2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy :censored:, Giants! What the hell are you doing? The placket piping (if it matched) would make sense on the alt jersey because there is nothing else on the chest. But why would they use it to ruin the regular road jersey? Even if it DID match match and was a triple stripe, it would look like it was from a different set than the home jersey and be a departure from what they had previously done. Hell, maybe we can get the Red Sox to add a dropshadow or something.

I totally agree. Although I didn't really know what you mean in the bolded part. However, (whether this is what you were referencing or not) I drew a lot of parallels from this change to the Red Sox 2008-2009 uniform changes. Here are the parallels (somewhat biased):

BEFORE:

-Top ten road uniform in baseball

-Road uni in which they won a World Series in 2 years earlier

-1 nice looking home alternate

AFTER:

-F'd up road uniform

-New alternate that looks out of place for identity (Giants should be mostly black. They're alternates are orange and grey. Red Sox should be primarily red, no need for red jersey)

-Piping problems (Red Sox lacks piping, Giants has unnecessary/mismatched)

Honestly, I agree with what you said about even if it matched how having placket piping on the Giants regular road doesn't work. Honestly, I think that placket piping generally doesn't work with block scripts. Seeing the Rockies new roads made me think this too. There are a few teams with block fonts that look good with placket piping (Mets, Rangers, Red Sox are three that come to mind) but in most cases it doesn't work. The Giants road is just too cluttered. The only thing they could have done to make it worse would be to add a uniform number on the front.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Giants tweaked the regular roadies too

66-45951-F.jpg

same thing as the alt

66-45938-F.jpg

I give the "San Francisco" version two years, maybe one...then the "SF" takes over. I hope so...given these two uniforms (flaws and all), I definitely like the "SF" better.

Do not like that regular road update AT ALL, but I do kinda like the alt.

It's a shame they didn't use this script, if they were considering changing the alt:

zmxyzq43clsi10aws0uhita46.gif

NOOOO. It was one thing with the crappy alternate but to do it to the regular roads too... The Giants just ruined one of the best road looks in baseball. I don't think I've ever been this pissed about a uniform change that didn't relate to my team. Not only do those look like crap, but remember that they won their only World Series title in San Francisco while wearing that road uni.

To me, that's a BS reason to keep that jersey. Just like the people who wanted the Red Sox to keep their old roadie because they won the World Series in it. Who cares what happened in a jersey? What looks good looks good.

And the new Giants road uniform does NOT look good.

spacer.png

Good god they screwed the roadies. Okay, this is a perfect case of "if ain't broke, don't fix it" ...

The alternate looks fine. It's a little different, but I suppose they said "if the Padres are doing it then why can't we?".

To me, that's a BS reason to keep that jersey. Just like the people who wanted the Red Sox to keep their old roadie because they won the World Series in it. Who cares what happened in a jersey? What looks good looks good.

I think the World Series wins argument is just one of many. However, the main reason for the negative response to the road uni changes by the Red Sox and Giants is that they are downgrades (or seen as downgrades by most). But when a previous uniform both looks better and will historically be associated with a time of success, the change is not a wise one.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Off the top of my head, are there any other teams out there with two different kind of road grey jerseys? I know the Rangers had it a few years ago.

giants would be the only team

Actually he's right. The Rangers did have a gray road alternate a few years ago but it was a sleeveless jersey:

Josh-Hamilton.jpg

But to be sure, the Giants will (to my knowledge) be the first team with a SLEEVED alternate gray.

the Angels and the Devil Rays had a sleeveless and sleeved grey jerseys too, a few years back

Off the top of my head, are there any other teams out there with two different kind of road grey jerseys? I know the Rangers had it a few years ago.

giants would be the only team

Actually he's right. The Rangers did have a gray road alternate a few years ago but it was a sleeveless jersey:

Josh-Hamilton.jpg

But to be sure, the Giants will (to my knowledge) be the first team with a SLEEVED alternate gray.

the Angels and the Devil Rays had a sleeveless and sleeved grey jerseys too, a few years back

If so, it'll be on the Mothership. The Angels one I am pretty sure was a Home jersey and then a sleeveless version of the home.

i think if they just didnt add the black piping it would look fine

i have never liked the small sleeve/neck piping the giants use that was at the very end of the sleeve/neck

same with the nats

i like this new sleeve piping the giants are using

i guess this should go in the unpopular opinion thread

Bad Giants! Very, Very Bad. Drop the orange piping from the sleeves and I could tolerate the new road jersey a little bit. The road alternate is fine. It's an alternate but they really messed up a great road jersey. Larry Baer & Brian Sabean are pretty arrogant if you ask me and this coming from a Giants fan.

I think the World Series wins argument is just one of many. However, the main reason for the negative response to the road uni changes by the Red Sox and Giants is that they are downgrades (or seen as downgrades by most). But when a previous uniform both looks better and will historically be associated with a time of success, the change is not a wise one.

While the Giants roadie is obviously a downgrade, the Red Sox new roadie is (IMO) an upgrade. I can see how longtime success in that road uniform can positively effect the way a uniform looks. I mean, if the Red Sox were continually a below-.500 team in that uniform, I think the new road uniforms would've had a much better reception.

i think if they just didnt add the black piping it would look fine

Yup. I mean, still a downgrade, but better than the final product.

spacer.png

the Red Sox new roadie is (IMO) an upgrade. I can see how longtime success in that road uniform can positively effect the way a uniform looks.

I do not understand. The World Series road uniform had matching lettering and numbers. This is a Good Thing, for a team to look like itself whether home or away. It's especially bad because single-layer navy blue on grey is precisely what the Yankees should be wearing on the road, once they realize they're still clad in a relic of the 1970s. I've never understood the idea that in addition to grey as a base rather than white, a team should wash out the rest of its color scheme, like the Nationals flipping from red-navy to navy-red, the Cardinals wearing navy hats, or the A's replacing one of the best hats in baseball with a weaker variation. (While it doesn't follow the same pattern, the Cubs going from blue outlined in red at home to separate white-trimmed blue and red looks hideous and drives me up the wall, those big red numbers on grey for a team so associated with blue that people are said to bleed its particular shade.) The only change, whenever possible, should be changing the base color and going from nickname/monogram to city. Leave everything else as it is. I know it's not terribly creative, but it's consistent, and consistency is important.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the Red Sox look awful and not like themselves on the road. I don't care if they looked even more washed-out, red-bereft, and Yankee-like in '86; they had it wrong and got it right. If you want to better balance the red and navy in the Red Sox' scheme, make navy undershirts the norm home and away and let the red stand out against that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived