2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

I can't figure out why people hate the pawing Cubs bear. I think it's one of the better alternate logos in the league. It's not as cartoonish as their other alternates for sure.

Well, I attempted to explain in my long-winded post above, but I'll try again.

It's not a good secondary logo, IMO. It's a fine 1990s primary that is paired with a 1970s primary that was an upgrade of a primary that had already been around for decades.

Maybe if they'd just gone to the walking/pawing cub as the primary in 1997 it would have worked better. Not necessarily changed the unis, but used it like the Cardinals do with the bird on bat that replaced the roundel in the 1990s. But that isn't what they did. I don't feel like it fts with the rest f it, and although everyone seems to think the 1979 update is timeless, it's still a 1979 update that certainly was touchable in 1997.

They need some work. Not saying the "madcub" is the way to go, just that I'd obviously be fine with it. It fits better with their current primary because it was part of the logo package, not an add-on. I'm a bit surprised they haven't returned to some form of the 1937 primary on a uni yet, throwback or otherwise.

Any other teams make this many secondary logo updates without really overhauling the rest of the set? Or at least the home unis?

I think the home pins with the prowling bear in the C in place of the Cubs roundel would look great. I'm not necessarily in favor of ditching the primary logo, but I think the prowling bear would make a good primary. Still not sure why that makes it a bad secondary, although I see your point about using the "C" in three places on one uniform. In terms of something I'd like to look at, I like the prowling bear itself a lot more than the prior three bear alternates.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't figure out why people hate the pawing Cubs bear. I think it's one of the better alternate logos in the league. It's not as cartoonish as their other alternates for sure.

It's not a good secondary logo, IMO. It's a fine 1990s primary that is paired with a 1970s primary that was an upgrade of a primary that had already been around for decades.

Maybe if they'd just gone to the walking/pawing cub as the primary in 1997 it would have worked better. Not necessarily changed the unis, but used it like the Cardinals do with the bird on bat that replaced the roundel in the 1990s. But that isn't what they did. I don't feel like it fts with the rest f it, and although everyone seems to think the 1979 update is timeless, it's still a 1979 update that certainly was touchable in 1997.

They need some work. Not saying the "madcub" is the way to go, just that I'd obviously be fine with it. It fits better with their current primary because it was part of the logo package, not an add-on. I'm a bit surprised they haven't returned to some form of the 1937 primary on a uni yet, throwback or otherwise.

Any other teams make this many secondary logo updates without really overhauling the rest of the set? Or at least the home unis?

I think the home pins with the prowling bear in the C in place of the Cubs roundel would look great. I'm not necessarily in favor of ditching the primary logo, but I think the prowling bear would make a good primary. Still not sure why that makes it a bad secondary, although I see your point about using the "C" in three places on one uniform. In terms of something I'd like to look at, I like the prowling bear itself a lot more than the prior three bear alternates.

l.jpg

Samir: "This is horrible, this idea."

Don't have a pic of it, but Astros pitching coach Doug Brocail was wearing the wrong hat today. The team is wearing the regular brick hats, but he was wearing the S&S brick hat.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

l.jpg

Samir: "This is horrible, this idea."

Now now. Let's not jump to conclusions here

Go A's!

The Rangers and Twins are throwing back to 1994; the first year of baseball at The Ballpark in Arlington. The old "Marshall's badge" logo is behind home plate, and I think they should switch to that full time.

Interesting the Twins wore the MLB 125th patch on the left sleeve, but the Rangers did not. Great to see both uniforms, even if they are recent throwbacks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Rangers and Twins are throwing back to 1994; the first year of baseball at The Ballpark in Arlington. The old "Marshall's badge" logo is behind home plate, and I think they should switch to that full time.

both teams should go back to wearing those jerseys...

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

The Rangers look fantastic with what they are wearing tonight.

Always preferred their red-centric identity, though given the way their chief rivals are now, it's probably better that they stay as a royal blue-team instead.

