2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rays actually gave out some 20,000 free tickets in a game in Sept. 2010 against the Orioles, I believe it was the night after they clinched a playoff spot. That alone should tell you how poor the market is. The only good thing that came from that night were the plaid-billed caps that the Rays should bring out a few more times here and there. Those were fantastic.

Many Rays fans love to give the business to the local Yankee and Red Sox fans in the area. Truth is, without all the money those fans help provide the organization on parking, concessions, and tickets, the Rays would be in even deeper trouble. That's a fact. And it's a shame, since the Rays are probably the best run organization in baseball right now, all things considered.

spacer.png

Mets 50th Anniversary all-time team:

250830_482612938432446_23521151_n.jpg

Meh.

Does its job, and for that reason. Subdued, not over the top. Maybe the colors are a little dull and they could have used more orange or something, but I like it.

Rays to... Charlotte? Anyone? It seems like baseball is pretty popular in the Carolina's and it wouldn't mess up the divisions or anything. That's main place that comes to mind for me if the Rays really are trying to relocate.

that would be nice for a team to go to a state where there arent any teams already. that gets really annoying, because they have to fight the other team for fans and whatnot. Charlotte would be a great location

Heads up: The Rangers will wear throwbacks tomorrow against the Houston Astros. They are supposed to be throwing back to 1986 as part of their Fortieth Anniversary celebration. Last time they had the Angels dress up too in era specific uniforms, so I'm guessing we'll see this:

al_1986_texas.gif vs. nl_1986_houston.gif

Although they'll probably wear the racing stripes, I hope they go for rainbow gut jerseys instead. Right now, the Rangers have the 80's logo painted behind home plate... I wouldn't mind seeing it as a permanent logo (fix the outline near Greer County, but otherwise I love it).

Heads up: The Rangers will wear throwbacks tomorrow against the Houston Astros. They are supposed to be throwing back to 1986 as part of their Fortieth Anniversary celebration. Last time they had the Angels dress up too in era specific uniforms, so I'm guessing we'll see this:

Although they'll probably wear the racing stripes, I hope they go for rainbow gut jerseys instead. Right now, the Rangers have the 80's logo painted behind home plate... I wouldn't mind seeing it as a permanent logo (fix the outline near Greer County, but otherwise I love it).

Awesome. It'll be fun to see that uniform matchup.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Rays to... Charlotte? Anyone? It seems like baseball is pretty popular in the Carolina's and it wouldn't mess up the divisions or anything. That's main place that comes to mind for me if the Rays really are trying to relocate.

Braves and Orioles won't like it. Also with the Carolinas, you have to worry about summertime disposable cash going to the vroom-vrooms instead of baseball.

Expanding to the two Spring Training territories was probably a really bad idea, wasn't it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't know how pertinent this is to the conversation, but Tom Grieve was just talking about the old 80's Rangers jerseys (he was the General Manager at the time). He said that the Baseball operations people didn't like the old "RangerS" jerseys when the President of the Club said "if you don't like them, make something better." He said that they wanted to go to a classic jersey; something that you wouldn't want to change in the future, and players and manager Bobby Valentine helped to come up with the new uniform. He also said they referenced the Dodgers on the decision.

Now how true that is I don't know; Grieve is getting a bit older in years. Still, I agree that they probably shouldn't have diverted from those jerseys.

We're you at the game tonight? If so I was too.

We're you at the game tonight? If so I was too.

Where were you if he wasn't at the game?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Truly a shame... until the Twins more closely tie in that TC logo with their current fonts, the M hat is the better option.

As for the Rays... how about Portland? They could move into PGE Park for a couple years while a new stadium is constructed. Portland has proven themselves as a great sports market with the Blazers, and I think they could support another team.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

As for the Rays... how about Portland? They could move into PGE Park for a couple years while a new stadium is constructed. Portland has proven themselves as a great sports market with the Blazers, and I think they could support another team.

As much as I love that idea, it would never happen, at least not in PGE Park. With the renovations that they did to bring the stadium up to MLS standards for the Timbers, it would make left field less than 300 feet away from where home plate last stood, making it as much of a cluster :censored: as the old baseball dimensions for the Polo Grounds or LA Memorial Coliseum . I attended many baseball games there over the years and I hate soccer, so it saddens me that this is the case. I echo your sentiments that Portland could potentially support a big league team though. They certainly couldn't do any worse than Tampa-St. Pete.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Truly a shame... until the Twins more closely tie in that TC logo with their current fonts, the M hat is the better option.

Portland has said before that they would like a team, but they aren't building a stadium. That is a no-go right there. Also, while Portland it a good basketball market, I don't know if it can support baseball 81 nights a year.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

El Paso Diablo Rays

Fixed. B)

Throwback nights would be... interesting, to say the least.

joel_crisler_diablos.jpg

Good God. I wonder if anyone's eyes survived a Diablos/Toros game from that era.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived