Thing I miss in sports

RETROJR79

Watching sports on TV has changed over the years and here's some that I miss...

NFL

AstroTurf

This.

atlanta_falcons.jpg

looks wayyy better than

2741559910_47110cc14e_b.jpg

Also:

Sports Specialties team script hats (mainly the L.A. Raiders hats made famous by N.W.A.)

Pat Summerall doing play-by-play

Mediocre bowl games not being played past January 1 (International Bowl, GMAC bowl, bowls other than the Capital One, Cotton, Outback, and BCS bowls)

NBA on NBC

The NOB arching on Atlanta Braves jerseys from 1987-2005

It also ruined many great players careers and hurts like a female dog. It was concrete with a rug over it for god sake.

I understand about the safety issues. Astroturf looked better on TV than AstroPlay, FieldTurf, or whatever they call it. Another example is watching a Saints game on TV....that turf looks like hell compared to the old AstroTurf

I disagree... AstroTurf always looked like crap on TV and in rain it looked like yard lines painted directly on concrete. The purist in me isn't too crazy about FieldTurf either, but it's easily more stomach-able than something that doesn't even come close to resembling actual grass.

Oddly enough though, I actually liked playing on AstroTurf the few times I got a chance to, but that's probably because it was such a rare occurrence when I did.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other thing I miss about sports is the 4 division league. I like the 6 division format but I missed it when MLB just had the East and West or in the NFL East , Central and West.

YES

From a fan standpoint, each major league would be better off it dropped the five or six weakest teams in the league and reverted to a four-division format.

For instance, comparing the 21-team NHL to what exists now is no comparison at all. Essentially all that happened is more teams were added and guys who at one time would have had minor-league careers now get to be NHLers. The same goes for all the leagues...it's just too watered down.

This is just dumb. How many european players were playing in North America when the league had 21 teams? If anything, there is more talent now then ever due to the globalization of the league. There may be a couple of unnecessary teams, but come on. Also, the regular season is bad enough now, but when only the bottom 5 teams didn't make the playoffs, it was essentially meaningless for the majority of the league.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

YES

From a fan standpoint, each major league would be better off it dropped the five or six weakest teams in the league and reverted to a four-division format.

For instance, comparing the 21-team NHL to what exists now is no comparison at all. Essentially all that happened is more teams were added and guys who at one time would have had minor-league careers now get to be NHLers. The same goes for all the leagues...it's just too watered down.

This is just dumb. How many european players were playing in North America when the league had 21 teams? If anything, there is more talent now then ever due to the globalization of the league. There may be a couple of unnecessary teams, but come on. Also, the regular season is bad enough now, but when only the bottom 5 teams didn't make the playoffs, it was essentially meaningless for the majority of the league.

The NHL had a lot of great Europeans in the 1980s. No Russians until the late 1980s, mind you. But the proof is in the pudding - anyone who watched the NHL in the 1980s can easily see the difference between the game then and now. Watch a pre-1992 game on ESPN Classic and you'll see what I mean. The reality is a lot of the new jobs that opened up with expansion are filled with grinders, not skill players. Would the NHL really be worse off if guys like Scottie Upshall or Marc Methot were down in the AHL or East Coast League? I certainly don't think so.

As for the regular season, I'd have to agree - it is so long that it makes the relative value of each game pitifully low unless a team is on the brink of elimination from the playoffs. Immediately shortening the season to 60 games would probably dramatically improve the quality of hockey by boosting the importance of each game and significantly reducing wear and tear players. But as we know, that will never happen - the owners would sooner extend the season to 100 games.

YES

The NHL had a lot of great Europeans in the 1980s. No Russians until the late 1980s, mind you. But the proof is in the pudding - anyone who watched the NHL in the 1980s can easily see the difference between the game then and now. Watch a pre-1992 game on ESPN Classic and you'll see what I mean. The reality is a lot of the new jobs that opened up with expansion are filled with grinders, not skill players. Would the NHL really be worse off if guys like Scottie Upshall or Marc Methot were down in the AHL or East Coast League? I certainly don't think so.

As for the regular season, I'd have to agree - it is so long that it makes the relative value of each game pitifully low unless a team is on the brink of elimination from the playoffs. Immediately shortening the season to 60 games would probably dramatically improve the quality of hockey by boosting the importance of each game and significantly reducing wear and tear players. But as we know, that will never happen - the owners would sooner extend the season to 100 games.

Well once we get the whole middle east situation under control and the doors open for the Pakistanis, and once the unofficial human embargo prohibiting the Chinese from joining the league falls, you'll see.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well once we get the whole middle east situation under control and the doors open for the Pakistanis, and once the unofficial human embargo prohibiting the Chinese from joining the league falls, you'll see.

Then we'll be cooking with gas! :hockeysmiley:

Teams that wore colors besides red and blue.

Absolutely... Loved that this year's superbowl matchup had no red or blue in the team colors (save for the Pittsburgh helmet).

I agree I can't remember one that was like XLV

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Some more things I miss:

-Competent and fair officiating in the NFL and NBA

-Expansion teams that actually won anything relatively quickly (see: Diamondbacks, Marlins, Jaguars, etc.)

No doubt, no doubt

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

I was watching some of the NCAA Tournament preview shows and several of them included highlights from previous years. That got me to thinking of something that I miss. I miss all of the different arenas for the NCAA Tournament having different and distinctive floor designs. I liked how every game looked different depending on where it was being played. Now, every game looks the same.

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

The Winston Cup and Busch Series.

Sports books by Matt Christopher and Thomas J. Dygard.

Simple sports games - Tecmo Super Bowl, Ken Griffey Baseball for SNES. There's a place for MLB The Show/Madden, but there's a place for simplicity too.

One-bar facemasks. Two-bar facemasks, for that matter.

The 1996-2008 49ers uniform.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I was watching some of the NCAA Tournament preview shows and several of them included highlights from previous years. That got me to thinking of something that I miss. I miss all of the different arenas for the NCAA Tournament having different and distinctive floor designs. I liked how every game looked different depending on where it was being played. Now, every game looks the same.

What he said. (Add the fact that black and darkish blue don't go together, regardless of what the Tampa Bay Lightning think.)

Packers-2.png

Archived