2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

And with all the positive feedback of the Cards' road uni/red cap combo, why have they not used it in the regular season yet? Those navy caps and helmets are ugly.

I think just because that's the way they've always done it and that'll be that. I think the Cardinals would look much better with red caps on the road and "St. Louis" under the bat, but people seem pleased with the status quo.

Oh, and the Tigers should use the white D on the road, with or without the extraneous white trim on the uniforms. Stands out better against the navy blue than the burnt orange does.

So the Tigers should use a white and navy cap with no orange on it paired with a jersey with navy and orange lettering and no white (if the white trim was nixed). Yeah, that would make sense.

And "St. Louis" under the birds on bat unfortunately just creates too awkward of a shape for placement on the front of the jersey. I and others have tried concepts with it and either the birds/bat are normal size and St. Louis is too big or the script is the right size and the birds/bat are too small. Plus they extend too far out to the sides of the script as well. I've made a "Saint Louis" mark, but pro teams never use that spelling, only Saint Louis University does.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that piping and striping would muddle the uniform by competing with the birds on the bat, but home/road inconsistency is pretty annoying. And besides, with the BOTB being such a strong design element, there are enough distinctions between the Cardinals' uniform and the others you mentioned that they don't need the navy hats. I mean, if it's unthinkable that the Cardinals should resemble the Angels on the road, isn't it also unthinkable that they should resemble them at home?

I made a St. Louis bat once and it looked fine. It more or less matched up with how "Cardinals" fit on it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Cardinals current uniforms need NO changes. The birds on the bat standout well enough on their own that the lack of piping is no issue. Besides, them and the A's, two of the best uniforms in baseball, are also the only two with no piping/striping/pinstripes on their primary home or roads. And they also do NOT need to ditch the road cap. It actually has a longer history than the red. Plus, they'd look too much like the Phillies, Angels and basically the Reds, who all where red caps at home and road. The Cardinals need not change a thing.

I have to agree with this. The Cardinals current looks is a perfect modern representation of a classic look. I know I'm going off a tangent here, but the Phillies could really benifit from a rebrand IMO. Their current script is too cartoony and little-league. Also, for some strange reason, it reminds me of comic-sans. It just seems "scribblish" with no real organization or structure to it. This script will always be far superior to me:

1270.gif

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I have to agree, their current script is too.. bubbly? I don't know, it just doesn't look right to me. I know it fits the P insignia but they could both be altered for a sleeker look. I'm not sure I like the script you posted, that looks like a generic MS Word font.

There's something sterile, stale, and not-timeless-yet-not-dated about the Phillies' identity. I felt the same way about the Twins' Metrodome uniforms, which is why I wanted them to stick with the endearingly handmade 1961 script.

That old Phillies monogram is really nice. I like the slant to it. I know many of us howl at "the mixing of eras," especially no less than Phillies fan himself BringBackTheVet, but...it would look nice on burgundy! Sorry!

I've never liked the Phillies' modern cap. I think this logo:

pMLB2-1737018dt.jpg

is far superior to the regular one.

pMLB2-3537670dt.jpg

And don't get me started on that misplaced blue squatchee.

I agree entirely. The Phillies current set is far from great.

spacer.png

Cardinals current uniforms need NO changes. The birds on the bat standout well enough on their own that the lack of piping is no issue. Besides, them and the A's, two of the best uniforms in baseball, are also the only two with no piping/striping/pinstripes on their primary home or roads. And they also do NOT need to ditch the road cap. It actually has a longer history than the red. Plus, they'd look too much like the Phillies, Angels and basically the Reds, who all where red caps at home and road. The Cardinals need not change a thing.

I have to agree with this. The Cardinals current looks is a perfect modern representation of a classic look. I know I'm going off a tangent here, but the Phillies could really benifit from a rebrand IMO. Their current script is too cartoony and little-league. Also, for some strange reason, it reminds me of comic-sans. It just seems "scribblish" with no real organization or structure to it. This script will always be far superior to me:

1270.gif

I'd like to see the Phils use "Philadelphia" in script on their road uniforms, it would be a good fit.

1270.gif

I'd like to see the Phils use "Philadelphia" in script on their road uniforms, it would be a good fit.

Not with the current script. Too many letters.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Am I one of the few that likes the Phillies' current wardrobe? :therock:

I mean, what else would there be to go to? The 80's "P" logo should never see the light of day ... and their current uni's are similar to their Connie Mack Stadium days. Very classy.

There's something sterile, stale, and not-timeless-yet-not-dated about the Phillies' identity. I felt the same way about the Twins' Metrodome uniforms, which is why I wanted them to stick with the endearingly handmade 1961 script.

That old Phillies monogram is really nice. I like the slant to it. I know many of us howl at "the mixing of eras," especially no less than Phillies fan himself BringBackTheVet, but...it would look nice on burgundy! Sorry!

Here is how that would look.

phils50sburgendy.png

Really nice lookin I think, also I would love the road uniforms more somethin bout burgundy (or maroon whatever it is) on gray that I like.

Yeah, I like that a lot. It would be cool for the Phils to own burgundy/maroon in baseball, the way the Flyers do with orange and the Eagles with dark green.

Maybe put "Phila.", the Sixers did it with their alts a few years back.

Doubt that'll look good on baseball uniforms, though.

This.

Abbreviations (Phila, ATL, PHX) just about work in basketball but with the traditional aesthetic of baseball it would just look so out of place.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Archived