Football Giants 2011 throwback?

nybatt

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd kill to have that gumball helmet in my collection :-) [no killing would actually occur - this is called sarcasm]

gumballs5.jpg

Fakes, all of them. I mean the real thing. :D

THESE are real (and mine)

gumball2a.jpg

gumball1a.jpg

How can you tell?

The Chargers one pictured was never made. The orange printing on the Dolphins, Broncos and Browns is pale compared "normal printing". The Eagles wing is flat on the right edge, not curved. The Rams horn wasn't made in that configuration.

Or - I can tell real from fake when it comes to gumball helmets :grin:

It's where I sit.

I'd kill to have that gumball helmet in my collection :-) [no killing would actually occur - this is called sarcasm]

gumballs5.jpg

Fakes, all of them. I mean the real thing. :D

THESE are real (and mine)

gumball2a.jpg

gumball1a.jpg

How can you tell?

The Chargers one pictured was never made. The orange printing on the Dolphins, Broncos and Browns is pale compared "normal printing". The Eagles wing is flat on the right edge, not curved. The Rams horn wasn't made in that configuration.

Or - I can tell real from fake when it comes to gumball helmets :grin:

lol...I remember having them when I was 7 and putting the goal posts together to hang the helmets from. Damn I feel old.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

This thread makes me sad. I wish I had kept my gumball helmets...I had ALMOST the whole league, missing a couple...had multiples (white/red Bills, red/black Falcons, both Bengals, etc)

Had about 35-40 of them.

Now I'm old and all I have is my Redskins-Cowboys Checkers set that I just got for Christmas last year.

:(

87Redskins.png

And while I think we all appreciate the work you do there, Wikipedia is only as accurate as the last vandal who edited it. 24 hours is a very long time for fraudulent information to be sitting out there. Just ask Tiki Barber.

You should never trust anything on Wikipedia that doesn't have a verifiable citation next to it. The only informative worth Wikipedia has is as a clearinghouse for those links to reputable sources of information.

the very concept of an encyclopedia

giantshistory.png

Pick your poison, boys and girls. :D

If I had my way the Giants would be wearing the double lined NY full time.

Would very much like to see the first set on the left. Whatever they do, I hope they're smart enough to use a matte finish on the helmets. Failing to do so kinda fouled up the Packers' throwbacks.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

giantshistory.png

Would very much like to see the first set on the left. Whatever they do, I hope they're smart enough to use a matte finish on the helmets. Failing to do so kinda fouled up the Packers' throwbacks.

I doubt it. We're still one year away from Nike getting the contract :D

giantshistory.png

I doubt it. We're still one year away from Nike getting the contract :D

Plus, many leather helmets did have a noticeable shine to them. The glossy finish didn't bother me one bit on the Packers' throwbacks. Can't say a matte finish would have either, though.

The other issue is, the hard gloss on the helmets allows them to better deflect the impact of a helmet to helmet blow. A matte finish is not quite as safe in that regard.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Really? I hadn't heard that.

I might have to re-think my dislike for the matte helmets.

Coefficient of friction. Two glossy helmets are going to deflect more efficiently than a matte helmet against a glossy one or two matte helmets colliding, however minimal. The extra friction causes the two surfaces to 'grab' longer upon impact, which forces the head and neck to absorb more force, and the current thought is that those tiny impacts build up over time and cause the most long term heath effects when it comes to head injury. This is the reason that the externally padded helmet fell out of fashion. As the collision happened, the soft outer padding deformed and increased the surface area of the impact, as well as the 'grab' time of the impact, resulting the that extra force being absorbed.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Really? I hadn't heard that.

I might have to re-think my dislike for the matte helmets.

Coefficient of friction. Two glossy helmets are going to deflect more efficiently than a matte helmet against a glossy one or two matte helmets colliding, however minimal. The extra friction causes the two surfaces to 'grab' longer upon impact, which forces the head and neck to absorb more force, and the current thought is that those tiny impacts build up over time and cause the most long term heath effects when it comes to head injury. This is the reason that the externally padded helmet fell out of fashion. As the collision happened, the soft outer padding deformed and increased the surface area of the impact, as well as the 'grab' time of the impact, resulting the that extra force being absorbed.

And it has to be extremely minimal, like the difference in MPG your car gets when it's dirty vs. clean and waxed. Sure, the latter is better, but not by much. For the helmets, is the difference for one game even worth mentioning?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

This thread makes me sad. I wish I had kept my gumball helmets...I had ALMOST the whole league, missing a couple...had multiples (white/red Bills, red/black Falcons, both Bengals, etc)

Had about 35-40 of them.

Now I'm old and all I have is my Redskins-Cowboys Checkers set that I just got for Christmas last year.

:(

DUDE. I've got the SAME one!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

On an unrelated note, why do all wikipedia uniforms have weird rounded numbers instead of block numbers.

NFCN-Uniform-GB.png

I think he's trying to be faithful, but it's just a bad template. In a world of SVGs, it might as well be an 8-bit Donkey Kong rendering.

Johnny, I respect the work you do, but we need to give you (and anyone else interested in keeping the uniforms) better tools. There's no reason that they have to be so bad at full resolution, especially now that teams have started re-printing them.

On an unrelated note, why do all wikipedia uniforms have weird rounded numbers instead of block numbers.

File:NFCN-Uniform-GB.PNG

It's just a bad template. In a world of SVGs, it might as well be an 8-bit Donkey Kong rendering.

Johnny, I respect the work you do, but we need to give you (and anyone else interested in keeping the uniforms) better tools.

It needs to be low-res, sorry. The 2011 template is an improvement though.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Archived