2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

I gladly stand corrected on the color, but I think this is always a problem with double-outlines. They complicate the letterforms and make them less legible.

So the Angels use double-outlines? I thought they were just red with a blue outline.

EDIT: They use a single outline on the names but a double-outline and drop-shadow on the front.

image.img.jpg

That front doesn't bother me since the silver drop-shadow is so light. It doesn't affect the legibility of any of the letters.

Twins+Angels+Baseball_Thom+(1).jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AySu5U0CYAAPFvG.jpg

I look at that jersey and the first thing I notice is much double-outlines always suck. There is no reason for the loops of the "R"s and "B" to be filled in with silver, unless the intent is to make the words less legible.

Technically, that is white. The numbers and letters are silver with purple and white outlines. But I agree with you, and that is one of the things which greatly downgrades the White Sox' black alternates. Do other teams with double outlines have that problem? The only current one I can think of is the Angels.

xq9emw.jpg

If I ever played for one of these teams, I think before every game I'd use a Sharpie to fill in some black to make it look better.

Go A's!

AySu5U0CYAAPFvG.jpg

I look at that jersey and the first thing I notice is much double-outlines always suck. There is no reason for the loops of the "R"s and "B" to be filled in with silver, unless the intent is to make the words less legible.

I think double-outlines can work on numbers depending on how well it's executed, but as far as names, I agree... they should always be a single-color whenever possible.

AySu5U0CYAAPFvG.jpg

I think double-outlines can work on numbers depending on how well it's executed, but as far as names, I agree... they should always be a single-color whenever possible.

I think it's a problem/issue (if you even want to call it that) in baseball that doesn't seem to be as present in the other major three. Of course, the thing about it is that oftentimes, that third outline more often than not tends to be white, which just muddies everything up. The Rockies above are one example; the Detroit Tigers' roadies are another that I can think of right off the tip. Contrast that with the below:

7524A_med.jpg

autojersey.jpg

marbrunsigja.jpg

The Jacksonville Jaguars managed to make it work for a while. But then, that's mostly because that outermost outline was the darker of the two, in this case, black. Much less of a visual conflict there. The other thing is that NOBs on baseball jerseys tend to be of a larger scale (that is, the letters are bigger), so it's more noticeable.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I don't really like double outlines when used like the Rockies or the Mariners first teal jerseys, but like Buc's example of the Jags is fine. I also like, like when used on a color jersey, white letters trimmed in silver THEN a darker color, kind of like the Jags example of white/gold/black on teal. If the Rockies went white then silver then purple, that'd be better. Though that black jersey itself just doesn't good no matter how you do the outline.

AySu5U0CYAAPFvG.jpg

When I first saw this, I thought "What is the significance of 7-20 to the White Sox?" Eventually I saw the purple,

figured out it was the Rocks, and made the connection, but geesh... if that's not a sign that Colorado is in desperate need of a rebrand...

The White Sox wear black vests with silver numbers?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't really like double outlines when used like the Rockies or the Mariners first teal jerseys, but like Buc's example of the Jags is fine. I also like, like when used on a color jersey, white letters trimmed in silver THEN a darker color, kind of like the Jags example of white/gold/black on teal. If the Rockies went white then silver then purple, that'd be better. Though that black jersey itself just doesn't good no matter how you do the outline.

The problem is, the silver would blend into the white. Gold on the Jaguars' set was distinctive enough from white, but silver around white would look not be distinguishable in most cases. The White Sox learned that years back. Their first black alternate had everything white with a silver outline, and the Sox logo from any distance just looked like a blob in the shape of the logo. They changed after two years, to the black jersey they currently wear. Hell, that jersey is barely distinguishable in this image, let alone with light hitting the logo:

p71wmdgktkpzxfk68k2voejse.gif

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The problem is, the silver would blend into the white. Gold on the Jaguars' set was distinctive enough from white, but silver around white would look not be distinguishable in most cases. The White Sox learned that years back. Their first black alternate had everything white with a silver outline, and the Sox logo from any distance just looked like a blob in the shape of the logo. They changed after two years, to the black jersey they currently wear. Hell, that jersey is barely distinguishable in this image, let alone with light hitting the logo:

p71wmdgktkpzxfk68k2voejse.gif

The numbers look fine. The Sox logo looks off because of it's design. Regular spaced out lettering (not too thin) would look alright.

AySu5U0CYAAPFvG.jpg

But if you eliminate the silver in the loops of the R and B, it wouldn't look right either, because that would be the only portion of the letter touching black that would not be outlined in silver.

Eliminating the double outline would save everyone the trouble.

Ichiro is rocking the low-rise hat tonight (49-forty?) wh9ch proves one thing to me - the Yanks must stock that hat. Shame more guys don't wear it. The NY looks a little weird though - almost like the jersey NY.

I need to find myself one of those low-rise caps, because I love the 59-fifty, but I feel like it looks like a box on my head....

Anubis.png

Twins+Angels+Baseball_Thom+(1).jpg

This pictures shows what irks me about the Angels and how they feel the need for the "Haloed A" appear 4 times between the cap and jersey. I think the A in the workmark needs to go; it's just awkwardly tacked on next to the rest letters.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

This pictures shows what irks me about the Angels and how they feel the need for the "Haloed A" appear 4 times between the cap and jersey. I think the A in the workmark needs to go; it's just awkwardly tacked on next to the rest letters.

I agree totally, it just looks bad. Same problem with Miami (although it's only 3 times).

I think the Angels looked MUCH better with the gold halo than the silver one they currently use. They should go back to that full-time. The silver just looks flat, while the gold really pops.

Anubis.png

Ichiro is rocking the low-rise hat tonight (49-forty?) wh9ch proves one thing to me - the Yanks must stock that hat. Shame more guys don't wear it. The NY looks a little weird though - almost like the jersey NY.

I need to find myself one of those low-rise caps, because I love the 59-fifty, but I feel like it looks like a box on my head....

It might be a low crown 59-fifty. DOn't the 49-forty hat's haev the NE on the side? I haven't seen one since 2006.

You can get one of the low crowns at MLMD.com or NewEra.com.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived