Thing I miss in sports

RETROJR79

I've been thinking about this RH and if ESPN does get the NHL back hopefully in 2012-2013 this is how they should do it.

ESPN- Thursday Night

ABC- Saturday Night

I wouldn't complain about 2 nights of nationally televised hockey!

I prefer white hockey jerseys at home but would be okay with doing what the AHL does, half the year one way and half the other.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Athletes being in movies:

-Space Jam

-Kazam

-He Got Game

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

"You Make The Call"

No wild-cards and no interleague play.

When I could trade all my Yankees and Mets cards to my brother for all his Giants and Mariners cards and not be worried about the actual monetary value of the transaction.

Finally, I miss the North Pole Nicks and the Anchorage Northern Knights.

- Fans who go to games to watch the game, not drink beer and text all game.

- People who keep score.

- ESPN covering sports that are actually happening, not talking about the Dallas Cowboys in March or LeBron in August.

- All networks recognizing teams other than the Yankees, Red Sox, NY Giants, Jets, Heat, and Lakers.

- Talk about hockey before things like the Penguins/Islanders incident happen, and maybe spend a minute on the current Western Conference race instead of a college football player going to the hospital 6 months before the season starts.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

A serious list:

Logos on outfield walls

When Sportscenter was actually awesome (the late 90's)

Patrick, Smythe, Norris, Adams Divisions (Bonus points for divisional playoffs)

NFL games that didn't take 3 1/2 hours

Gary Thorne calling National Hockey Night on ESPN

Bat Day/Stick Day

A not-so-serious list:

Roller Hockey International (Go Rockin' Rollers!)

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

10 that come to mind:

Vladimir Konstantinov

A Wings versus Denver rivalry with real hatred

Stockton to Malone

Hot Rod Hundley on KJZZ

Minnesota North Stars

Orange and black NHL shield

NHL on ESPN theme

NBA on NBC (and the theme)

Non-Edge NHL jerseys

Sports card sets that include all the players and pretty much nothing else

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

White jerseys at home in the NHL.

You nailed it I'm sure every NHL fans misses the home white jersey.

I guess I'm in the minority, I like seeing the Flyers in orange at home.

BUT, here's a fun compromise; why not alternate it every year? Odd number years teams wear dark at home, even number years they wear white at home. I couldn't imagine it'd be all that difficult to do.

Don't get me wrong I love seeing the orange jerseys on home ice, especially after all those years of the black jerseys. But something about white at home that makes me miss it. It's probably because I didn't get to watch games when I was growing up, and the only times I could was the occasional UPN 57 broadcast where I would see the orange roads. Seeing a home broadcast and the white jerseys was a special moment for me.

Additionally, the NHL is literally the only league at any level that doesn't wear white at home. It's weird when high school, collegiate, and minor leagues all have home whites and dark roads, and the highest league of the game has it the other way around.

Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen announcing the game in my front yard ... I mean, the West Coast doubleheader game.

The Bucks not sucking.

Marvelous Marv announcing the Rangers.

Vin Scully announcing the Game of the Week on NBC. Followed by Skip Caray doing the Braves that night.

And ...

Packers-2.png

Penn State vs. Pitt in Football

The ECHL actually meaning the East Coast Hockey League

more the one uniform manufacture in any pro sports league

No BFBS

Regional Sports Networks that is predominantly local and isn't litterer w/ FSN filler programing 1/2 the time

Conference alignment that made geographical sense.

The IHL

Eastern Michigan Hurons

Miami Redskins

Chief Illiniwek

Marquette Warriors

Metro Conference

Most of the NFL wearing white shoes. They match teams' unis so much better than black shoes in most cases mainly because every team has a white jersey. It's all about color coordination.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

White jerseys at home in the NHL.

You nailed it I'm sure every NHL fans misses the home white jersey.

I guess I'm in the minority, I like seeing the Flyers in orange at home.

BUT, here's a fun compromise; why not alternate it every year? Odd number years teams wear dark at home, even number years they wear white at home. I couldn't imagine it'd be all that difficult to do.

Don't get me wrong I love seeing the orange jerseys on home ice, especially after all those years of the black jerseys. But something about white at home that makes me miss it. It's probably because I didn't get to watch games when I was growing up, and the only times I could was the occasional UPN 57 broadcast where I would see the orange roads. Seeing a home broadcast and the white jerseys was a special moment for me.

Additionally, the NHL is literally the only league at any level that doesn't wear white at home. It's weird when high school, collegiate, and minor leagues all have home whites and dark roads, and the highest league of the game has it the other way around.

Darks at home, though, is also a return to the origins of the NHL. I still think it'd be neat to see them swap it up every year though, just to make everyone happy.

Shea Stadium.

(Sorry, someone had to do it).

Beat me to it.

But I miss Shea

Maybe because the Mets are lousy at Citi Field, but as nice as that stadium is it does not have what Shea had. There is no sense of electricity when the Mets are rallying or winning games late. I miss seeing the stands shake, I miss the way the sounds echoed and I miss the old scoreboard.

I also miss Dan Marino throwing to the Marks Brothers.

The Orange Bowl.

Scott Stevens knocking players out.

The Nets are Jammin' commercials

Pullover double knit baseball uniforms.

Affordable Baseball cards with harden stale gum.

Topps Baseball Stickerbooks.

ESPN highlights without music

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

gilmore510.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Great replies to this thread! Brings back lots of memories. Most of mine have been mentioned already, so I'll just add this...

clogo_old_150.gif

...and this...

riverfront_stadium_1.jpg

That picture makes me think of the show WKRP.

But thats a good one Cookie Cutter Stadiums.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived