2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

Johnny Pesky sounds like the Cardinals version of Red Schoendienst. Schoendienst also happened to be a Hall of Fame player and a very good manager, but it's his dedication to the organization to this day that makes him special. I get that connection between a fan base an individual regardless of his individual accomplishments.

Sure the Pesky jersey tribute would be over the top, but there's nothing wrong with the special relationship between the fans, the organization, and an individual who has dedicated so much of his life to the organization. No need to mock Pesky just because he wasn't a superstar player.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pesky wasn't a hall-of-famer. He was very good (career .300 hitter, led the AL in hits first three years in majors), not great, and the only reason so many people are sad about his death is his dedication to the franchise, a franchise on which he was often overshadowed by Williams, DiMaggio and Doerr. He has a seat among Red Sox royalty.

spacer.png

Wow, I seemed to piss off someone in Boston who found out that the rest of the world doesn't revolve around them and their sports franchises. Again, if it wasn't for the foul pole no one outside of Boston would know or care who Johnny Pesky was. If that pisses you off, oh well.

no, you pissed him off because you are being needlessly disrepectful to a wonderful man who meant a lot to all red sox fans, and doing it only days after he passed away. In other words, you are just being a jerk to be a jerk. If you don't like that, oh well.

Wow, I seemed to piss off someone in Boston who found out that the rest of the world doesn't revolve around them and their sports franchises. Again, if it wasn't for the foul pole no one outside of Boston would know or care who Johnny Pesky was. If that pisses you off, oh well.

no, you pissed him off because you are being needlessly disrepectful to a wonderful man who meant a lot to all red sox fans, and doing it only days after he passed away. In other words, you are just being a jerk to be a jerk. If you don't like that, oh well.

Stop glorifying the man. There are plenty out there that do more and deserve more respect than some average baseball player. You say he was a wonderful man, did you know him? Do you know what he was like when he wasn't in the public eye? How do you know he wasn't the biggest a-hole and he just put on this act to protect his image? Remember just a few months ago when people were glorifying Joe Paterno and we found out he wasn't the great man either and that in reality he was just as average as you and I? It's good that they put an arm band on the sleeve, but please stop glorifying athletes you don't know as being good or great men.

Stop glorifying the man. There are plenty out there that do more and deserve more respect than some average baseball player. You say he was a wonderful man, did you know him? Do you know what he was like when he wasn't in the public eye? How do you know he wasn't the biggest a-hole and he just put on this act to protect his image? Remember just a few months ago when people were glorifying Joe Paterno and we found out he wasn't the great man either and that in reality he was just as average as you and I? It's good that they put an arm band on the sleeve, but please stop glorifying athletes you don't know as being good or great men.

Welp, I guess we can never glorify anybody ever again because of Paterno. By that logic, no public figure should ever be spoken about positively, because of what their private personas MAY have been.

That Lou Gehrig might've been a serial killer. Guess we shouldn't speak highly of him because we didn't know him personally and know how he was out of the public eye.

That Tim Wakefield, who was always incredibly charitable, always donating to the Jimmy Fund and even started his own charity to help sick kids, sure seemed like a good person, but we shouldn't talk positively about him because we didn't know him personally.

Doesn't it seem like you're grasping at straws? "Well, he was a nice enough guy in public, BUTWHATIFHEWASABIG ASSH0LEINPRIVATE!?!?!?!?" What seems more likely, that Pesky was an assh0le in private, but kind and gentle in person to "protect his image"? Or he was a genuinely nice, caring man who devoted his life to the team he loved?

spacer.png

200px-Dustin_Pedroia_2012_(cropped).jpg

heres an actual visual of the armband

I can't seem to find an actual image of the actual patch on an actual uniform during an actual game, but the "6" were on the navy road alts the other night against the Yankees.

spacer.png

Geez ... You all create a ruckus.

A simple armband is all that's needed, if you ask me. Johnny Pesky was an important member of the Red Sox organization not so much for the player role, but for the managing and the coaching roles as well. The fact that he has a retired number and even the RF foul pole named after him is probably more than enough to cemented his importance to them. Having the whole team wear #6 ... well that's over the top.

