2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

They look nice, but too much like the Dodgers. Their current ones are, or should be, a better fit. If they'd just put Rangers back on the homes and ditch all the black drop shadows. Though I would mind the current look minus the piping, as with the throwbacks. Does look pretty good.

Maybe something like this:

TexasRangersConceptPlain.png

The Rangers returning to this will be almost as good as the Mets eliminating black from their identity.

It's amazing how a simple black dropshadow can clutter up and really detract from an otherwise great uniform. Also, the "Texas Texas" needs to go. They might as well go all the way and rename themselves the "Texas Texas of Texas" at this point.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rays were trying to get a new stadium built from around 2007-09, but have since abandoned that. They aren't even trying anymore because the TV ratings are so bad. The last thing they want to do is get locked into a beautiful new stadium to play in front of 19,000 for the next 30 years. I understand not wanting to go to a dark, smelly (from what I've heard) stadium that is far away and in a bad neighborhood, but if the people aren't even watching these young, exciting and competitive teams on TV, they just aren't baseball fans. Even the owner made a comment recently to the effect of "we aren't looking for a new stadium because the market hasn't shown that is cares that much". The Rays are pretty much playing out the string in St. Pete until a relocation opportunity presents itself.

I could be wrong, but hasn't San Antonio been trying for quite some time to get a pro baseball team? I thought at one point the Rays were even considering relocating there. Has anything ever become of this, if it was ever a reality to begin with?

The Marlins faked a move to San Antonio around 2005 or 2006 but successfully bent Miami over the barrel. I don't think anyone really thought Art Dealer and his jerkass stepson were gonna leave south Florida for south Texas, though.

San Antonio is one of the only places left where a major league team could work. It's a very short list.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Trop doesn't smell bad. However, the seating bowl is dirty and needs a deep cleaning. Mostly what seems like 20 years of grime. The concourses and outside are clean though.

Of course the Trop doesn't smell bad! How could a field made of Orange Juice smell bad?

The Marlins faked a move to San Antonio around 2005 or 2006 but successfully bent Miami over the barrel. I don't think anyone really thought Art Dealer and his jerkass stepson were gonna leave south Florida for south Texas, though.

San Antonio is one of the only places left where a major league team could work. It's a very short list.

I don't think MLB could work in San Antonio. I think it's pretty much Montreal, maybe Vancouver and a third NYC team as the only possibilities.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You can scratch Montreal and Vancouver off of that list. MLB more or less gave up on Canada, save for the Blue Jays, after the Expos left.

Also, I doubt that the NYC/northern New Jersey market could support three teams. Not when one of the two existing teams in the market is the New York Yankees.

I would think the list is pretty much San Antonio or Charlotte at this point. Neither seems like a "sure thing" either.

I'd be reluctant to put any more teams in ESS-EE-SEE country due to NASCAR/Braves/minor league concerns. Baseball set out to Ungrow The Game in Montreal and did it successfully. Vancouver is intriguing.

Portland (despite the stadium funding concerns) still feels like it's on the list. Other than that, Charlotte and San Antonio are about it. And neither one of them really has a strong chance. Not for expansion anyway. Sacramento would only happen for the A's, unless they moved out of California altogether and someone decided to move to Sactown. Highly unlikely scenario. I don't think Montreal is gonna get another shot and Vancouver would be out of the question. Seattle, who posed some concerns over sharing the Pacific Northwest with Portland, would absolutely forbid Vancouver who'd be even closer. All in all, there's not much available really. Just a few relocation possibilities that would most likely end up just being leverage tools to have new stadiums built in current locations. And really only the A's, who are set on getting San Jose which is essentially same or nearly the same market, and Tampa Bay.

Either Nashville or Memphis wouldn't be a bad fit. New Orleans doesnt have one, but I guess that isn't a baseball town.

Nashville won't build a stadium for their Triple A team, basically told them to f*** off. They won't build one for an MLB team either. Memphis is an outside possibility, but quite a long shot. NOLA is pretty much tapped out with the Saints and team currently known as the Hornets.

In many ways, I do love the fact that the Trop is a total wasteland.

Buying the cheap third deck tickets and getting to watch games from the outfield seats (LF - favorite seats in any stadium) is always a treat. Especially when my team is in town! And if worst comes to worst, the ushers don't even bother you if you are in the SRO area out there. I love it.

That said - if/when the Rays jump town, it won't be a sad day for me or for baseball. This market has clearly failed - Miami is pretty much in the same boat, but at least they have a stadium people might want to go to now.

spacer.png

The relocation list for me would be a bit bigger. Sorry if some of these cities don't seem right, or the city already said they don't want baseball. Charlotte, Indianapolis, Nashville or Memphis, and Portland could work to have a team. There might have to be some realignment if Portland gets a team though.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Without even considering the degree to which MLB crapped all over the Montreal baseball market, we have to remember that Montreal's anglophone population has declined sharply since the team's inception, and it was in all likelihood the beginning of the end when the province started legislating away English, and in turn English speakers. The Expos' original owners, the Bronfmans, are a serious old-money family of English-speaking Jews, the sort who if not for being billionaires would be made to feel rather unwelcome. As neat as it is to hear baseball terminology translated into French, baseball was far more popular among English speakers than among French speakers, and that bedrock of anglophone Montrealers isn't what it used to be. Remember that Toronto wasn't the largest nor most important city in Canada until the '80s, after Loi 101 passed.

You can scratch Montreal and Vancouver off of that list. MLB more or less gave up on Canada, save for the Blue Jays, after the Expos left.

Also, I doubt that the NYC/northern New Jersey market could support three teams. Not when one of the two existing teams in the market is the New York Yankees.

I would think the list is pretty much San Antonio or Charlotte at this point. Neither seems like a "sure thing" either.

Actually, NJ was considered for the Marlins back in 2004 or 2005. Same land as the prudential center and meadowlands.

I remember seeing in the NY post or daily news proposals but they never went further. Loria apparently was the one pushing for it. They would have been a NJ/NY team.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Archived