2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So some stranger posts that he thinks that the team that you root for has the best uniforms, and you derive a sense of pride from that?

What else do A's fans have to feel proud about?

Their nine World Series championships, I guess.

If they want to be like Raider fan who believes the "Commitment to Excellence" crap that Al Davis spews out and want to talk about all their championships, go ahead. But the rest of the baseball world has passed the A's by and they have nothing to be proud of besides their uniforms. The A's are just a AAA team that develops players for other teams and takes other team's cast-offs.

So some stranger posts that he thinks that the team that you root for has the best uniforms, and you derive a sense of pride from that?

What else do A's fans have to feel proud about?

Their nine World Series championships, I guess.

If they want to be like Raider fan who believes the "Commitment to Excellence" crap that Al Davis spews out and want to talk about all their championships, go ahead. But the rest of the baseball world has passed the A's by and they have nothing to be proud of besides their uniforms. The A's are just a AAA team that develops players for other teams and takes other team's cast-offs.

Basically a more successful Royals.

If anything, the contrast problem exists on jerseys like Atlanta's navy blue shirts, where you can't see the number and thus cannot identify the player. You need contrast on the jersey itself rather than between the players, since it's hard to mistake a batter or a baserunner for a fielder. Names and numbers often jump out the best against white and grey.

Let's hope the new alternate replaces the blue then.

Legit sources for speculation of changes (sourced from this board, links found in the various MLB uni threads):

- Toronto: the team did on online Q&A where the team official said that if you like the current set, you should buy it now because it won't be available for too much longer.

- San Diego: a team official said they are considering incorporating their current color set with elements of their older style (like the Tucson Padres).

- Marlins: various team officials stating repeatedly their dislike of the teal, and the elimination of most references to "Florida".

- Mets / Astros / Red Sox Patches: they have important team-related anniversaries upcoming in 2012, and MLB has shown a consistent trend of teams wearing patches in these cases.

All these teams are involved in some time of change. That is correct.

You have to respect the history of the Yankees Home uniforms. I understand that they are about tradition, but to be honest I think that their road uniforms are really nothing special and have always wondered why they don't wear the interlocking NY on their road jersey. I personally think that it would be fine for the Yankees to add a navy blue road alternate jersey, but the yankees will never wear anything other than pinstripes at home, I guarantee it.

I agree about the road unis. I don't have to respect anything about the Yankee uniforms just because they haven't changed them (tradition or not). Just because a team doesn't want to change a uniform doesn't make it good. While I do concede that the home unis with the pinstripes and interlocking 'NY' are good, I have never thought that their road unis are anything special at all; to be honest they are down right terrible. Just because you've seen something a billion times doesn't make it "good" it just means that people are used to it and it has become accepted as their identity. If you really want to talk about a great road uni the Yankees wouldn't even be in my top 10 or even 15 to be honest. While its straight speculation on my part, I think that if they hadn't won 27 titles and been as popular the road unis would easily have been changed by now. The Red Sox's newest version of their road unis are substantially better than the Yankees, the only problem is that they are newer and they haven't won as many titles. So do titles and refusal to make major modifications to uniforms over time equate to great design? I personally don't think so.

You have to respect the history of the Yankees Home uniforms. I understand that they are about tradition, but to be honest I think that their road uniforms are really nothing special and have always wondered why they don't wear the interlocking NY on their road jersey. I personally think that it would be fine for the Yankees to add a navy blue road alternate jersey, but the yankees will never wear anything other than pinstripes at home, I guarantee it.

I agree about the road unis. I don't have to respect anything about the Yankee uniforms just because they haven't changed them (tradition or not). Just because a team doesn't want to change a uniform doesn't make it good. While I do concede that the home unis with the pinstripes and interlocking 'NY' are good, I have never thought that their road unis are anything special at all; to be honest they are down right terrible. Just because you've seen something a billion times doesn't make it "good" it just means that people are used to it and it has become accepted as their identity. If you really want to talk about a great road uni the Yankees wouldn't even be in my top 10 or even 15 to be honest. While its straight speculation on my part, I think that if they hadn't won 27 titles and been as popular the road unis would easily have been changed by now. The Red Sox's newest version of their road unis are substantially better than the Yankees, the only problem is that they are newer and they haven't won as many titles. So do titles and refusal to make major modifications to uniforms over time equate to great design? I personally don't think so.

Actually I agree with you. The Yankees have a lot of history in their franchise and their uniforms. The pinstripes are very nice and are only a few minor tweaks (standardizing the NY, right now there are 3 different logos) away from being a great uniform. As for the road jersey, I think that they are horrible and one of the ugliest jerseys in baseball.

What I'm trying to say is, there's a difference between classic and good. the Yankees theme of being classic because they have so much history makes the uniforms classic, but does not by any means make them good. That's what I was trying to say before when I said that I thought the A's had the best uni set, I was not trying to spark an argument, but just show that classic does not always mean good.

Basicly, the Yankees pinstripes are good, but the road uniforms? Classic: Yes, Horrible Looking: I think so

Titles should have nothing to do with how good a teams' uniforms are. For example the Royals (1 title), the cubs and mets (2 titles) the twins, braves, orioles, and tigers (3 titles) just to name a few are teams that have not won an extreme amount of titles, yet have great unifomrs. Especially on a website like this, all about the asthetics of uniforms, success should have nothing to do with how good a uniform is.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Forg to mention this a couple of days ago when I saw it on Twitter. The Houston Chronicle writer Richard Justice spoke to the new Astros owner and he said he has no intention of changing the logo or the colors.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Forg to mention this a couple of days ago when I saw it on Twitter. The Houston Chronicle writer Richard Justice spoke to the new Astros owner and he said he has no intention of changing the logo or the colors.

Noooo!!!!!! I don't know what Astros fans think of it, but man just watched the astros today. While I like the brick jersey, it looked HORRIBLE with a black hat and socks.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Well at least you get a patch next season.

I might be one of the very few who liked the black alternates the Astros had in 2000 and 2001. Anyone else like those?

I liked them, and I know a few people in Houston who do too. The problem with the Astros' use of the black v brick is that the outgoing owner loves the brick and that's why it gets played up so much. Maybe when Crane comes in, they'll phase out some of the gratuitous use of the brick in favor of the black (like maybe the BP jersey).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Just a side note, some of the current Blue Jays minor league teams don't use the current Blue Jays logo on their programs/websites, and jerseys. The Vancouver Canadians have the retro Blue Jays logo on their sleeves. IMO IF the Jays were serious about keeping that "Jays" logo as their identity, they would not be letting their affiliates use an older jays logo.

Just a side note, some of the current Blue Jays minor league teams don't use the current Blue Jays logo on their programs/websites, and jerseys. The Vancouver Canadians have the retro Blue Jays logo on their sleeves. IMO IF the Jays were serious about keeping that "Jays" logo as their identity, they would not be letting their affiliates use an older jays logo.

What about the Bluefield Blue Jays and Dunedin Blue Jays? Their entire identities are based on the current Jays logo, and the Bluefield one is brand-spankin' new.

What minor league teams do don't mean much, the Pulaski Blue Jays used the old T-Bird logo for about 5 years after the Jays ditched it; the Medicine Hat Blue Jays were using the 80s jays logo and fonts up until the early 2000s.

I spoke to the British company hired by the Blue Jays to do their re-branding, they gave no comment but referred me to a Canadian partner of theirs who is handling this client -- TAG is the name (http://www.idearevolution.ca/), they kept saying "get back to us in a week" until I finally gave up and assumed no comment was on its way.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I might be one of the very few who liked the black alternates the Astros had in 2000 and 2001. Anyone else like those?

Most definitely! I still think the black should be used on the road as an alt and the brick as the home alt.

Most definitely! I still think the black should be used on the road as an alt and the brick as the home alt.

Doesn't it kind of seem that they had two separate identities in mind when the Astros made their most recent change? Their current unis seem quite different from their Red Brick Hat and white Alt jerseys, but I can't help but think that the alternate red brick hat and jersey combo doesn't seem like an alt jersey but more like something completely different that they ended up not using. I'm not sure if I'm articulating what I'm trying to say very effectively, but usually a team's alt jersey seems to compliment their full time look as opposed to looking like a secondary comp. Its as if the ownership decided on the primarily black uni set and in the end decided to utilize the red brick set as the alt because it looked good. I just don't think it works at their alt jersey. Personally I think they made the correct choice but I can't help but think that they would have looked EXACTLY like the D-Backs if they had utilized the red brick color as their primary color.

Archived