Chilliwak Bruins no more

kiwi_canadian

This whole thing looks like quite the mess on paper. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. (More uniforms for me to design next year!)

Also, a comment made in the Edmonton Oil Kings section indicates that the Oil Kings may be on their way to Grand Prarie next season

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=hzh2x81wxfdjm2mfruxbh55u6

If so, that would be teh fourth WHL team that has failed in Edmonton. Maybe a sign for the WHL to stay in southern Alberta?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole thing looks like quite the mess on paper. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. (More uniforms for me to design next year!)

Also, a comment made in the Edmonton Oil Kings section indicates that the Oil Kings may be on their way to Grand Prarie next season

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=hzh2x81wxfdjm2mfruxbh55u6

If so, that would be teh fourth WHL team that has failed in Edmonton. Maybe a sign for the WHL to stay in southern Alberta?

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3055873

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I suppose Winnipeg could put their farm team in Thunder Bay or some such, but Saskatoon is a much better marketing move; it enables them to attempt to gain a stronghold in a province which, in the past, has more or less split its NHL allegiances between the Jets and Flames. Saskatoon adds about an hour to travel time that teams would be enduring had they been going to Winnipeg instead.

Right. I guess my point was, without another team in Western Canada or the Midwest/Western U.S., travel costs get much worse. The thing about Winnipeg is that is has non-stop/direct flights to many more places than Saskatoon does. Sure, you can fly from S'toon to Toronto and Chicago non-stop/direct but other than that, you are talking about making at least 2 transfers per flight to get to any other AHL city. Not only would travel be expensive, it just became onerous.

I suppose Winnipeg could put their farm team in Thunder Bay or some such, but Saskatoon is a much better marketing move; it enables them to attempt to gain a stronghold in a province which, in the past, has more or less split its NHL allegiances between the Jets and Flames. Saskatoon adds about an hour to travel time that teams would be enduring had they been going to Winnipeg instead.

Right. I guess my point was, without another team in Western Canada or the Midwest/Western U.S., travel costs get much worse. The thing about Winnipeg is that is has non-stop/direct flights to many more places than Saskatoon does. Sure, you can fly from S'toon to Toronto and Chicago non-stop/direct but other than that, you are talking about making at least 2 transfers per flight to get to any other AHL city. Not only would travel be expensive, it just became onerous.

Saskatoon also has daily flights to Minneapolis, and Denver. As well as flights to Vegas and Cancun several times a week for that matter.

:lol:

'Loof Lirpa'

Makes me think of a Vulcan weapon...

STAmokTime.jpg

Should have said the team was moving to Vulcan...

We all realize that "Loof Lirpa" is "April Fool" spelled backwards, don't we?

Aw, you spoiled the fun... :P

Crap. In hindsight, I should have let it ride for a while. We could have reorgainzed the AJHL, WHL, BCHL, ECHL, and AHL in one fell swoop!

Loved the ST:TOS reference with the lirpa, though! :notworthy:

I can haz sig?

Saskatoon also has daily flights to Minneapolis, and Denver. As well as flights to Vegas and Cancun several times a week for that matter.

Are you putting AHL teams in those cities? Otherwise, they could fly to a million places from YXE but it wouldn't be germane to the topic.

Also, we can presume the Saskatoon team would be forced to subsidize the heck out of travel to their little isolated corner of nowhere.

Anyway, as I've been doing more thinking about this master plan for AHL Western Canada, a problem appears to have arisen. Manipeg owns the Moose, and would abandon the Canucks affiliation for the not-Coyotes in the event of a move. Calgary owns the Heat and isn't planning on dropping that affiliation regardless of where the play. However...we're suddenly out of available franchises for the Canucks to use and place wherever. Where are they going to get this team that they will have to move to Western Canada? The Spurs own the current Coyotes affiliate in San Antonio, and since I suspect they like to keep the team around to fill arena dates, they aren't going to be inclined to sell.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Maybe Vancouver will just have to shuttle their guys to and from San Antonio. It's not practical, but neither is San Jose affiliating with Worcester.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The goal is to REDUCE the number of teams on islands in the middle of frickin' nowhere. Not increase them.

I still wish the AHL would have the stones to say "No teams west of the Winnipeg/San Antonio line."

The AHL's goal in the last 10 years since the demise of the IHL has been to increase its presence in the west. They've made no secret about that. The western NHL teams want it, instead of having to ship a player from LA to Manchester, NH or from Anaheim to Syracuse. I think the best fit for an AHL would be Kansas City since it has the Sprint Center rearing to go. Or if ownership is Tulsa or Wichita wants to make the jump from the CHL, those cities have always had solid fan support. Thunder Bay would be awesome for an AHL team, but the holdup is there is no suitable arena for it yet.

The NHL's clubs may want more of a western presence, but the AHL, if it had its way, would probably set up a 30-team league whose western and southern borders are in Pennsylvania. They can talk all they want about league growth and larger markets, but they like the notion of an insular northeast bus league far better.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The NHL's clubs may want more of a western presence, but the AHL, if it had its way, would probably set up a 30-team league whose western and southern borders are in Pennsylvania. They can talk all they want about league growth and larger markets, but they like the notion of an insular northeast bus league far better.

Really? I thought they wanted a big footprint with big buildings, hence San Antonio, Charlotte, Cleveland, Houston, Austin, (Glendale soon), etc., and that the days of "Rangers recall two from AHL Lake Placid" were behind us. Personally, I don't care either way. I like the quaint charm of a Maritime/NE/NY/Penn league, but I also feel that the AHL could (and does) serve a useful purpose by bringing big-city-name, low-overhead hockey to markets that are too overextended or logistically snarled to support the NHL. I'd like to think that if English cities can get behind teams in the Whatever's Below The Premier League and not get buttshook about it, people who really like hockey can get excited about the AHL alongside other pro or top-tier college options.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Get ready to be confused by this fiasco:

Bizzarre Twist

Moving PG solves everyone's problems (except for the 1500 PG fans). Division stays with 5 teams, no one has to make that god-awful trip up there to play 2 and it gives the Spruce Kings better nights to play in the CN Centre. Moving Kootenay means an 11-team Western Conference, which would make the conferences even but the schedule is unbalanced as it is. Also, making the B.C. division and Western Conference bigger makes Victoria's chances of making the playoffs worse, not better. They need to be in it to win it right away if they are to make it a lasting arrangement there.

Really? I thought they wanted a big footprint with big buildings, hence San Antonio, Charlotte, Cleveland, Houston, Austin, (Glendale soon), etc., and that the days of "Rangers recall two from AHL Lake Placid" were behind us. Personally, I don't care either way. I like the quaint charm of a Maritime/NE/NY/Penn league, but I also feel that the AHL could (and does) serve a useful purpose by bringing big-city-name, low-overhead hockey to markets that are too overextended or logistically snarled to support the NHL. I'd like to think that if English cities can get behind teams in the Whatever's Below The Premier League and not get buttshook about it, people who really like hockey can get excited about the AHL alongside other pro or top-tier college options.

I think what the AHL wants is a hybrid where you get the larger cities, yet stay close enough that you can fake at pulling off the bus league of yore-therefore keeping things in Texas and locales eastward. Granted that's partially because the New England teams don't want to play further than a couple of hours away from home at most and still want to have some variety in the teams they play. Also, the Western Conference strains the bus model to the breaking point-I know the Rivermen take the team bus as far as Winnipeg, and that's not ideal either.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The goal is to REDUCE the number of teams on islands in the middle of frickin' nowhere. Not increase them.

I still wish the AHL would have the stones to say "No teams west of the Winnipeg/San Antonio line."

The AHL's goal in the last 10 years since the demise of the IHL has been to increase its presence in the west. They've made no secret about that. The western NHL teams want it, instead of having to ship a player from LA to Manchester, NH or from Anaheim to Syracuse. I think the best fit for an AHL would be Kansas City since it has the Sprint Center rearing to go. Or if ownership is Tulsa or Wichita wants to make the jump from the CHL, those cities have always had solid fan support. Thunder Bay would be awesome for an AHL team, but the holdup is there is no suitable arena for it yet.

Increase the presence in the Midwest maybe...they tried Omaha and Moline and ended up with Calgary destroying both markets (a recurring theme). Iowa was an ownership disaster, and more recently they've been trying to buttress the Texas duo into a trio plus OKC...but that's not really taking the league much further West. They let Utah go to the ECHL, and only caved on Phoenix NorthTM because the cowardly lion has more stones than David Andrews. I can assure you the Heat were not in the AHL's master plan insofar as there is a master plan.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived