2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

Where did the picture come from? Is it legit?

When you say ballpark, I think anyplace that baseball is played. Either ballpark or park or field is fine with me for the new facility. Marlins FO have have made it clear that they are not playing in a stadium and are trying to distance themselves from Sunlife.

Which was a smart idea. Outside a few select venues it makes no sense to call a 35-45k seat ballpark a "stadium" when the whole purpose of building this new era of ballparks was to get away from the larger piss poor 50-70's stadiums that came before.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plural form of team name + "park" is a lame-o construction. Yankee Stadium, Tiger Stadium, those are classics. Even the short-lived "Dolphin Stadium" sounded nice. But "Nationals Park" sounds stupid, like it's a national park, but someone made a typo. I remember one of the sports-geekery sites of Ye Olde Intered Net, I wanna say Munsey & Suppes, had the tentative name of the Expos' new home as "The Capital Diamond." That would've sounded pretty sweet. Unfortunately, the Washington Nationals are the Washington Nationals, and as such they play in "Nationals Park." Sometimes old people call Wrigley Field "Cubs Park." They're dumb. One of the most famous sports venues in the world and you can't even deign to say "Wrigley"? I wonder if there's a dying generation of New Englanders who wax nostalgic about Place Where Red Sox Games Are Contested.

Anyway, "Marlins Park" is no better. I'd almost rather they call it the Miami Orange Bowl, since it's the spiritual successor of that venue. Loria said something at the relaunch party about how the Marlins were an international team for an international city. How about International Ballpark?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Anyway, "Marlins Park" is no better. I'd almost rather they call it the Miami Orange

Bowl, since it's the spiritual successor of that venue. Loria said something at the relaunch party about how the Marlins were an international team for an international city. How about International Ballpark?

I like the idea, but I'm not counting on the Marlins to come up with it.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I expect they'll be getting a naming sponsor relatively quickly, though. It only took about a year for the New Meadowlands Stadium to get one.

They need a ballpark logo incase they don't get an immediate sponsor, like in NY. Minute Maid Park was called The Ballpark at Union Station until just before the start of the 2000 season, when they got Enron to sponsor it. It happens from time to time that teams have to wait for venue sponsorship.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I expect they'll be getting a naming sponsor relatively quickly, though. It only took about a year for the New Meadowlands Stadium to get one.

They need a ballpark logo incase they don't get an immediate sponsor, like in NY. Minute Maid Park was called The Ballpark at Union Station until just before the start of the 2000 season, when they got Enron to sponsor it. It happens from time to time that teams have to wait for venue sponsorship.

"The Ballpark at Union Station" is a bitching name. 10 times better than Enron Field or Minute Made Park.

spacer.png

Plural form of team name + "park" is a lame-o construction. Yankee Stadium, Tiger Stadium, those are classics. Even the short-lived "Dolphin Stadium" sounded nice. But "Nationals Park" sounds stupid, like it's a national park, but someone made a typo. I remember one of the sports-geekery sites of Ye Olde Intered Net, I wanna say Munsey & Suppes, had the tentative name of the Expos' new home as "The Capital Diamond." That would've sounded pretty sweet. Unfortunately, the Washington Nationals are the Washington Nationals, and as such they play in "Nationals Park." Sometimes old people call Wrigley Field "Cubs Park." They're dumb. One of the most famous sports venues in the world and you can't even deign to say "Wrigley"? I wonder if there's a dying generation of New Englanders who wax nostalgic about Place Where Red Sox Games Are Contested.

Anyway, "Marlins Park" is no better. I'd almost rather they call it the Miami Orange Bowl, since it's the spiritual successor of that venue. Loria said something at the relaunch party about how the Marlins were an international team for an international city. How about International Ballpark?

"Marlins Park" sounds like what they would call it in a video game that didn't want to pay the corporate sponsor to use the actual name. Marlin Field sounds like an actual name. Including the "s" makes it generic and soulless enough to be forgettably tossed aside for the corporate nom du jour. "Marlins Park" will be gone in short order and "Office Depot Field" or whatever the hell it's called will be all that we remember it by.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

"Marlins Park" sounds like what they would call it in a video game that didn't want to pay the corporate sponsor to use the actual name. Marlin Field sounds like an actual name. Including the "s" makes it generic and soulless enough to be forgettably tossed aside for the corporate nom du jour. "Marlins Park" will be gone in short order and "Office Depot Field" or whatever the hell it's called will be all that we remember it by.

