2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read his question, and thought he probably meant "Has any MLB hat ever not done that?"

The red Boston cap they wore for a few games in 1997. It was different from the 1970's cap because the B had reversed colors (white with a navy outline) and also a red button.

Same with the white cap the Red Sox wore in 1997 (only once, I believe.) White crown, blue brim, white button.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I read his question, and thought he probably meant "Has any MLB hat ever not done that?"

The red Boston cap they wore for a few games in 1997. It was different from the 1970's cap because the B had reversed colors (white with a navy outline) and also a red button.

Same with the white cap the Red Sox wore in 1997 (only once, I believe.) White crown, blue brim, white button.

Now that I'd have to see.

The only thing I'm picture is that god awful white Stars N Stripes cap.

I'm currently trying to find pictures of both the red cap and the white cap that the Red Sox wore in 1997. I believe they wore the white cap once and the red cap a few times, both with the home whites, but neither cap survived that season.

I'm currently trying to find pictures of both the red cap and the white cap that the Red Sox wore in 1997. I believe they wore the white cap once and the red cap a few times, both with the home whites, but neither cap survived that season.

spacer.png

Sorry, I meant in action. I know I saw them both once before. They were in Kevinmets' thread of every MLB cap ever worn, which I currently cannot find.

Sorry, I meant in action. I know I saw them both once before. They were in Kevinmets' thread of every MLB cap ever worn, which I currently cannot find.

Ah, my mistake. I too am looking and finding nada.

spacer.png

[big quote]

Ah, my mistake. I too am looking and finding nada.

Found 'em.

Redsoxredcap.jpg

Whitesoxcap.jpg

These were originally posted in the caps thread by Gothamite about a year and a half ago.

Great find! Now I want that Tom Gordon card.

In this image I got from the AP database, it appears that the Red Sox are wearing cream uniforms. Probably just a trick of the light.

RedSoxRedHat.png

spacer.png

I could be having an Ozzy Osbourne moment here, but I seem to recall, but can't confirm, that the Sox wore the red caps on the road later that summer...against Anaheim I think. I also recall reading that the Sox players asked permission to wear red shoes with the red caps, but were denied by management.

Oh those look like the ice cream man caps the Mets tried. Personally, I wouldn't mind the red ones back but the whites are disposable..

If the Sox are going red caps, they should wear a modern version of their 1975-78 caps. Red crown, blue B outlined in white, blue brim, blue button. This was a fantastic cap. They desperately need a red cap to go with their red alternate, and it wouldn't look bad with the home white either IMO.

You know what I just noticed? The Red Sox 1912 throwback jerseys were apparently a light cream, but the cap was bright white.

20120420_ajw_sj7_016_extra_large.jpg

It's less obvious in direct sunlight (check out the pics Dexter Morgan posted a few pages back), but still. Annoying.

Whoa I just realized that too. It's going to bug the hell outta me now.

Oh those look like the ice cream man caps the Mets tried. Personally, I wouldn't mind the red ones back but the whites are disposable..

If the Sox are going red caps, they should wear a modern version of their 1975-78 caps. Red crown, blue B outlined in white, blue brim, blue button. This was a fantastic cap. They desperately need a red cap to go with their red alternate, and it wouldn't look bad with the home white either IMO.

I would love to see the red caps of the 70's as an alternate. My favorite Sox cap of all time. I have a 9fifty snapback version of it.

Yeah REALLY emberassing typo in my previous post, Gothamite is correct in interpretting what I really meant. As someone who doesn't HATE the 97-01 Angels set, that hat looks AWFUL. Red Sox ones look pretty wierd too.

Three biggest disgraces in sports this year:

3. Braves collapse

2. Red Sox collapse

1. Most Canucks fans actions this post-season

I could be having an Ozzy Osbourne moment here, but I seem to recall, but can't confirm, that the Sox wore the red caps on the road later that summer...against Anaheim I think. I also recall reading that the Sox players asked permission to wear red shoes with the red caps, but were denied by management.

Josh, no Ozzy moment there. The Sox wore them once on the road, and it was in Anaheim. They also wore them in the third of three throwback games at home with Atlanta that year. Atlanta wore Boston Braves unis. The Sox wore white caps with a single red sock (non-New Era, I believe) in the first two. I have Nomar Garciaparra baseball cards with all of these. I found this YouTube clip with highlights from a 1997 Sox win vs. Baltimore. Check the interview toward the end with Jimy Williams rocking his red flat brim style!

Piling on now...

I loved the Mets' white caps, but the Boston version looks awful.

The button is a big part of the problem. I've always thought that white hats look best with colored jerseys and white pants. They can look good with white jerseys but usually end up looking odd to me.

Piling on now...

I loved the Mets' white caps, but the Boston version looks awful.

The button is a big part of the problem. I've always thought that white hats look best with colored jerseys and white pants. They can look good with white jerseys but usually end up looking odd to me.

White caps look the absolute best with white vests with sleeves that match the color of the bill. White caps over colored jerseys look a little too high school/collegiate for MLB, IMO.

Archived