marlinfan

2012 MLB & Logo Changes

The Astros are wearing a version of their all-white-with-brick homes that has "Los" in their script on each player's right shoulder. It's a dated reference but it instantly screamed "Laverne" to me.

Also I believe I saw the Diamondbacks in purple throwbacks in an earlier highlight.

DP, sorry.

D Backs are wearing their purple throwbacks tonight against the Giants, and they look fantastic. Their scheme now is pretty good, and they will be the only ones wearing it as of next year, but there is something so awesome about the purple and teal they wore originally. You can tell that it's missed big time by the fans. You see TONS of the purple and teal gear out here, and the Lids I work at actually has more of the throwback gear than new gear. I know that purple and teal is a bad 90s trend, but if anyone gets a pass for using it, it's the Diamondbacks. The colors fit this area perfectly. Why would a team rather use the drab colors of the surroundings rather than colors that better reflect the culture of the area instead?

I even picked up this tonight

A6EED290-7711-4AEB-9791-72C97AC505A9-6374-0000070BEBEFD0F6.jpg

Throwback D Backs purple cap in the new poly material. This is probably going to end up being my new favorite hat. It brings me warm fuzzy feelings of watching Andy Benes throwing the first pitch in D Backs history in 1998.

The D'backs asked the Giants to wear their Sunday roads tonight because of the throwbacks but those are not the road jerseys the Giants had then the D'backs had the jerseys they wore.

On Sportscenter they just showed the Orioles highlight, and said that during the years they previously wore the cartoon bird logo they had the best record in baseball, and during the time of the more correct looking bird logo (or w/e you guys call it) they had the 26th best record. Interesting uniform related tid bit on Sportscenter

orioles-logo-chart1.png?w=555&h=428

Well, you can add a 20th winning season to this chart. As I have said, it has to be that cartoon bird.

You know I'm usually the first one crowing about how color descriptions don't matter (and really, they don't...they're mostly for marketing purposes), but the Diamondbacks didn't call that color Teal, they called it "Arizona Turquoise":

ArizonaDiamondbacks_FRC_2006_SCC_SRGB.png

Similar to the Florida Marlins, who called their former color "Marlin Blue".

In honor of Roberto Clemente, the Pittsburgh Pirates are rolling out their Clemente-era mustard gold caps with the black bill. This has been going on for a few years where the Pirates will wear these caps with their standard uniforms:

4972074393_299675546c_o.png

Tonight, they are wearing them with their alternate black tops which, in my opinion, doesn't look half bad. The only problem is that the shade of gold on the hat is completely different than the shade they use today. The gold cap tones down the black and makes an overall balanced uniform. It reminds me of how the Marlins wore their orange caps with their black jersey. It shouldn't look good, but opinions make differ. A gold cap would sure as heck beat that completely unnecessary alternate cap with the white outline. I'll upload pictures whenever I can get them.

Pictures from tonight:

jr8ba9.png

I'd love to see the pirates come out with a gold alternate cap. For some reason, I like when teams wear an alternate cap without wearing an alternate jersey, like the Cardinals do with their Sunday alts. It's a nice break from tradition during a 162 game season without muddling up the look too much.

That's probably not a popular opinion, but its mine, dammit!

I'd love to see the pirates come out with a gold alternate cap. For some reason, I like when teams wear an alternate cap without wearing an alternate jersey, like the Cardinals do with their Sunday alts. It's a nice break from tradition during a 162 game season without muddling up the look too much.

That's probably not a popular opinion, but its mine, dammit!

I agree with you. I think a gold cap would be awesome for the Pirates, something like this:

pittsburgh-pirates-new-era-59fifty-mlb-cooperstown-gold-black.jpg

The Pirates have not only a classic look, but one of the strongest caps in baseball. Adding a yellow cap would degrade the overall look and mean that they were wearing the superior hat fewer times. It's fine as a fashion cap, but it wouldn't look good on the team. No yellow hat. Also, get rid of the pointless alternate cap with the detached white outline.

On Sportscenter they just showed the Orioles highlight, and said that during the years they previously wore the cartoon bird logo they had the best record in baseball, and during the time of the more correct looking bird logo (or w/e you guys call it) they had the 26th best record. Interesting uniform related tid bit on Sportscenter

orioles-logo-chart1.png?w=555&h=428

Well, you can add a 20th winning season to this chart. As I have said, it has to be that cartoon bird.

No doubt about it! At this point I guess it's fair to say the Orioles 2012 cap/uniform changes have made the most difference compared to other clubs and have had the best effect on the team.

In minor-league changes, I guess the Buffalo Bisons will be getting rid of the blue and orange next year since they're not with the Mets anymore. Maybe a return to the navy and red throwbacks? They currently wear them as an alt and they wore them for the All-Star game back in July, FWIW.

In minor-league changes, I guess the Buffalo Bisons will be getting rid of the blue and orange next year since they're not with the Mets anymore. Maybe a return to the navy and red throwbacks? They currently wear them as an alt and they wore them for the All-Star game back in July, FWIW.

On the flip side, with the Mets going to the Las Vegas 51s will they incorporate orange into their scheme?

The Pirates have not only a classic look, but one of the strongest caps in baseball. Adding a yellow cap would degrade the overall look and mean that they were wearing the superior hat fewer times. It's fine as a fashion cap, but it wouldn't look good on the team. No yellow hat. Also, get rid of the pointless alternate cap with the detached white outline.

I think the look will still be fine with a yellow cap in my opinion. After all, they've had some pretty good years in the 1970's with the yellow cap. People like Stargell, Parker, Clemente, and many others have worn the yellow cap. Sure, I think the caps Stargell and co. wore were the yellow pillbox caps with the stripes, but it's still yellow.

But I also see where you are coming from.

I don't think taking this current gold/black cap (but matching the gold better) and wearing it for say home Sunday games is gonna mess with their look at all. Same colors, has team precedence, looks good paired with the white jersey, plus you wouldn't be changing the uniforms at all. Though I do agree about ditching the current, most pointless alt cap ever.