2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

New ATL set is paired with the home cap.

As for Seattle, they're adding a cap. No jersey changes.

I've now seen 2012 style guides for every team.

Hmm...quick guesses:

- Braves alt possibly based on late 60's pinstriped homes? Perhaps cream colored? I know that particular set was paired with the red-bill cap back in the day.

- I'm torn between teal cap/navy brim or navy cap/teal brim for the M's, but given that the Marlins are dropping it (albeit the little they had), I'm going to take a shot at teal cap, with Seattle deciding to really embrace the color.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Northwest Green (teal) Mariners jersey I bought this year from the team store, along with a teal/navy billed cap from the 1990s, and a navy/teal billed hat I bought at the team store a few years ago. The teals all match very well. The Mariners appear to have kept the color consistent, and if they do bring back one of the old hats (I'd vote for the old home hat with the teal bill), they should be able to match the jerseys perfectly.

The 'LA' is getting a similarly impossible-to-notice tweak, they haven't used it anywhere yet (not that I'd notice if they were) so we've yet to put it up

I really hope they thin out the LA. It was much thinner in the Koufax era and gradually gained more heft over the years. I think it was much more elegant back in the day and have been on the prowl for one for years. It's so subtle that many don't notice, but I'd be very pleased.

The 'LA' is getting a similarly impossible-to-notice tweak, they haven't used it anywhere yet (not that I'd notice if they were) so we've yet to put it up

I really hope they thin out the LA. It was much thinner in the Koufax era and gradually gained more heft over the years. I think it was much more elegant back in the day and have been on the prowl for one for years. It's so subtle that many don't notice, but I'd be very pleased.

They didn't have the LA on the sleeves when Koufax was playing.

Yes.

Generally bad form to bump your own question. If anyone could answer it, they would have.

Sorry, just wanted to find out quickly cause MLB shop has Dodgers authentics on sale, I guess that explains why. This kinda pisses me off that they would make changes to it(however slight) after 50+ years of use though. I have that logo on everything and now my attention to detail is going to drive me crazy.

At the same time as being excited for a new Brave's uni, we have a tradition, and they've been pretty good at :censored: ing things up lately....

A tradition from 1987 - 2005 perhaps. It's not like they've had the current uniform for that long (and they changed a bunch of times before '87 too.) It's pretty great though and they should establish a tradition in it, but the silly red jersey and tomahawk cap, and the blue-on-blue jersey with solid blue cap really don't work for them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When did they thicken it? Was the thinner logo a casualty of New Era's stupid puff embroidery?

At the same time as being excited for a new Brave's uni, we have a tradition, and they've been pretty good at :censored: ing things up lately....

A tradition from 1987 - 2005 perhaps. It's not like they've had the current uniform for that long (and they changed a bunch of times before '87 too.) It's pretty great though and they should establish a tradition in it, but the silly red jersey and tomahawk cap, and the blue-on-blue jersey with solid blue cap really don't work for them.

Digging back through Dressed to the Nines, the Braves wore the current script (or something very close) with the tomahawk from 1946 to 1962, then the same general uniform sans tomahawk from '63 to '67 before embarking on various experiments till '87. The same uniform concept through three cities and the division dynasty should be enough to cement it as theirs from here on out. All the stuff you mentioned does have to go.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the black tomahawk looks better though. Maybe they could somehow work that back in to the mix. I wonder how it'd look in their dark-ass navy.

EDIT: just checked out DTD9s, and have to say that the early-Atlanta tomahawk-less jerseys with front numbers are pretty sweet too. Not sure that the sleeve logo would fly anymore, but they could certainly come up with something else there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When did they thicken it? Was the thinner logo a casualty of New Era's stupid puff embroidery?

It's probably a gradual change that happened over the past 50+ years, looking at this pic:

394_orel_hershiser.jpg

Notice how the 1989 cap is slightly thinner than the current, and compared to the 1960's cap,

drysdale.jpg

I think it changed a bit. But like all Dodger logo changes, it was a progressive change over a long period of time. It wasn't like jumping from this:

2285.gif

to this:

xethzeghsqevqcmfef8m5u6d4.gif

(P.S, that's the worst Giants cap logo, IMHO)

It was certainly thicker into the late 70s. The raised embroidery only added to the beefiness. Into the 80s, the batting helmets still used a thinner LA. It's been in my craw my entire life as a Dodger fan. I buy a new hat each spring(until they grab another WS, then I'll let it ride), so I'll be watching with fingers crossed.

Never realized the old-style jerseys had little arm pit vent holes in them. Would that really help?

Archived