Slightly off-topic but still dealing with the Red Sox, does anyone else think that when they had red lettering and numbers it looked better? I feel like it had better balance, now there's way too much blue, they are the Red Sox after all.

Didn't want to have to chime in on this since I had hoped some common sense would kick in rather than what appears to be East-West bias but here goes. Johnny Pesky was a good man. Simple as that. It's understandable that in a sports world where selfishness, greed, and money have become the norm as far as players are concerned. But Pesky was a representation of a time when players played a game because they loved the game, rather than strive for that extra dollar. He was a reminder that players could put a team and a sport ahead of themselves.

As far as the questioning if he was truly a good man and not some Paterno-esque facade: I'll vouch that he was indeed a great man in fact. I had the privilege of meeting Johnny Pesky on several occasions. All of them in an informal setting, including his living room! He lived in the town that I grew up in. The man was pure heart and breathed the Red Sox. Yes it may have seemed that the Sox "rolled him out" for special occasions but he served a purpose. Dad's could lean in and tell their sons who Johnny Pesky was, and that he played with Ted Williams and how he left the game he loved to serve his country and that he's who the pole is named after etc. If he wasn't all that is being toted out, he wouldn't be honored and remembered the way that he is. I think Nomar's face here sums up how most of us who know Pesky feel. It's a sad day but the man lived one hell of a life:

756131_082012peskyce014.jpg

Wow people, stay classy.

How about we just leave it at this:

*The man meant nothing to non-Red Sox fans. He's really unknown, so Boston fans, you don't have to "educate" us.

*The man meant a lot to Boston fans. Let them and the team honor and remember him however they want without being bothered.

I normally don't stick up for BoSox fans, they're one of my least-favorite fanbases in the world and I have a personal friend who is one...but when it comes to the death of person in a community (even a sports community), lets try to be civil about it. I had to put up with a ton of trashtalking from people about Sean Taylor when he was murdered...from people who had no idea how he had turned his life around and become a great person and father. I know how it feels, Boston.

87Redskins.png

Slightly off-topic but still dealing with the Red Sox, does anyone else think that when they had red lettering and numbers it looked better? I feel like it had better balance, now there's way too much blue, they are the Red Sox after all.

The Red Sox. Doesn't mean everything has to be red.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Red Sox. Doesn't mean everything has to be red.

Right. Everything doesn't have to be red, but they still looked far better in the last road set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The best color balance is red lettering and numbers, red socks, navy hats, navy undershirts. I know there's "precedent" for the navy on grey, but it looks so dull and stripped to me, like they sort of shut it down after winning two world championships.

Therick.jpg

Gotta love the navy turtlenecks. The Henry group went too far in pushing red everywhere. Then they turned around and got rid of all the red on the road uniforms.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can't seem to find an actual image of the actual patch on an actual uniform during an actual game, but the "6" were on the navy road alts the other night against the Yankees.

Here is a photo showing the 6 patch.

1000x.jpg

The best color balance is red lettering and numbers, red socks, navy hats, navy undershirts. I know there's "precedent" for the navy on grey, but it looks so dull and stripped to me, like they sort of shut it down after winning two world championships.

Therick.jpg

Gotta love the navy turtlenecks. The Henry group went too far in pushing red everywhere. Then they turned around and got rid of all the red on the road uniforms.

I would love to see them add a red outline to the scripts and numbers on the road jersey. I think it would look really sharp.

Therick.jpg

Beat me to it. I always loved how those navy undershirts looked with the set, much better than the red undershirts. I don't know, I just don't think it all balances well when the Sox wear red undershirts and socks with a navy cap.

As for the roadies, I think something along the lines of this would be great:

al_1936_boston.gif

51RNBda1EVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Heck, personally, I'd bring that entire set back; socks, double sleeve piping, outline-less "B" on cap and all.

EDIT: Eh, on second thought, I could go either way with the outlined or outline-less "B". But I do like the look of the '36 cap a lot.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Here is a photo showing the 6 patch.

1000x.jpg

is the 6 on a patch or straight up on the uniform like harmon killebrews memorial?

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

Archived