NHL Redesigns by bohob

bohob

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checking into this thread, wow I love some of these concepts!

GREAT work on the Sharks, Flames, and Lightning.

I can't say I'm a big fan on the Kings however. And not because of your work. It's really a great rendering and logo of a crown, and the colors fit well. That being said, I hate the name Kings and the limited logos that can be generated. When I think of "Kings" and a traditional crown, I see jousting, gluttony, and muddy pigs. The Dark Ages pretty much. It's not a great identity, but if it has to be there, your design works very well.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

.:: KINGS ALTERNATE UNIFORM & THRASHERS PRIMARY LOGO ::.

The Kings alternate uniform is pretty straightfoward. I used the existing 3rd sweater template with the black and silver logo I developed, combing the Gretzky and current eras.

lakings_altuni.jpg

For the Thrashers, I wanted to overhaul everything. I started with the color palette, opting for a brown, light brown/rust orange, and carolina blue combination. I figured that brown should be used because the team is named after the brown thrasher, and carolina blue should be incorporated because it's the team's current signature color. With the logo, I studied pictures of brown thrashers to get a more realistic interpretation than the current scheme uses. I took the thrasher rendering and combined it with an A to create the primary mark. I have drawn the rest of the type, but it isn't vectorized yet. C&C please.

thrashers_primary.jpg

I don't think the Thrashers logo really works as an NHL logo. I admire trying to go more realistic, but I think you might have overdone it. I may be alone, but what I really like about the Thrasher's current logo is that they took a pretty bland, mundane, and un-intimidating bird, and stylized it pretty well.

What I see in your logo is a nice render of a thrasher. But I don't think it makes a very good logo for a professional hockey team. And I don't really see the A. I don't think cutting a notch out of the bottom equals an A.

I hope that wasn't too critical. I do like the potential in the color scheme, and I think this could be good if you try to make it more stylized.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Critiques of the logo itself have been given and I'm by no means a design expert, but IMO the Thrashers colors are way too weak. They look good together, but not for a professional sports team. There needs to be at least one bold color to tie everything together. Dare I say, dark blue? I know it just furthers the multiple shades of blue trend, but Atlanta was doing that before anybody else, IIRC.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

The Thrashers is ok and there isn't anything wrong with it, but it doesnt scream A to me which makes it more like an awkward bird to me. I mean, the A is kind of there, but it's not obvious. I think the fact that the left side of the A is thick and the right side isnt equally thick makes it hard to see. If the right side went down farther, it might make it look more like an A. Just a thought. That being said, it does look like a real Thrasher and it is nicely rendered, but like dgnmrwrw said, part of what I like about the real Thrasher logo is how it doesnt look realistic, but more stylized.

.:: UPDATE: THRASHERS LOGOS ::.

As you can see, this version goes in a significantly different direction than the previous attempt. Dgn and jaha, I see your point about the merits of a rendering vs. a logo. As of right now, I have the full bird T slated as the primary and the birdhead as the secondary, since it is very directional and will work better as a shoulder patch. The color have changed as well. The light brown has been removed for yellow, giving the identity more punch. C&C please.

thrashers_logos.jpg

Huge improvement. I do have a slight concern about the horizontal v vertical sizes ratio on the logo--it seems really wide--but that can be addressed later if necessary. I'm also very intrigued by that color scheme. It's certainly unique, and I can't wait to see how it's implemented throughout the uniforms.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

.:: UPDATE: THRASHERS LOGO SET COMPLETE ::.

OK, so I have finalized the logo set. Here's what has changed:

• The brown has been modified so it is slightly darker and redder.

• The light blue was lightened slightly and I made it less green/aqua.

• The numbers have changed significantly. I was not at all happy with the way the last set turned out, so I retooled them.

Hopefully uniforms will be up in about a day or two. C&C please.

thrashers_id2.jpg

Archived