Royals - Army (Ft. Leonard Wood in MO.)

Twins - ?

White Sox - ?

Indians - Army?

Tigers - Air Force (Flying Tigers?)

Blue Jays - Canadian Air Force

Red Sox - Navy? Boston Harbor?

Yankees - Army

Orioles - Air Force or Navy (Navy in Annapolis)

Rays - Navy

Giants - ?

Dodgers - ?

Padres - Navy

Diamondbacks - Army or Marines

Rockies - Air Force

Cardinals - Air Force or Army (Again, Ft. LW)

Astros - Air Force

Brewers - ?

Cubs - ?

Reds - ?

Pirates - Navy

Mets - ?

Phillies - ?

Nationals - Just their stars and stripes. They're name and location in the capital lends them to represent the nation as a whole.

Braves - ?

Marlins - Navy

Feel free to make changes/suggestions at your will.

Note: Air Force Aademy in Colorado, West Point in New York and Naval Academy in Maryland.

EDIT: Whoops. pfan posted his while I'll was writing mine.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would definitely be cool if, instead of every team wearing the same camo pattern on these caps (which is based off of the Army camo pattern), if teams wore something on their hats for a certain service, as mentioned above. Perhaps an anchor to represent the Navy, the famed eagle, globe, and anchor to represent the Marines, camo to represent the Army, and the Air Force's eagle symbol.

For instance, the Yankees have had a long association with West Point (the West Point marching band or chorus often performs the National Anthem before major games, and usually if there's a color guard at the Stadium, it's from West Point), wearing something referencing the US Military Academy (or the Army in general) would be more meaningful than wearing the same camo pattern on their cap as everyone else. Likewise, the Rockies can wear something related to the Air Force or the Air Force Academy. And obviously, the Padres would wear something related to the Marines or the Navy.

It'd be more personalized and unique than every team being shoehorned into the same camo pattern.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

I think it will always be a gimmick to me because it was born that way -- a move to sell merchandise with a hollow promise to donate "some of the proceeds" to charity. When pressed for how much MLB couldn't or wouldn't say.

However, if they changed their minds and now donate 100 percent to charity, then I applaud and support that move. I still question the reasoning behind waiting five years and exhausting every red, white and blue variant before deciding to do so.

I think it would definitely be cool if, instead of every team wearing the same camo pattern on these caps (which is based off of the Army camo pattern), if teams wore something on their hats for a certain service, as mentioned above. Perhaps an anchor to represent the Navy, the famed eagle, globe, and anchor to represent the Marines, camo to represent the Army, and the Air Force's eagle symbol.

For instance, the Yankees have had a long association with West Point (the West Point marching band or chorus often performs the National Anthem before major games, and usually if there's a color guard at the Stadium, it's from West Point), wearing something referencing the US Military Academy (or the Army in general) would be more meaningful than wearing the same camo pattern on their cap as everyone else. Likewise, the Rockies can wear something related to the Air Force or the Air Force Academy. And obviously, the Padres would wear something related to the Marines or the Navy.

It'd be more personalized and unique than every team being shoehorned into the same camo pattern.

Why not let the players pick their branch? I'm sure many of them have family/friends who have served or are currently serving. It'd be nice to see them honor that.

Anubis.png

The Rockies uniform look today.d95c23b223bb86e9144c4acea98d3c0d-getty-145400468.jpg

Wow, the Rockies look much better with that purple hat. Without it, the home uniform looks too similar to the Chicago White Sox. I'm all for the Rockies using purple as their primary color, with black and silver secondary colors.

I adore the purple hat for the Rox, very happy to see it back even if it is a one-game event. However it looks out of place with that Rockies uni, which is NOT a criticism of the hat but of how much more purple their current set (besides the alt) desperately needs.

1985 1989 1991 1992 1993

Time to raise a banner in my lifetime boys!

I adore the purple hat for the Rox, very happy to see it back even if it is a one-game event. However it looks out of place with that Rockies uni, which is NOT a criticism of the hat but of how much more purple their current set (besides the alt) desperately needs.

Actually the black and silver letters/numbers look out of place with the purple caps and purple pinstripes.

Actually the black and silver letters/numbers look out of place with the purple caps and purple pinstripes.

Rockies-Astros are playing two today. So they may be wearing one version for the first game and the black hat for teh nightcap. Interested to see what both teams do uniform-wise.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Cardinals broadcast said "100 percent of the proceeds of the sale of the caps" goes to the MLB veterans charity. Did they misspeak or did the details change this year?

100 percent to charity would change my opinion of this gimmick slightly.

Yep they said 100% goes to Welcome Home. I don't find it gimmicky. It's intention is to honor those that serve our country and they don't seem to mind and rather enjoy it. You see them in the crowd in their uniforms and I see it as it letting them know "this is for you". If people wanna be cynical and say it's "drag", fine you can. But don't act like it's anything more than simply your opinion and not actual fact. Because it's not.

And piratesfan, I rather like that idea. Teams that have a certain branches represented near their location may be able to have different branches represented than the team name, i.e. the Padres and the Navy even though their name may not necessarily correlate to that particular branch, but all in all would be kinda neat to see all branches represented.

"Seem to mind" isn't uniform across the board, or even across service branches. Lukas did an article for ESPN a few years back concerning the camo uniforms. The responses from servicemen & women ranged from "Cool" to "Insulting". I think Marines were more down on it than the other three branches (they do not wear camo unless they are actively on duty, so they don't take kindly to casual camo-wearing), but it's not like everyone in one branch thought it was the worst, or one branch was really in favor. IIRC, it trended more towards liking them than not liking them.

MLB could just put the stars & stripes in the team logo instead of camo. It's like NE kept screwing around with the navy/red/white hats with the S&S in the logo, and then when the logical solution of team color + S&S in the logo presented itself, they decided to try something else instead of completing the set. Hey, there's always next year.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Eh to me personally their beautiful purple don't look much different than black in pinstripe form, at least from any distance.

1985 1989 1991 1992 1993

Time to raise a banner in my lifetime boys!

Rockies wearing their purple tops and regular all black hats.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Archived