Chicago Blackhawks question

oddball

I have a question that's been bugging me the past couple of days. After seeing pictures of the Blackhawks giving the President a jersey, it brought back the question that I've been wondering this year. Has the outline to the Blackhawks outline number thinned over the years? I swear at one time it was thicker than it is currently. I just can't find any strong evidence that it was thicker. It may be that's the way I thought it was, and just noticed it was never thicker. I don't know. I figure someone out there might know.

The Hawks outline and cut of number has changed in the last decade on certain numbers. I tried to pull in pictures but having trouble doing so. The most notable cut changes are the 7 and 4 whereby the slant on the 4 and 7 was made with a thinner outline and slightly more angled.

On a related note, I had this convo with my uncle and he wasn't sure. He was looking back at some old Blackhawks jerseys, and was wondering about why the indian head logo has a golden outline instead of black. My initial reaction was that this was likely part of the Blackhawks hosting the 1991 all star game, since most photos of this I've seen have the patch, as thus:

2283323070100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

However, he has a custom jersey with that same gold bordered logo that he claims wasn't from the same year. Is there anyone who can shed some light on the gold border?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I've looked at a number of photos from that era, and that's what they wore...

EDIT: I just noticed that the Roenick photo on the top collage and the lower full-size are identical...looks like they airbrushed the anniversary logo out on the bottom version...or in on the top, hard to tell for sure.

1990-93-blackhawks-roenick-larmer-chelios-belfour-keenan.jpg

jeremy-roenick.jpg

I kinda like the gold outline. Really helped the Indian Head show up against the black sweaters. Otherwise, it was just floating blobs of colors. One thing's for certain, that version of the Indian head is much better than the cleaned-up "smiling" one they use now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

One thing that's for sure, the red stripe on the pants has gotten thinner. In those pictures it's wider than the white stripes bordering it and now it's about the same width.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I kinda like the gold outline. Really helped the Indian Head show up against the black sweaters. Otherwise, it was just floating blobs of colors. One thing's for certain, that version of the Indian head is much better than the cleaned-up "smiling" one they use now.

I'm pretty sure you are thinking of a different thing. You are speaking of the skin color oultine, correct? You made that point before and I agree with you. However, at least on my 15 year old CCM replica, there was a thin embroidered gold outline around the entire logo within the flesh-colored outline. I believe that is what they are speaking of.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't know, man. Yeah, the gold stripe did help on the black jersey, but it looked too drab for my liking on the red and white one; a white outline would have been better.

We compared some photos and it looks like for sure the indian head on the custom jersey isn't the same color as the skin, it's definitely a golden stitch border. Between us that's the only 90's era 'hawks jersey we have. Based on other photos around the web there's some with a gold border, some with the dark tan border.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't know, man. Yeah, the gold stripe did help on the black jersey, but it looked too drab for my liking on the red and white one; a white outline would have been better.

Please PLEASE no one say "pop".

Please PLEASE no one say "pop".

Do you have something against soda "POP"? :hockeysmiley:

Somewhat related, but as I've mentioned on here before, is that the current style of the Blackhawks crest logo (from 1964-1965 through present) has undergone a couple of color tweaks. Here's a visual example:

ChicagoBlackhawks_LogoCompare.png

For the 1996-1997 season, the Gold was darkened and Yellow was added, Then, in 1999-2000, the Green, Yellow and Blue were changed.

Somewhat related, but as I've mentioned on here before, is that the current style of the Blackhawks crest logo (from 1964-1965 through present) has undergone a couple of color tweaks. Here's a visual example:

ChicagoBlackhawks_LogoCompare.png

For the 1996-1997 season, the Gold was darkened and Yellow was added, Then, in 1999-2000, the Green, Yellow and Blue were changed.

And I see he had a nose-job too!

Archived