Thing I miss in sports

RETROJR79

o

Even though I'm not a boxing fan I do miss CBS & NBC showing Boxing on Saturday afternoon when they were no Baseball & Hockey season.

And I do miss NBC Sportsworld & of course ABC Wide World Of Sports.

Great choices. I remember this. Now I miss it.

I'd watch This Week In Baseball in the morning and boxing in the afternoon. Horse Racing too!

Oh yeah horse racing I remembered every night KDOC 56 used to show highlight from Santa Anita.

This week in Baseball before it became a kid show and I'm surprised they don't have This is the NFL anymore and of course NBA Inside Stuff.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching sports on TV has changed over the years and here's some that I miss...

NFL

AstroTurf

This.

atlanta_falcons.jpg

looks wayyy better than

2741559910_47110cc14e_b.jpg

Also:

Sports Specialties team script hats (mainly the L.A. Raiders hats made famous by N.W.A.)

Pat Summerall doing play-by-play

Mediocre bowl games not being played past January 1 (International Bowl, GMAC bowl, bowls other than the Capital One, Cotton, Outback, and BCS bowls)

NBA on NBC

The NOB arching on Atlanta Braves jerseys from 1987-2005

It also ruined many great players careers and hurts like a female dog. It was concrete with a rug over it for god sake.

I understand about the safety issues. Astroturf looked better on TV than AstroPlay, FieldTurf, or whatever they call it. Another example is watching a Saints game on TV....that turf looks like hell compared to the old AstroTurf

I forgot Alcoa's Fantastic Finishes shown on NBC football games at the 2 minute warning.

I'll second Peter Puck, You Make The Call and Mel Allen's late 70's version of This Week in Baseball

Didn't Alcoa also do a "You make the call" segment?

I forgot Alcoa's Fantastic Finishes shown on NBC football games at the 2 minute warning.

I'll second Peter Puck, You Make The Call and Mel Allen's late 70's version of This Week in Baseball

IBM presents....You Make the call!!

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

IBM presents....You Make the call!!

Good call Rambulance I completley forgot You make the call segment. I know they did it for MLB I didn't know they made one for NFL.

Twins At the metrodome

WHAT?! Aside from the Twins winning two World Series there I absolutely hate the Dome. Minus the North Stars leaving it's the worst thing to ever happen to Minnesota sports.

Two World Series trophies would disagree with you. Yes, what was played there could hardly be called baseball, but while they were there and the place was full they had a pretty much unprecedented home field advantage, as their 8-0 home World Series record (compared with their 0-6 road World Series record) could attest.

Never been there I just liked watching games on Tv at the metrodome.

I'll give you the two World Series, but after going to games at the Dome my whole life and then experiencing three games at Target Field last year...it's like comparing a trailer home to the White House.

SportsSig-1.jpg

Twins At the metrodome

WHAT?! Aside from the Twins winning two World Series there I absolutely hate the Dome. Minus the North Stars leaving it's the worst thing to ever happen to Minnesota sports.

Two World Series trophies would disagree with you. Yes, what was played there could hardly be called baseball, but while they were there and the place was full they had a pretty much unprecedented home field advantage, as their 8-0 home World Series record (compared with their 0-6 road World Series record) could attest.

Never been there I just liked watching games on Tv at the metrodome.

I'll give you the two World Series, but after going to games at the Dome my whole life and then experiencing three games at Target Field last year...it's like comparing a trailer home to the White House.

The intimate atmosphere is nice, but come on.

When preseason NFL Games was played on College campuses

The USFL

College Basketball on NBC Sports

USA Network Sports

Southwest Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns

Northeast Louisiana Indians

Normal looking uniforms in HS and College sports

Other thing I miss about sports is the 4 division league. I like the 6 division format but I missed it when MLB just had the East and West or in the NFL East , Central and West.

YES

From a fan standpoint, each major league would be better off it dropped the five or six weakest teams in the league and reverted to a four-division format.

For instance, comparing the 21-team NHL to what exists now is no comparison at all. Essentially all that happened is more teams were added and guys who at one time would have had minor-league careers now get to be NHLers. The same goes for all the leagues...it's just too watered down.

Archived