Football Giants 2011 throwback?

nybatt

Really? I hadn't heard that.

I might have to re-think my dislike for the matte helmets.

Coefficient of friction. Two glossy helmets are going to deflect more efficiently than a matte helmet against a glossy one or two matte helmets colliding, however minimal. The extra friction causes the two surfaces to 'grab' longer upon impact, which forces the head and neck to absorb more force, and the current thought is that those tiny impacts build up over time and cause the most long term heath effects when it comes to head injury. This is the reason that the externally padded helmet fell out of fashion. As the collision happened, the soft outer padding deformed and increased the surface area of the impact, as well as the 'grab' time of the impact, resulting the that extra force being absorbed.

And it has to be extremely minimal, like the difference in MPG your car gets when it's dirty vs. clean and waxed. Sure, the latter is better, but not by much. For the helmets, is the difference for one game even worth mentioning?

When it comes to head injuries, I don't think people care how minimal the benefit is. That's the point. Those tiny impacts all add up over time to create old men like Earl Campbell (I know, Campbell took his fair share of massive contact, but the end product is what I'm using as the example). It's cumulative. One grain of sand is not much, but add one grain of sand per minute to a jar and you've got a nice handful of sand by the end of your life.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it comes to head injuries, I don't think people care how minimal the benefit is. That's the point. Those tiny impacts all add up over time to create old men like Earl Campbell (I know, Campbell took his fair share of massive contact, but the end product is what I'm using as the example). It's cumulative. One grain of sand is not much, but add one grain of sand per minute to a jar and you've got a nice handful of sand by the end of your life.

Which is why we should outfit players in less protective equipment, not more. Stop giving them the illusion of greater protection while allowing them to pass the results down the road a couple years.

On an unrelated note, why do all wikipedia uniforms have weird rounded numbers instead of block numbers.

NFCN-Uniform-GB.png

It's just a bad template. In a world of SVGs, it might as well be an 8-bit Donkey Kong rendering.

Johnny, I respect the work you do, but we need to give you (and anyone else interested in keeping the uniforms) better tools.

It needs to be low-res, sorry. The 2011 template is an improvement though.

Why does the template need to be low-res? The team logos are all SVGs, and certainly those pose a far greater danger of being misappropriated.

• 3 months later...

Paul Lukas reported that the proposed throwback has been scrapped. No details on what they were planning.

Of Course they scrapped them, they never have any fun with the uniforms, hence the gray pants and inaccurate stripes on the road pants.

The grey pants help the Giants stand out from a the multitude of other red, white, and blue teams in the pro sports landscape. I agree about the pants stripe though. They need to pick one pattern and go with it full time.

Paul Lukas reported that the proposed throwback has been scrapped.

Not completely true yet. The Giants can technically wait until a week before they wear them to unveil them. From what I've been told and from the jerseys that are already made and ready to be sold, I find it hard to believe the Giants would competely scrap this whole 25th Anniversary event.

NFCE-UNIFORM-NYG-V3.2.png

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Paul Lukas reported that the proposed throwback has been scrapped.

Not completely true yet. The Giants can technically wait until a week before they wear them to unveil them. From what I've been told and from the jerseys that are already made and ready to be sold, I find it hard to believe the Giants would competely scrap this whole 25th Anniversary event.

NFCE-UNIFORM-NYG-V3.2.png

throwing back to your previous set is the sorriest excuse ever for the throwback concept...there was a reason that the giants moved away from those uniforms in the fact that they are totally generic and bland, were nearly identical to the bills uniforms (sans helmet), and were mediocre in terms of merch sales.

there isn't anyone on the giants that I know of that wore those but the cardinal sin of throwbacks is throwing back to a uniform when you still have a player on the roster that wore them as standard issue.

Paul Lukas reported that the proposed throwback has been scrapped. No details on what they were planning.

When did that happen? I was wondering about the throwbacks myself, but I don't remember reading anything about them on Paul's site. I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything either.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

He mentioned it yesterday. Scroll down to the comments:

Paul Lukas | August 18, 2011 at 9:02 am | Reply

That Giants throwback plan was scrapped. Honestly, I?m not sure if a different throwback is planned for this year.

His regular Giants source is equipment manager Joe Skiba, so I'd tend to take his word for it.

throwing back to your previous set is the sorriest excuse ever for the throwback concept...there was a reason that the giants moved away from those uniforms in the fact that they are totally generic and bland, were nearly identical to the bills uniforms (sans helmet), and were mediocre in terms of merch sales.

there isn't anyone on the giants that I know of that wore those but the cardinal sin of throwbacks is throwing back to a uniform when you still have a player on the roster that wore them as standard issue.

NYG and Bills jerseys nearly identical .... That has been mentioned more times than I can count, so true. Teams used to be able to choose their own uniform and apparel manufacturer, when did that change, anyone know?? I remember Dallas protesting the system and Jerry Jones had all sideline coaches wear blank team apparel in either navy or white.

SF after their late 90s uniform change, went back to their previous uniform set around 10 years later and it worked for them. Only tweaking that I noticed is that they tweaked down the width of the pant striping and kept the newer tri-color logo.

I'd like to see the Cardinals switch back to their prior uniform set but keep the newer logo .... when wearing white with red pants they'd sure look a helluva lot better. I liked when they had that AZ flag on the sleeves but the bird on top made the sleeves too busy.

3692643.jpg4942870.jpg

NYG and Bills jerseys nearly identical .... That has been mentioned more times than I can count, so true. Teams used to be able to choose their own uniform and apparel manufacturer, when did that change, anyone know?? I remember Dallas protesting the system and Jerry Jones had all sideline coaches wear blank team apparel in either navy or white.

SF after their late 90s uniform change, went back to their previous uniform set around 10 years later and it worked for them. Only tweaking that I noticed is that they tweaked down the width of the pant striping and kept the newer tri-color logo.

I'd like to see the Cardinals switch back to their prior uniform set but keep the newer logo .... when wearing white with red pants they'd sure look a helluva lot better. I liked when they had that AZ flag on the sleeves but the bird on top made the sleeves too busy.

3692643.jpg4942870.jpg

I thought these were excellent:

display_image.jpg?x=291369

He mentioned it yesterday. Scroll down to the comments:

Paul Lukas | August 18, 2011 at 9:02 am | Reply

That Giants throwback plan was scrapped. Honestly, I?m not sure if a different throwback is planned for this year.

His regular Giants source is equipment manager Joe Skiba, so I'd tend to take his word for it.

Thanks for the link...I usually don't peruse the comments, so I missed that one yesterday.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Teams used to be able to choose their own uniform and apparel manufacturer, when did that change, anyone know?? I remember Dallas protesting the system and Jerry Jones had all sideline coaches wear blank team apparel in either navy or white.

Things began to consolodate in the late 90's, when PUMA started outfitting most teams through a league-wide contract in 1999, with the exception of a handfull of teams that were outfitted by Nike. Reebok took over in 2001 and beginning in 2002, took over the Nike teams as well, giving the league a single manufacturer.

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

There was no Puma league-wide contract, although they did outfit several clubs.

Reebok's 2002 deal was the first league-wide uniform manufacuring contract. At the time it was signed in 2000, Adidas outfitted 5 clubs, Puma 13, and Nike 13 (I don't know about the remaining 10). Reebok took over many contracts right away - in 2001, the last year before single-supplier, Adidas still had 5 teams, Reebok had 20, and Champion supplied 5. The following year, 2002, Reebok had all 32 teams.

I thought these were excellent:

display_image.jpg?x=291369

Worst Cardinals uniforms ever.

I know that they wore Blue road jerseys way back in the early Chicago days, but Blue should never ever again be an official Cardinals color. Even though the amount of Blue used was minimal - sleeve stripes and AZ state flag - it was still too much. At least for this die-hard Cards fan.

There was no Puma league-wide contract, although they did outfit several clubs.

Reebok's 2002 deal was the first league-wide uniform manufacuring contract. At the time it was signed in 2000, Adidas outfitted 5 clubs, Puma 13, and Nike 13 (I don't know about the remaining 10). Reebok took over many contracts right away - in 2001, the last year before single-supplier, Adidas still had 5 teams, Reebok had 20, and Champion supplied 5. The following year, 2002, Reebok had all 32 teams.

In 2000, there were only 31 teams, so you covered them all.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived