2011 UFL Season

tvko

Well now it's official, the CBA is no more. And you know what that means.

UFL

It'll be 5 teams this year: Virginia Destroyers, Omaha Nighthawks, Hartford Colonials, Las Vegas Locos, and Sacto Mountain Lions.

The Locos won it all again last year over the former Tuskers who are now the Destroyers. The Nighthawks got off to a spirited start last year behind the league-best crowd, but the offense became anemic later on and they collapsed. Sacramento was in it 'till the end, but Culpepper couldn't get 'em there. The Colonials sucked.

Even though the season doesn't start for a while, DISCUSS

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

The interesting thing about the UFL is this season they start in August so they should be done before Halloween. This would make their players available for more NFL games. I like the UFL, I just hope they can keep it going.I haven't heard if they'd have another league fashion show like last year for the unis. I think the Destroyers will look like the Redskins current burgundy tops and gold pants but in their colors. That or the Colts.

Well now it's official, the CBA is no more. And you know what that means.

UFL

It'll be 5 teams this year: Virginia Destroyers, Omaha Nighthawks, Hartford Colonials, Las Vegas Locos, and Sacto Mountain Lions.

The Locos won it all again last year over the former Tuskers who are now the Destroyers. The Nighthawks got off to a spirited start last year behind the league-best crowd, but the offense became anemic later on and they collapsed. Sacramento was in it 'till the end, but Culpepper couldn't get 'em there. The Colonials sucked.

Sorry, but your enthusiasm is both hyperbolic and incorrect.

The fact that the Tuskers became the Destroyers is an issue since you cannot gain market share if you still have the same number of markets. By 2011, they claimed they were going to eight teams, not five.

Even the casual NFL fan will turn to college football and even HS sports since they are local and there is a connection as opposed to a 3 year old, still financially-struggling football league.

Plus, they have admitted that the Mark Cuban/HDNet lawsuit for failing to repay a $5MM loan is valid.

UFL Vice President of Communications , Michael Preston gave a statement to then AOL/FanHouse:

The loan from HDNet is one of a number of issues we are dealing with internally. We have every expectation that the matter will be satisfactorily resolved in due course. With respect to our outstanding payables, we have a plan in place and are aggressively working to pay all who are owed outstanding payments by the UFL. We are refining our plans with the full intention of going forward with the 2011 season.

As we have said previously, we like many companies regrettably do not always meet our intended turnaround on payments in these tough economic times when we find ourselves behind in cash flow. We like all new businesses are not immune from the effects of a stagnant economy.

This is an even more premature thread than the one by the guy who was going to commit seppuku over the lockout.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why can't there be an offseason thread for the almighty UFL? It could actually be interesting cause the future of the league is so much in jeopardy.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

Why can't there be an offseason thread for the almighty UFL? It could actually be interesting cause the future of the league is so much in jeopardy.

Do you see threads for the other minor leagues? Even the financially healthy ones?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Do you see threads for the other minor leagues? Even the financially healthy ones?

This is true. But, it's still the other "pro league". I personally am excited about the potential of the upcoming season. It's nice to finally have something "substantial" here in Virginia. I just hope that it can work out the way the league is hoping. Because there are a lot of Fleet members here in VA that are ready to get the season underway.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I for one welcome our new UFL overlords.

This is exactly why the UFL was created and launched when it was, folks - a few years leading up to the anticipated big labor disaster of 2011. Get a few years of operation under your belt, then when the NFL hits its labor wall, you'll be literally the only pro game in town - you give the fans their fix of football, they find out the product isn't as bad as they might've thought, and you earn converted fans that will stay.

It's seemed like the UFL's gameplan for quite some time now. The only things are that (1) they grossly underestimated their operating costs (as all start-up leagues invariably seem to do), (2) they spent way too much on players and not enough on promotion (meaning that they have a good, talented league on their hands, but no one knows it), and (3) as a result of the first two, they don't have enough cash to properly represent themselves to fans as a viable, long-term NFL alternative should the older league not have a 2011 season.

nav-logo.png

This is an even more premature thread than the one by the guy who was going to commit seppuku over the lockout.

Some little person that a current lockou t+ nothing NFL related in August or September.

Watch. When the NFL and the Players Association gets things ironed out, this league will probably fold in the same season or the year after. In a way, the market is over-saturated with football, and even them being a developmental league for the NFL is unrealistic, since that's what college football is for.

The Colonials sucked.

They were 1 game below .500. That's a massive improvement from the sentinels.

Well now it's official, the CBA is no more. And you know what that means.UFLIt'll be 5 teams this year: Virginia Destroyers, Omaha Nighthawks, Hartford Colonials, Las Vegas Locos, and Sacto Mountain Lions. The Locos won it all again last year over the former Tuskers who are now the Destroyers. The Nighthawks got off to a spirited start last year behind the league-best crowd, but the offense became anemic later on and they collapsed. Sacramento was in it 'till the end, but Culpepper couldn't get 'em there. The Colonials sucked.Even though the season doesn't start for a while, DISCUSS
Sorry, but your enthusiasm is both hyperbolic and incorrect.The fact that the Tuskers became the Destroyers is an issue since you cannot gain market share if you still have the same number of markets. By 2011, they claimed they were going to eight teams, not five. Even the casual NFL fan will turn to college football and even HS sports since they are local and there is a connection as opposed to a 3 year old, still financially-struggling football league. Plus, they have admitted that the Mark Cuban/HDNet lawsuit for failing to repay a $5MM loan is valid. UFL Vice President of Communications , Michael Preston gave a statement to then AOL/FanHouse:
The loan from HDNet is one of a number of issues we are dealing with internally. We have every expectation that the matter will be satisfactorily resolved in due course. With respect to our outstanding payables, we have a plan in place and are aggressively working to pay all who are owed outstanding payments by the UFL. We are refining our plans with the full intention of going forward with the 2011 season. As we have said previously, we like many companies regrettably do not always meet our intended turnaround on payments in these tough economic times when we find ourselves behind in cash flow. We like all new businesses are not immune from the effects of a stagnant economy.

There has been speculation of an 'emergency" 6th team in LA to take advantage of the lockout.

The lawsuit has been resolved

My link

I for one welcome our new UFL overlords.This is exactly why the UFL was created and launched when it was, folks - a few years leading up to the anticipated big labor disaster of 2011. Get a few years of operation under your belt, then when the NFL hits its labor wall, you'll be literally the only pro game in town - you give the fans their fix of football, they find out the product isn't as bad as they might've thought, and you earn converted fans that will stay. It's seemed like the UFL's gameplan for quite some time now. The only things are that (1) they grossly underestimated their operating costs (as all start-up leagues invariably seem to do), (2) they spent way too much on players and not enough on promotion (meaning that they have a good, talented league on their hands, but no one knows it), and (3) as a result of the first two, they don't have enough cash to properly represent themselves to fans as a viable, long-term NFL alternative should the older league not have a 2011 season.

Agree with everything you said.

Watch. When the NFL and the Players Association gets things ironed out, this league will probably fold in the same season or the year after. In a way, the market is over-saturated with football, and even them being a developmental league for the NFL is unrealistic, since that's what college football is for.

Huyghe has reported several times that a lockout isn't necessary for the survival of the league, but it would help. The market is not oversaturated, as Omaha and Sacramento proved. College football gameplan's are completely different from pro gameplans, and some players need work before they can play in the NFL.

The thing the NFL needs to do to gain coverage is to sign... wait for it...

Brett Farve

I'm serious. No NFL team is going to sign him, and with the whole ESPN suckfest, the UFL will instantly get a Tv contract.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

It's seemed like the UFL's gameplan for quite some time now. The only things are that (1) they grossly underestimated their operating costs (as all start-up leagues invariably seem to do), (2) they spent way too much on players and not enough on promotion (meaning that they have a good, talented league on their hands, but no one knows it), and (3) as a result of the first two, they don't have enough cash to properly represent themselves to fans as a viable, long-term NFL alternative should the older league not have a 2011 season.

Jim Haslett is a brilliant coach in this league. I dispute your contention on that basis.

Today, we are all otaku.

Just turn your attention to our game here North of the boarder. :P

Agreed. I'd much rather watch the CFL or Arena League instead.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

The good news:ESPN reported that Marty Schottenheimer will coach Virginia

However, they also reported that Chattanooga could be home to the 6th franchise this year, coached by Jim Bates. Personally, I want a 6th team, but Chttanooga? Seriously? That's smaller than Omaha.

Too bush league for my tastes.

Although if they moved the Locomotives there the Chattanooga Choo-Choo's would be fun ^_^

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Just turn your attention to our game here North of the boarder. :P

Agreed. I'd much rather watch the CFL or Arena League instead.

Agreed. If the NFL doesn't play this year I'll be spending my time watching feeds from TSN of the BC Lions or watching NCAA football more rather than wasting time on the UFL. I'd watch the Arena League, but they don't play when the NFL normally does.

The good news:ESPN reported that Marty Schottenheimer will coach Virginia

However, they also reported that Chattanooga could be home to the 6th franchise this year, coached by Jim Bates. Personally, I want a 6th team, but Chttanooga? Seriously? That's smaller than Omaha.

Too bush league for my tastes.

Although if they moved the Locomotives there the Chattanooga Choo-Choo's would be fun ^_^

I bet the UFL was thinking "If the NFL can work in Green Bay, why not Chattanooga?" :lol:

Archived