2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

i can't wait to see the Reds tonight

i love their 91 jerseys

barry_larkin_1991.jpg

pMLB2-13455209dt.jpg

That uniform, and its home counterpart, are the only pullover jerseys that I consider to be "classics". I am so glad that pullovers and elastic waistbands have been purged from baseball, but those were one of the few that really looked good.

FWIW, I like the current Reds jerseys (would even more without that black dropshadow), but I'd fully support the Reds making a button-down version of that set, with thin red-white-red piping on the collar, bottom of the sleeves, and pants (they could keep their current pants). Not dramatically different from their current set, but some slight piping changes and the obvious font change, and deletion of black from their identity.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Cincinnati looks extremely nice in v-necks and elastic waistbands.

How come the Phillies' stripe on the side belt tunnel is missing?

I would like to see the Reds return to a uniform based on this set (no black), but with belts and buttons.

It's sad that the uniforms aren't tailored in the late 1980s-early 90s style of tight pants and closer fitting jerseys.

x1000.jpg

610x.jpgx610.jpg

1992-topps-debut-1991-carreno-front.jpgpaul-oneill-reds.jpg

They got most everything right. They even got the oversized NOB's correct for the Reds. I can live with the small errors. The sleeve cuffs looked a little bigger than they actually were and Majestic still can't properly size a pullover jersey for the players, and the Reds wore black underbills with the MLB logo on the back of the hats, but MAN it was awesome seeing the Reds wear those again.

If they went with a button up, belted version of those I would be as happy as Blue Jays and Mets fans.

They looked great.

PvO6ZWJ.png

all the red sox players are wearing number 6 jerseys tonight

los-angeles-angels-anaheim-v-20120821-163016-790.jpg

That strikes me as being more than a little like honoring your mother's passing by wearing one of her dresses.

It's a showy, attention-seeking tribute to somebody who deserved the much more dignified tribute they're doing on every other day.

Agreed, this is overkill. The patch is appropriate. How is there not a rule against this?

Seriously, why does this bother anyone? Who does it hurt? This was something one team did for one night as a last tribute to a man that had an unusual connection to a team and a fanbase. Its not like every team was asked to do this. Nobody is asking the rest of the country to feel about this the way the red sox do. Why does anyone else even care? How does it affect you?

Yes why is this so terrible for one game. To me teams should have the discretion to do as they see fit for one game. I think of things like the controversy with the Mets wanting to wear first respnder caps last year like they had done in the aftermath of 9/11. There is just no good reason why MLB needs to "approve" these things.

It's the whole "slippery slope" argument. It's OK for 9/11, or maybe Pesky, but at what point does it stop? They have an obligation to wear certain things (Majestic jerseys, New Era hats, etc), but does that mean the teams are allowed to blow off sponsors for one game here or there? Better just to have MLB make the calls on this rather than let everyone do whatever they want.

And no, I am NOT defending MLB's ham-handed handling of the 9/11 First Responders cap situation. There is not a league that is more tone-deaf than MLB (although the NBA is trying with the ads). They should have just told New Era to make a bunch of First Responders caps ASAMFP. New Era SHOULD have to jump for MLB when something extraordinary arises.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

FWIW, I like the current Reds jerseys (would even more without that black dropshadow), but I'd fully support the Reds making a button-down version of that set, with thin red-white-red piping on the collar, bottom of the sleeves, and pants (they could keep their current pants). Not dramatically different from their current set, but some slight piping changes and the obvious font change, and deletion of black from their identity.

So basically, take the piping on the Reds current road uniforms, move it down to the edge of the sleeve, add it to the collar and then apply it to the homes as well? Along with ditching any and all black (save for maybe Mr. RedLegs)? I think that could look pretty nice.

I have to admit, I never thought that that Reds road uniform from the 90's was anything special, but seeing them now in the present day, they are aesthetically one the most beautiful jerseys I've ever seen. Red is my favorite color, especially that rich, ruby red that is apparent in the Votto picture. That combined with the gray base and a touch of white makes that jersey absolutely beautiful. Now there are a few things I'd change. While it does look good in pullover form, I'd definitely add buttons to the jersey. I'd also make the piping less thick (or like McCall and xTr1pleXx suggested, just use their current piping and add it to the collar.) Finally, they should get a better font. A custom font that's based on the "wishbone C" would look great. Just my 2 cents on it.

Sidenote: That maroon Phillies home uniform is also very nice too.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Wow. Cincinnati looks extremely nice in v-necks and elastic waistbands.

How come the Phillies' stripe on the side belt tunnel is missing?

There were some years where it really was missing. Just like there were some years that they used radially arched NOBs as opposed to the vertically-arched version that they used most of the time.

1990 did have the stripe on the tunnel though, so that was inaccurate. Not sure about the NOB but I think they got that wrong last night as well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Finally, they should get a better font. A custom font that's based on the "wishbone C" would look great. Just my 2 cents on it.

I was with you up until this. A custom font based on the wishbone C would look pretty awful/awkward for most letters. Plus we don't need more teams with fonts that have points in the in the middle of the strokes (Angels, Rangers).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Another chance to post my Reds concept. This is what I'd have them wearing. Come to think of it, they're sort of like a red version of the Blue Jays template.

Redsconcept.png

That is really nice! I would suggest the Reds go back to the Tigers-style belt loops that they used in the late 60s-early 70s rather than the all-too-common tunnels.

rose-fosse.jpg

johnny-bench-hof-1.jpg

I thought they were just wearing them for warmups and introductions so I was cool with it, but having learned that they played the entire game wearing matching #6 jerseys, I have to change my stance. That's dumb and a step too far.

Agreed.

If the current Red Sox players really wanted to honor Johnny Pesky, they could have just attended his funeral.

Another chance to post my Reds concept. This is what I'd have them wearing. Come to think of it, they're sort of like a red version of the Blue Jays template.

Redsconcept.png

That is really nice! I would suggest the Reds go back to the Tigers-style belt loops that they used in the late 60s-early 70s rather than the all-too-common tunnels.

rose-fosse.jpg

johnny-bench-hof-1.jpg

I can't stand the giant letters on the NOB on the Reds throwbacks.

I thought they were just wearing them for warmups and introductions so I was cool with it, but having learned that they played the entire game wearing matching #6 jerseys, I have to change my stance. That's dumb and a step too far.

Agreed.

If the current Red Sox players really wanted to honor Johnny Pesky, they could have just attended his funeral.

unfortunately, most of the current red sox don't seem to have respect for themselves, much less the legacy of a man who was such a distinguished part of the organization for 60 years (and this is coming from a die hard sox fan). If we left it up to them they would probably forfeit the rest of the season. As bad as management has been the last few years I give them credit for going all out to recognize the contributions of Johnny pesky. I understand fans of other teams don't get what he means to sox fans but to us this was a no brainer and I am glad they did it.

I took out the image because it's been posted a couple times since, but this is fantastic. The NOB could be a tad bigger, but that's a tiny tiny complaint, especially for a graphic.

Well done, man.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived