2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every Loogodude post I've ever read is like "they don't wear blue and red, they wear red and blue. You should try being more considerate of such things before you post."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But yes, they did the worst possible thing. Rebranding to say "rays of sunshine" and then keeping the devil ray on the sleeve would make about as much sense as the Indians wearing Wahoo on their hats and adding a characature of Gandhi to their sleeves.

But that would be dumb because it would be silly to add Gandhi to a baseball identity, not because of the double-meaning.

Come on man, stay on topic. Be reasonable.

Devil Ray = reasonable for a sports identity

Ray of sunshine = reasonable for a sports identity

Mahatma Gandhi = no place in a sports identity

Buzz_Killington.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I know its a few days late, but i watched the Baltimore game monday, and i believe that Robert Andino of the Orioles had his normal road hat on while everyone else had the stars & stripes road hats on... did anyone else see that???

I know its a few days late, but i watched the Baltimore game monday, and i believe that Robert Andino of the Orioles had his normal road hat on while everyone else had the stars & stripes road hats on... did anyone else see that???

I believe Uniwatch mentioned it

Go A's!

IIRC, they wore them in one game last season with the cream jerseys and it looked awful. With the plain white pinstriped jersey, however, (Puckett era look) I rather like the M cap.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

They wore the 'M' cap 3 games in a row last year on the weekend of August 5th thru the 7th in order to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the '91 Twins. I am glad they added it back into the rotation. I think it should only be worn with the road navy alternate, though.

They wore the 'M' cap 3 games in a row last year on the weekend of August 5th thru the 7th in order to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the '91 Twins. I am glad they added it back into the rotation. I think it should only be worn with the road navy alternate, though.

I think that would look weird. A bad mix of eras IMO. With the home blue alternate and occasionally with the home white would be ideal IMO.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I think that would look weird. A bad mix of eras IMO. With the home blue alternate and occasionally with the home white would be ideal IMO.

Yeah, it's font matches the home jerseys, not the roads.

It looked terrible. The original idea, of course, was not to have it with the throwbacks. But they decided to wear the throwbacks all year after Harmon Killebrew died (a bad decision, IMO), so they busted out the hats.

As for wearing the "M" now, I think the first instance was the stars/stripes "M". They won that game. Maybe that's why they brought it out for the next two games vs. Oakland. Believe me, seeing the Twins win a couple games (thereby helping the drive to lose fewer than 120) is nice, but I hope they don't start using the "M" consistently for that reason. I don't like the little underline. Does it "fit" better with the current uniform? Yeah. But I don't care. I just never liked it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

But yes, they did the worst possible thing. Rebranding to say "rays of sunshine" and then keeping the devil ray on the sleeve would make about as much sense as the Indians wearing Wahoo on their hats and adding a characature of Gandhi to their sleeves.

But that would be dumb because it would be silly to add Gandhi to a baseball identity, not because of the double-meaning.

Come on man, stay on topic. Be reasonable.

Devil Ray = reasonable for a sports identity

Ray of sunshine = reasonable for a sports identity

Mahatma Gandhi = no place in a sports identity

Forget Gandhi, then. It would be like having Chief Wahoo on the hat and a non-specific caricature of someone from India on the sleeve. It would be using two meanings of the same word, which is EXACTLY what the Rays are doing, apparently. So I'd say the topic was stayed on.

Anyway, I guess I had thought that they were still named after the sea creature and the "sunshine Ray" was sort of a toss in. Being named after a "ray of sunshine" is a huge downgrade. If they really wanted to dump the "Devil" for PC reasons, then just keep using the logo and call them the "Rays". "Ray" is a reasonable name for that logo. What they've done is flat out silly.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Anyway, I guess I had thought that they were still named after the sea creature and the "sunshine Ray" was sort of a toss in.

They are.

There are.

Unless the new plan is to put a touch tank of sunshine in the dome...

rays_tank_275x340.jpg

No. They aren't.

An updated Devil Rays patch is on the left sleeve of the new jerseys. The club will also continue to operate a popular touch tank filled with cownose rays during games at Tropicana Field.

"I'm still a nostalgic sort of guy," Sternberg said. "And while I don't want to look back to the past, I think the region should be proud of having a major league baseball team and shouldn't forget all that was involved in bringing it here."

We are now the 'Rays' - a beacon that radiates throughout Tampa Bay and across the entire state of Florida.

2ly2w09.jpg

I would consider the rays patch as kind of a nod to their origins, and not indicative that they are still using that as their mascot.

I would equate it more towards the A's elephant than the Indians chief wahoo patch. It's a symbol of the team but not it's actual name.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived