2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

you guys are arguing over the fact that it would be stupid to put philadelphia on the road jersey when philles mean the same thing....well then how stupid does the name of the team sound in general,philadelphia phillies...its like calling the mets the new york new yorkers. your argument doesnt make sense if you look at the big picture. Some people like and believe that teams should have the nickname on the home and city/state name on the road, and im one of those, i would hate it if my mets wore mets on the road jersey (even though they did do that for some time). a long name like philadelphia can be done, just look at kansas city, los angeles, san fransico, or cincinnati. and those complaining about the letters being too small, does it matter what size they are, you cant legiably see the script of the larger script on the homes from your seats anyway, unless your teams like the mets, rays, cubs, reds, yankees, or tigers.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you guys are arguing over the fact that it would be stupid to put philadelphia on the road jersey when philles mean the same thing....well then how stupid does the name of the team sound in general,philadelphia phillies...its like calling the mets the new york new yorkers. your argument doesnt make sense if you look at the big picture. Some people like and believe that teams should have the nickname on the home and city/state name on the road, and im one of those, i would hate it if my mets wore mets on the road jersey (even though they did do that for some time). a long name like philadelphia can be done, just look at kansas city, los angeles, san fransico, or cincinnati. and those complaining about the letters being too small, does it matter what size they are, you cant legiably see the script of the larger script on the homes from your seats anyway, unless your teams like the mets, rays, cubs, reds, yankees, or tigers.

Those names aren't in the Phillies' script in which Philadelphia just looks terrible. And guess what, it's a legitimate discussion and opinion for us to have so don't act like we have no right to argue it. No one's saying other cities can't use the city citizen nickname for a team, but it's a case-by-case basis on whether it works. "Phillies" does. "New Yorkers" doesn't. And since Phillies does, with the combination of length, font and redundancy, it's not necessary to put Philadelphia on the roads simply under the "city name should be on roads" so-called "rule".

I don't think it looks as terrible as people make it out to be. It's not a work of art, but it looks pretty neat. It helps if you get rid of the stars dotting the i's, though:

qqru2.jpg

The stars just kinda make it too much, I guess. And the '80s red helps too B)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

brweers2-590x409.jpg

I really wish they'd do a button-down version of these like they did the '82 homes.

Make it grey, and I agree.

I could go for either one to be honest. The Brewers were one of the few teams that actually looked good in powder blue.

I love when teams do these kinds of throwbacks in theory, but holy crap either Majestic can't sew or MLB players these days are complete idiots. These kinds of jerseys always look terrible when players wear them. They are ALWAYS hilariously oversized.

1zgyd8w.jpg

One of my favorite uniforms for the Astros will be worn tonight during the Astros last Flashback Friday promotion.

Screen-shot-2012-08-10-at-16.37.40--590x607.png

Thoughts?

As to the Astros, their beat reporter said on Twitter tonight that the team wants to wear these uniforms on Saturday night as well after their walk-off win tonight, to keep the good karma going.

They wore them again, and walked off again. Only two walk-offs of the year for the Astros. They played a post-game interview on Quick Pitch in which the reporter asked about these "magic uniforms." Whoever answered (Scott Moore?) Said he hoped to wear them again Sunday and then take them on the road.

I'll say this: Seeing them in action makes me appreciate these much more. The bulky wordmark is offset by the simplicity of the rest of the look. And I always preferred this cap to the current.

One of my favorite uniforms for the Astros will be worn tonight during the Astros last Flashback Friday promotion.

Screen-shot-2012-08-10-at-16.37.40--590x607.png

Thoughts?

As to the Astros, their beat reporter said on Twitter tonight that the team wants to wear these uniforms on Saturday night as well after their walk-off win tonight, to keep the good karma going.

They wore them again, and walked off again. Only two walk-offs of the year for the Astros. They played a post-game interview on Quick Pitch in which the reporter asked about these "magic uniforms." Whoever answered (Scott Moore?) Said he hoped to wear them again Sunday and then take them on the road.

I'll say this: Seeing them in action makes me appreciate these much more. The bulky wordmark is offset by the simplicity of the rest of the look. And I always preferred this cap to the current.

Seeing these on the road would be awesome! Unlikely to happen but I'll keep wishing

Go A's!

I don't think it looks as terrible as people make it out to be. It's not a work of art, but it looks pretty neat. It helps if you get rid of the stars dotting the i's, though:

qqru2.jpg

The stars just kinda make it too much, I guess. And the '80s red helps too B)

I totally disagree. I think it looks terrible - kind of childish in a way. I think because of all the loops and round letters - it looks way too "cute", in addition to being too long. Maybe in the actual 40s or 50s script it wouldn't be too bad, but the current script is just too silly for it to look good.

I wouldn't mind Philadelphia on a road jersey, but it'd have to be done in block or something like the Cubs road lettering.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe in the actual 40s or 50s script it wouldn't be too bad, but the current script is just too silly for it to look good.

This looks pretty nice, IMO:

060fc.png

No, that looks like you found some generic looking font off of a free font site. Plus, again, maroon and light blue does not carry a historical color precedence with the team. And looks awkward as well.

Maybe in the actual 40s or 50s script it wouldn't be too bad, but the current script is just too silly for it to look good.

060fc.png

I remember when sports video games didn't have official league licenses, too.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

060fc.png

Better, but the "a"s, "d", and "p" are unnaturally flat.

Also, that script shouldn't be used in those colors, IMO. I don't think light-blue stars work, because 1 light blue wasn't ever a team color, and 2 they just don't provide for contrast against the gray.

If they were to switch back to maroon for some reason, I'd rather the stars be the same color of the script, like they always were up until the 1992 re-design.

I really like maroon, especially a dark-ish shade, I just don't think that recoloring the current set is the way to go with it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just for giggles, I tried it in a favorite font of mine, good old Peignot, which the Whiz Kids script ever-so-vaguely reminds me of:

wGkSN.jpg

Not 100% sold on it, but it's not without its charms. Needs a more distinctive P.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Haven't watched much of the stros this year since they are not living up to what most of us houstonians have been accustom to the last 15-20 years and although I get the money ball scheme they are attempting I still don't like watching a game with 1000 people in the stands...ok now to the point...those 90's unis are freakin awesome I loved them as a young boy when they first came out but seeing them now they are above and beyond the current bs they wear!!!! I would have no problem with them just going back to that look...it was sad when they went away from these cuz they were so short lived and then to replace it with pin stripes and cursive old school baseball crap which is the complete opposite of what the whole premise of the Astros name is about....whether it is AstroTurf or astronauts the name was to portray Houston as futuristic and progressive not copy cats! Great unis forget the orange and blue go with these please!!!!

Just for giggles, I tried it in a favorite font of mine, good old Peignot, which the Whiz Kids script ever-so-vaguely reminds me of:

wGkSN.jpg

Not 100% sold on it, but it's not without its charms. Needs a more distinctive P.

I will only accept this font for "Minneapolis".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Does anyone have photos of every uniform variation the Astros have used this year?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

060fc.png

No, that looks like you found some generic looking font off of a free font site. Plus, again, maroon and light blue does not carry a historical color precedence with the team. And looks awkward as well.

without disrespect but you yell at me for being "boss" around here, yet here is a prime example of you shooting down someone elses opinion...which is it, are we all allowed to voice opinions or are we forced to agree to yours only?

Mets, Jets, Islanders

Archived