That's what I was thinking, too. Same with Nationals Park. A corporate sponsorship would almost be better.

spacer.png

I've long suspected that arenas/stadiums looking to pick up a corporate sponsorship make their name as bland and generic sounding as possible, to muffle the negative reaction once a sponsorship is picked. New Meadowlands Stadium was the epitome of that: it sounded generic and temporary, and people actually were happy when it was renamed. Virtually anything with "Plural team name" + "Field/Park/Stadium" fits that bill though.

Giving it a cool, or at least permanent-sounding, distinguishing nameis only begging for an uproar once a sponsorship is picked up.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

"Marlins Park" will be gone in short order and "Office Depot Field" or whatever the hell it's called will be all that we remember it by.

I'm not a fight-to-the-deather on the whole corporate naming rights thing (but for one sentimental execption), but I do hate the contrived nicknames that are made to go along with the corporate name. U.S Cellular Field as "The Cell," I'll allow, though I'll still refer to it as Comiskey, and I feel nicknaming anything on the south side after a jail seems rather tone-deaf. But I wanted to punch a random passerby when I was instructed to refer to Minute Maid Park as "The Juice Box," or the Giants' revolving-door-name park as "The Phone Booth." "Hey, let's go to the Phone Booth!" No one says this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've long suspected that arenas/stadiums looking to pick up a corporate sponsorship make their name as bland and generic sounding as possible, to muffle the negative reaction once a sponsorship is picked. New Meadowlands Stadium was the epitome of that: it sounded generic and temporary, and people actually were happy when it was renamed. Virtually anything with "Plural team name" + "Field/Park/Stadium" fits that bill though.

Giving it a cool, or at least permanent-sounding, distinguishing nameis only begging for an uproar once a sponsorship is picked up.

That's a good point, but it doesn't explain why Nationals Park, which has been the home field of the Nationals since 2008, doesn't have a corporate sponsor yet.

spacer.png

What if a sports team bought the sponsorship rights to the stadium of another sport? Like what if the Marlins played at Miami Heat Park?

I think it would be more interesting if another team from a different sport AND a different location bought the naming rights.

Buffalo Bills Park. Home of Your Miami Marlins.

That's a good point, but it doesn't explain why Nationals Park, which has been the home field of the Nationals since 2008, doesn't have a corporate sponsor yet.

They haven't been able to get a sponsor willing to pay what they are demanding yet. The economy went belly-up soon after Nats Park opened, after all.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

What if a sports team bought the sponsorship rights to the stadium of another sport? Like what if the Marlins played at Miami Heat Park?

I think it would be more interesting if another team from a different sport AND a different location bought the naming rights.

Buffalo Bills Park. Home of Your Miami Marlins.

This has nothing to do with what you posted, but I thought it was clever how the 2011 NBA Finals took place in American Airlines Arena and American Airlines Center. The Finals, brought to you by American Airlines.

or the Giants' revolving-door-name park as "The Phone Booth." "Hey, let's go to the Phone Booth!" No one says this.

Not arguing your overall point, but the MCI/Verizon Center was known as "The Phone Booth" a few years before ATT Park opened.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

"Marlins Park" will be gone in short order and "Office Depot Field" or whatever the hell it's called will be all that we remember it by.

I'm not a fight-to-the-deather on the whole corporate naming rights thing (but for one sentimental execption), but I do hate the contrived nicknames that are made to go along with the corporate name. U.S Cellular Field as "The Cell," I'll allow, though I'll still refer to it as Comiskey, and I feel nicknaming anything on the south side after a jail seems rather tone-deaf. But I wanted to punch a random passerby when I was instructed to refer to Minute Maid Park as "The Juice Box," or the Giants' revolving-door-name park as "The Phone Booth." "Hey, let's go to the Phone Booth!" No one says this.

Actually in SF many people do call it "The Phone Booth", since it's always been named after one phone company or another. It's been the one consistent thing about the park. Or it goes by it's original nickname "Pac Bell."

Archived