Major League Rugby

agentrygraphics

Months ago I posted asking about the idea of "What if the NFL never caught on in the US...and we chose rugby instead to follow?" Alot of you posted your feedback and suggestions, and I appreciate that. I only was able to get around to mocking this idea up this past weekend, so here are the results.

A few things to keep in mind:

1) Rugby logos, aside from a few leagues, are very classic in nature

2) No, there is not meant to...and never will be a rugby team mocked up for every NFL city.

3) Each team is sponsored by a company based (according to my reasearch) in that respective city.

4) Several teams are based on existing rugby teams in their city. I wanted to expand upon the "what if" and imagine that these teams wouldn't be club level anymore, but Pro.

3) Thanks to Fraser for his template.

First up is Cleveland's Parma RFC

Parma-RFC-Kit.jpg

The crest is inspired by the crest for the city of Parma, Italy. Parma is a suburb of Cleveland, and I debated on whether calling the team "Cuyahoga" or "Parma"...obviously with Parma winning in the end.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Then we have Atlanta. Being a former resident of the great city, I can say that it is rich with rugby teams and tradition. The women's side, The Harlequins, are one of the nation's best. There are several mens teams in Atlanta, with the biggest being Atlanta Old White RFC and The Atlanta Renegades.

When crafting this concept, I placed the team in Buckhead...by far Atlanta's wealthiest suburb. The Year in the crest is the founding year for Atlanta Old White, the oldest of Atlanta's rugby clubs.

BUCK-RFC-Kit.jpg

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Now we have an absolute lock in American sports...a team in NYC.

For this, I imagined a situation not unlike Chivas USA, and (almost) Arsenal Colorado. A European team sponsoring an American team I think is feasible for this league, so I (literally) just picked the Leicester Tigers at random.

nyc-tigers.jpg

Would Leicester let NYC change the team colors? Probably not...but what resulted can only be described as the Mets of the rugby pitch.

Next we have the (Chicago) Lions RFC. The Chicago Lions are a real Division I US Rugby team, as seen here. I obviously scrapped their logo, which isn't all that bad to begin with.

For this concept I imagined that they would drop the Chicago...and just go by Lions RFC....no, there is absolutely no basis for that decision.

lions.jpg

Detroit is the only one that I was actually debating about whether to include or not. The uniforms, if I included the gold and navy, ended up looking like rejected Notre Dame uniforms. I went with navy and silver, and feel it looks a bit too much like 1620's kit.

Oh well...anyways...you'll notice the crest has two multi colored squares at the top. This represents Detroit's two major (real life) rugby teams, Detroit RFC (red/yellow/black) and the Detroit Tradesmen RFC (royal/white).

MOTOR-CITY.jpg

Here is Los Angeles RFC. This is another real life club as seen here. I polished up their crest a little, without making it stray from the original. The teams existing colors are black and yellow/gold...so I decided to keep it that way.

larc.jpg

Finally...we have Seattle...or their top existing (real life) club, Old Puget Sound Beach.

I wasn't thrilled about the name...but I went with it. I updated their bulldog, an added a sash element to their kits b/c I noticed I had not had a distinctive feature like that showcased so far in the uniforms.

puget.jpg

@ Mr. Canadien999 - Detroit was founded by the French, so that was a factor in the logo. Rarely, if ever, do you see Detroit teams paying homage to the city's French roots.

@ airmerz - I wondered about that. Thanks for the info. I had it narrowed down to Starbucks, WaMu, and Alaskan Airlines. The starbucks logo looked horrid sitting in the middle of the sash, so I opted for WaMu.

@ Mr. Canadien999 - Detroit was founded by the French, so that was a factor in the logo. Rarely, if ever, do you see Detroit teams paying homage to the city's French roots.

@ airmerz - I wondered about that. Thanks for the info. I had it narrowed down to Starbucks, WaMu, and Alaskan Airlines. The starbucks logo looked horrid sitting in the middle of the sash, so I opted for WaMu.

i guess i learned something today

All of these are very nice and i'm liking all of the logos.

Good to see someone promoting the great sport of rugby!

also, my favourite design is the tigers, i love the one on the left!

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

Archived