

I don't really care about hockey, but after an argument with a Thrashers fan, another thing I miss is hockey in Winnipeg.

You spelled it wrong. It's spelled "Trashers". Only one h. ^_^

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Football jerseys with sleeves.

Powder blue road uniforms.

Guys who hit without batting gloves (or wearing one)

Stick' Em.

Barefoot kickers.

White on home ice, dark on the road.

The NHL actually being on ESPN. And when you could actually watch every playoff game in every round.

The North Stars, the Nordiques, the Jets, and the Whalers.

The Expos.

The Houston Oilers.

Fitzroy

Aussie Rules guernseys without sponsors on the back.

Suburban AFL grounds.

The USFL (in spring).

The triple option.

The Big 8 conference.

Nebraska vs. Oklahoma on Thanksgiving Friday, winner goes to Orange Bowl.

All the important bowl games played on January 1 and being done with that day.

Sports on television before the FOX network existed.

ESPN actually being a sports network and not a sports-themed version of CNN or MSNBC or Fox News.

The Super Bowl on the last Sunday in January.

The last Monday Night Football theme song (with the clashing helmets) that they used BEFORE Hank Williams Jr.

Players who play an entire career with one team.

-the Seattle SuperSonics

-J.J. Redick in a Duke uniform

-Gary Thorne doing NHL broadcasts

-NASCAR before all the cookie cutter tracks and before it was neutered and got taken over by a bunch of generic dudes

-The first half of the 2005 Orioles season

-the Montreal Expos

-when all the big four teams had individual looks, as opposed to now when nearly all teams have red, blue, or both

-Penny Hardaway

-when collecting sports cards was fun and not ruined by the internet

-the Charlotte Hornets

-the days when Duke had a legitimate post player

-ESPN covering teams other than the Yankees and Red Sox

-the Steelers being a bad team

-Golden Goal in the World Cup

-The Mighty Ducks

-The NBA before David Stern turned it into a glorified mafia operation

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

White jerseys at home in the NHL.

You nailed it I'm sure every NHL fans misses the home white jersey.

I guess I'm in the minority, I like seeing the Flyers in orange at home.

BUT, here's a fun compromise; why not alternate it every year? Odd number years teams wear dark at home, even number years they wear white at home. I couldn't imagine it'd be all that difficult to do.

MLB

Logos of every teams on the wall

Teams wearing only 1 hat.

These (not such a big deal about the 1 hat thing, but when I was a lad I tried to make little standings boards out of mini helmets, and I would have hated it if a lot of teams didn't have one helmet.

Creativity and orginality in any sports uniform/logo design.

As opposed to the "good old days" where practically the whole NHL used the same template, or when half of the NBA had arched wordmarks and block numbers, or all but one NFL team had block numbers and most had the same stripes just with different colors?

Maybe there was more originality in the colors, as everyone didn't want to be navy or black, but the actual designs have never been as distinct as they are now, even with the templating that's still somewhat of an issue in the NHL. You can argue that the designs aren't good, but not that there's less creativity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Goalie masks that didn't have to be airbrushed to be cool.

Potvin1.jpg

Burke1.jpg

scan0008.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived