Dark numbers on dark jerseys

jake22

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wolf Pack/Whale's broadcast booth is seven stories above the ice. I don't know how they can follow the game from that far away.

:shocked: Glad I live in Hamilton, not Hartford.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Pretty sure announcers use binoculars as well as live video feeds of the TV broadcast. Even then they sometimes can't identify the player but that usually happens if the player doesn't turn his back on the play (assuming no shoulder numbers)

Pretty sure announcers use binoculars as well as live video feeds of the TV broadcast. Even then they sometimes can't identify the player but that usually happens if the player doesn't turn his back on the play (assuming no shoulder numbers)

Binoculars work fine for baseball, but would be tough for hockey. The puck is moving too fast.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Binoculars work fine for baseball, but would be tough for hockey. The puck is moving too fast.

So would they rely simply on eye sight or on TV feeds?

I'm not really trying to start an argument btw, just curious

I don't know about the Whale, because their broadcast booth is so high, but that's all we do. Binoculars may come into play when a player is hurt and you can't tell who it is, but I've personally never seen them used.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I liked these except for the fact that black is not one of WVU's colors...

doc4baeb644501a0381696365.jpg

Perhaps that's why the uniform is navy blue (a very dark shade of navy blue, for that matter)...

Nope. Its black.

definitely looks blue to me

Yep, look at the contrast with the ref's black pants. Definitely Navy Blue.

87Redskins.png

Those uniforms are straight-up black. Anyone who's followed Bob Huggins knows he has a penchant for outfitting his teams in black. He's like the June Jones of college basketball or something--I mean heck, check his sideline attire. Anyone remember the whole BFBS fiasco that popped up at K-State some years back? Yep...that had Bob Huggins written all over it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I don't know about the Whale, because their broadcast booth is so high, but that's all we do. Binoculars may come into play when a player is hurt and you can't tell who it is, but I've personally never seen them used.

So how bad is that? I broadcast for Mercyhurst, and the NCAA Atlantic Hockey and ACHA circuits don't have any arenas that big, but when I announced at Tulio Arena in Erie (home of the Otters), it took a period, but after that it was surprisingly easy to identify players, better than small rinks. Is it like that in Hamilton, or is there a point where it's just too far away?

Oh, and I've never seen anybody use binoculars during the play either. It's simply too tough. Very handy for stoppages though

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I liked these except for the fact that black is not one of WVU's colors...

doc4baeb644501a0381696365.jpg

Perhaps that's why the uniform is navy blue (a very dark shade of navy blue, for that matter)...

Nope. Its black.

definitely looks blue to me

Yep, look at the contrast with the ref's black pants. Definitely Navy Blue.

For the last time, they were black

4053804768_0f1691bbd8_o.png

#1's number is what navy blue looks like. The rest of the uniform is black. Anybody else want to be on the losing end of this?

more evidence

Kevin-Jones-black-jersey.jpg

415A4EyWfYL.jpg

next.

PvO6ZWJ.png

For all this talk about West Virginia's black jerseys, I have wondered since last year what color Butler's road set is. I know the school colors are navy and gray, so it wouldn't make sense for them to wear black. The jersey looks black in some shots and navy in others. The sheen of the jerseys makes them look navy, yet the close up shots of the jersey against the lighter navy trim make them look black.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

For all this talk about West Virginia's black jerseys, I have wondered since last year what color Butler's road set is. I know the school colors are navy and gray, so it wouldn't make sense for them to wear black. The jersey looks black in some shots and navy in others. The sheen of the jerseys makes them look navy, yet the close up shots of the jersey against the lighter navy trim make them look black.

Im pretty sure they are black with Navy Trim. If you go to Eastbay here, it claims that the shorts are black.

x0y5nq.png

I too wondered the same thing during their entire tourny run last season... but here it definitely looks like they are black jerseys with a navy blue stripe on the bottom of the shorts.

fd966802f24fdbd73373a3c99b88a2c7-getty-108477625tl023_pittsburgh_p.jpg

90758391980.gif

I too wondered the same thing during their entire tourny run last season... but here it definitely looks like they are black jerseys with a navy blue stripe on the bottom of the shorts.

fd966802f24fdbd73373a3c99b88a2c7-getty-108477625tl023_pittsburgh_p.jpg

Yeah, this bothered me all of last march madness, and now we have to go through it again. These are simply atrocious. There is a navy stripe on the black base at the bottom of the shorts and coming down from the armholes; further, the trim on the neck and arm holes has navy on it. It's really hard to see. Black and navy do not go together, please figure this out: WVU, Butler, SMU, Gonzaga, and any other team who does it.

I don't know if we got to see Butler's home whites at all last year in the tourney, but they wore them in their opener this year. The numbering is navy with a thick black outline, and it's every bit as horrendous and borderline illegible as it sounds. If navy is your primary color, you don't need to add black. It's a combo that's worked exactly once - on the Blue Jackets' old alts. Leave it be.

And message to Bob Huggins: that whole "black is slimming" thing only goes so far. Leave the track suits at practice, dress like a grown-up coach on the sidelines, and back off the hair product, you slimy goo-tub.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So does Gonzaga wear black? I only caught a glimpse of them in the highlights and they looked black. I really wish teams would stop replacing navy with black.

Gonzaga is ridiculous. They already sold their souls to Nike and changed their school colors. Now the colors that Nike hand-picked for them aren't "kewl" enough?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Without reading a good portion of this thread, I am staunchly against dark numbers on dark jerseys because it's usually hard to read or just looks horrible in general.

When it comes to sports I define dark as anything other than white, silver, gold, and maybe some other exceptions (like a really light blue). So for instance, the Saints and Raiders' home blacks with gold and silver numbers are fine. But college football teams like Middle Tennessee's black with blue numbers, Mississippi State's black with maroon numbers, or Washington's black with purple numbers are horrific. They look terrible and are impossible to read from any distance.

Archived