2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen this posted, but this is a Chipper Retirement logo. It also is part of the poster series that the Braves will be giving away at games.

2012-08-01_Chipper_Bat_4_800.jpg

Man I'm getting old, I remember when he was a top rated prospect at SS. Anyhow next stop for him is Cooperstown.

Couldn't help but notice this in upcoming phillies promotions for August 22nd against the reds.

1990s Retro Night

Join the fun at Citizens Bank Park as we turn back the clock 20 years to the early 1990s for our annual retro night. Phillies and Reds players and coaches will wear retro 1990 uniforms. Celebrate the '90s at the ballpark ? come dressed in your best '90s attire for plenty of surprises.

And it has this picture attached.

rollins_250x288.jpg

Funny that they'll be wearing uniforms more associated with the 70s and 80s, as I associate their current uniforms with the 90s (1992 was the year they changed uniforms and especially considering 93 was when they went to the world series in their current uniforms))

So I'm guessing they will be throwing back to 1990 or 1991.

And the reds then should be wearing this.

paul-oneill-reds.jpg

Only if the phillies were on the road, then they could wear the gray version which is the earliest phillies uniform I remember (well obviously the white one as well)

The '90s Phillies version of that uniform would have a swirl in the P.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have wanted the Reds to wear the 1990 uniforms forever. They've thrown back to the pullovers before, but it's always the 71-87 versions with the single red stripe on the sleeve, stripeless pants, and the gray jerseys without the white outlines around NOB, city, numbers.

I was 5 when they changed to the vests so even knowing the players will wear looser jerseys and pants, seeing these again in some fashion will be awesome. If they get it right, this will be fun.

However, I bet house the Reds don't adjust the logo on their batting helmets to the correct plain white C. it's such a small detail so it's not that big a deal, but if they can't be bothered to match the batting helmet to the road caps for 81 games a year, they're not going to do it for 1 game.

And the Phillies look better in maroon. I wouldn't advocate a full return to the racing stripes, but a modern, pinstriped uniform with the swirly P would look great and unique. Their current unis are stale. Let's fix them.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Seeing those beautiful Phillies unis gave me an idea. I decided to try and create a home and road script based on the "swirly P". It only took me 4 hours and I think I may have something going. Here's the result:

20t46ir.png

1jno5e.png

For some reason, I also don't get the "Pepsi" connection people make with the swirly P.

I think of these (might be because of the filling):

16704za.png

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

There's now a PNC Park corporate wordmark behind home plate. Used to be the only stadium logo was this:

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/pit/images/ballpark/pncpark_logo_235x202.gif

or more rarely, this: http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=onf9ka6th5c4p71ri81tkgthd

Now we've got this, only replace "bank" with "park". Ugh.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpdhmfzO1CGW8ZoojyznxYjQJFAjc7NE18I8IYNEf3GUSLBg1a

1zgyd8w.jpg

Couldn't help but notice this in upcoming phillies promotions for August 22nd against the reds.

1990s Retro Night

Join the fun at Citizens Bank Park as we turn back the clock 20 years to the early 1990s for our annual retro night. Phillies and Reds players and coaches will wear retro 1990 uniforms. Celebrate the '90s at the ballpark ? come dressed in your best '90s attire for plenty of surprises.

And it has this picture attached.

rollins_250x288.jpg

Funny that they'll be wearing uniforms more associated with the 70s and 80s, as I associate their current uniforms with the 90s (1992 was the year they changed uniforms and especially considering 93 was when they went to the world series in their current uniforms))

So I'm guessing they will be throwing back to 1990 or 1991.

And the reds then should be wearing this.

paul-oneill-reds.jpg

Only if the phillies were on the road, then they could wear the gray version which is the earliest phillies uniform I remember (well obviously the white one as well)

Is it me, or do the helmets almost look brown, darker than the red on the rest of the Phillies uniform?

And bonus points for posting a picture of Paul O'Neill.

spacer.png

This Saturday is the Texas Rangers' 40th Anniversary weekend. In addition to Eric Nadel entering the Rangers Hall of Fame, the Rangers will throw back to their 70's era powder blue jerseys against the Detroit Tigers. Considering that the Rangers have gone all out in this and have included the opposing team, I guess we'll see something like this:

al_1977_detroit.gif vs. al_1977_texas.gif

EDIT: Both teams will wear their road sets via Chuck Morgan

Is it that hard for people to post their concepts in the CONCEPTS section?? <_<

In short, yes.

Dude, every 8-10 pages, the "Phily's current set sucks, this is what I would do" thread pops up. People NEVER move it to the concepts thread.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Ugh. One of my oft-used concept pet peeves - Putting Philadelphia on a road Phillies jersey. It is stupid and I've never seen it look good. One, from what other city would a team called the Phillies be from? The nickname is the city identifier. Two, it's a really long word and when it's displayed on a straight plane (which looks bad on the regular Phillies script as is) then it has to be scaled down so much that the letters become tiny. At the very least, arch that thing.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Ugh. One of my oft-used concept pet peeves - Putting Philadelphia on a road Phillies jersey. It is stupid and I've never seen it look good. One, from what other city would a team called the Phillies be from? The nickname is the city identifier. Two, it's a really long word and when it's displayed on a straight plane (which looks bad on the regular Phillies script as is) then it has to be scaled down so much that the letters become tiny. At the very least, arch that thing.

THIS.

I would add to that the insistence on putting the Phillies in powder blue. They only ever used it as a road base, it was never actually properly part of their color scheme.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Archived