NHL Redesigns by bohob

bohob

Well, I am back with more concepts. Since football season is over, I've decided to shelve the NCAA Football Concepts for now. They will probably return in the fall. So before baseball gets in full swing, and I start thinking about Minor League Baseball again, I've decided to do some NHL concepts. The first one was already posted in the Lightning Concept Emporium thread, but I felt it was important to show it here as well, since it fits with this thread. Here are the Lighting:

lightning_id.jpg

lightning_homeuni.jpg

lightning_awayuni.jpg

lightning_altuni.jpg

As for the Sharks, I started with the logo set, changing the idea of how to show a shark biting a stick. My version has a Jaws feel, focusing on the nose and teeth on the shark. The type is custom, with a hockey stick filling in the J in San Jose. I also created three alternate marks to round out the package: a crest version of the primary, an SJ mark, and a fin based mark that works as a shoulder patch. The home and away uniforms are pretty straightforward, while the alternate uses a unique striping pattern and teal breezers. Here are the Sharks:

sharks_id.jpg

sharks_homeuni.jpg

sharks_awayuni.jpg

sharks_altuni.jpg

C&C please.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay...I can honestly say I ain't NEVER seen a Sharks concept like that before. I LOVE the exclusion of orange...it's amazing how well those two colors, teal and black, can work together when proportioned correctly (now someone tell that to the Marlins). Now, to the breakdown...

...Not much a fan of the new primary, though I can see what you were going for. The secondary (fin) is pretty good; I'm loving the SJ monogram.

...Pretty slick font rendering, as well...though you might want to look at adjusting that "K" some so it doesn't read like a second "H".

...right now, the home/road pairing present a Jacksonville Jaguar-esque conflict...too much black, not enough teal, though I can see why you did that. That third set is teh buttaz...love the striping job in there. I might also look at applying an outline to the numbers, for contrast...with so much detail throughout the rest of the uniform, the one-layer numbers dont seem to fit in too well. Well actually, on the third set, they look perfectly fine...maybe it's because they're on a black background. (Did you look at doing white-outlined black numbers on the home sweater? I know that kind of thing generally gets frowned upon...but I think it'd look pretty slick here. Plus, the Calgary Flames got away with doing that all those years, so why can't the Sharks? ^_^ )

Overall, you really left an impression on me with the Sharks set...and I get the feeling I won't be the only one.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Imma chime back in here re: that San Jose Sharks third set, since I like it so much. If that black sweater existed in real life, and I could afford to do so, I'd drop guap on that in a heartbeat.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I like everything about the Lightning except for those "whiskers" on the white sweater. I don't like anything about the Sharks except for the third logo.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Imma chime back in here re: that San Jose Sharks third set, since I like it so much. If that black sweater existed in real life, and I could afford to do so, I'd drop guap on that in a heartbeat.

Agreed!!! both striping and logo!!!

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

***SHARKS UPDATE***

I removed the primary for its crest counterpart, since it didn't really have a purpose. I also reworked the K in the Sharks wordmark. The updated home and away sweaters use a shoulder yoke design with simpler striping than the alternate. I also kept the circular shark crest for these jerseys. On the aways, I switched to teal striping and black numbers, to balance out the black breezers. C&C please.

sharks_id2.jpg

sharks_homeuni2.jpg

sharks_awayuni2.jpg

sharks_altuni.jpg

I like the primary better without the wordmark. im not a fan of the wordmark. it seems more like the letters are cased in jello than actual water. for me it doesnt get much better than the sharks real logo. it is honestly one of my favorites ever, so in my mind, there's no way to improve upon it. as far as the jerseys, im not expert on hockey jerseys but they seem solid.

• 2 weeks later...

.:: TEAM #3: CALGARY FLAMES ::.

With the Flames, I wanted to give the team a face lift. Starting with the C logo, I updated the typeface and re-rendered the flames for a more dynamic look. The custom proportions of the C were carried over to the Flames wordmark. The red is slightly darker than the team's current red, as is the the athletic gold.

With the secondary, I wanted to bring back the horse head. Personally, I am a big fan of animal logos, as it helps give teams with abstract names a mascot. The team's attempt, however left much to be desired. From the nose flames and yellow color to the overly abstract front view and lack of a mane, detail after detail alluded to it being a dragon. And as much as I like the idea of a dragon mascot, the horse is a better fit for Calgary.

Uniforms to come. C&C please.

flames_id.jpg

The custom C is a nice try, but I don't think it works as well as their current one. That being said, I really like the horse head logo as well as the font. Nice work!

I agree with this but must insist that the primary logo should still be a flaming C of some sort. The font and the flames may not be quite right, but the Flames should ALWAYS have a flaming C logo. The horse is still nice as a secondary but it shouldn't be promoted.

I also really like that there's no black in this concept. Great job on all of these so far.

thecatch.jpg

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but could you please elaborate on why my version isn't working for you, C-fish & Jake? My biggest issue with the current primary is that the flames are awkwardly rendered. In addition, I think the C could be less generic, which is why I styled it in a manner consistent with the wordmark. And Jake, don't worry, the horse wouldn't be the primary, although it may show up as a crest on the alt sweater.

No worries, to me I just don't think your C flows as well as their current one. On the lower part of your C, where the bottom of the flames attach it looks a little forced, it doesn't really look like their entirely a part of the C. I live in Calgary, and although I don't think their logo is all that good, I've gotten used to seeing it everywhere so it may be a little hard for me to see a different C logo, those are just my thoughts. It's not bad by any means, I just think it could flow a little better.

I love that flames concept. both logos are much better than the ones we've seen in real life. I really like that font, and for some reason the flaming C looks great with it. Actually, so does the F, it might be interesting to try incorporating the F into the design

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Archived