Yes, the Rangers looked SO much better than they have in the past ten years. Those jerseys were great and so clean. I agree that it might be best to stick with royal blue since the Angels took red, so they should just swap red and blue on that set, including having blue placket piping. The placket piping made the unis look much better.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Its probably already known, but the All Star selections don't have those little stars on the back of their jerseys or hats this year. I actually liked it last year. Wish they would of done it again

The hats do have the stars. All the ones i have seen including my Marlins hat has them. They are very cheapily made and can easily peel off the hats. Not sure about the jerseys. I hope they are not because it makes the jerseys harder to turn into an all star jersey down the line. I don't like the idea of spending probably around 320+ for a jersey because it has cheap felt stars and a patch I could add for cheap later.

I don't think thats true. The only game I watched last night was the Tigers vs. Twins game, but I didn't see any stars on hats. Maybe I just missed it, but I'm pretty sure. Also, Uni Watch is saying that no one had them last night.

Sorry that's my mistake. I somehow completly overlooked the fact you said "selections" and though you were talking about the retails.

I wouldn't be surprised if the players don't wear them except for the Allstar game itself. They supposedly weren't all that popular by the players that didnt want to wear them, whether it was for uniform respect (the Yankees) or they didn't want to stick out ( no I in team feeling)

No big deal, just a misunderstanding. Yeah, I'm guessing you're probably right about why they are not wearing them this year. It makes sense.

I was at Lids today since they're having a storewide 35% sale and I got a chance to look at these AS caps with the patch and stars. I can tell why people would believe the patches would come off. It's the same kind of material they've been using for other patches. It looks OK but I wouldn't wear it. But since they are making them, I have to assume they're going to be worn at the game and probably that's it

I went to the All Star Game FanFest yesterday and in the store where they were selling every team's cap, they were telling people that for an extra $5 you could get the stars put on the cap. I didn't see any firsthand, but it leads me to believe that they are just temporary sticky patches.

Its probably already known, but the All Star selections don't have those little stars on the back of their jerseys or hats this year. I actually liked it last year. Wish they would of done it again

The hats do have the stars. All the ones i have seen including my Marlins hat has them. They are very cheapily made and can easily peel off the hats. Not sure about the jerseys. I hope they are not because it makes the jerseys harder to turn into an all star jersey down the line. I don't like the idea of spending probably around 320+ for a jersey because it has cheap felt stars and a patch I could add for cheap later.

I don't think thats true. The only game I watched last night was the Tigers vs. Twins game, but I didn't see any stars on hats. Maybe I just missed it, but I'm pretty sure. Also, Uni Watch is saying that no one had them last night.

Sorry that's my mistake. I somehow completly overlooked the fact you said "selections" and though you were talking about the retails.

I wouldn't be surprised if the players don't wear them except for the Allstar game itself. They supposedly weren't all that popular by the players that didnt want to wear them, whether it was for uniform respect (the Yankees) or they didn't want to stick out ( no I in team feeling)

No big deal, just a misunderstanding. Yeah, I'm guessing you're probably right about why they are not wearing them this year. It makes sense.

I was at Lids today since they're having a storewide 35% sale and I got a chance to look at these AS caps with the patch and stars. I can tell why people would believe the patches would come off. It's the same kind of material they've been using for other patches. It looks OK but I wouldn't wear it. But since they are making them, I have to assume they're going to be worn at the game and probably that's it

I went to the All Star Game FanFest yesterday and in the store where they were selling every team's cap, they were telling people that for an extra $5 you could get the stars put on the cap. I didn't see any firsthand, but it leads me to believe that they are just temporary sticky patches.

Well most stars in Kansas City are temporary.

That's low

both teams should go back to wearing those jerseys...

What's funny is I HATED that Twins road at the time, but seeing it last night made me realize how much I miss it. Maybe there could be some compromise, the current script on the pins?

Anubis.png

That's low

No it's not. That's a POTD in my opinion.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

So did the Red Sox wear the hat with the patch this weekend because Saturday's day game was a makeup game from the homestand when they were wearing those hats? Or were they just hoping that the hats might give them a turn around?

Anubis.png

That's low

No it's not. That's a POTD in my opinion.

I'd second that.

Archived