Bye Bye Kings, Hello Royals

The Golden One

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why they are so crazy about playing in Anaheim. When the Ducks were good and did sell out, the fans were always late to the game, and their game time is usually 7:30. Not to mention the Honda Center is not that much newer then Arco Arena.

Not sure why they are so crazy about playing in Anaheim. When the Ducks were good and did sell out, the fans were always late to the game, and their game time is usually 7:30. Not to mention the Honda Center is not that much newer then Arco Arena.

Biggest reason, TV money. And while Honda isn't that much newer than Arco, it's lightyears newer in the amenities department. It's like the difference between the Metrodome and Camden Yards in baseball. As for the fanbase, even the OC region alone is bigger than Sac and the Maloofs have made it clear they intend to branch out beyond just the OC.

At least the Honda Center doesn't look like a 70's Brutalist-era office park building...

I think it would be fine. Plus, don't comlain about the name, folks. Especially if you're in SoCal and you're not getting THREE teams from the same league in the same general area, just be happy with what comes.

And if the Anaheim deal doesn't work (which more than likely it will) Missouri could use a team.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Biggest reason, TV money. And while Honda isn't that much newer than Arco, it's lightyears newer in the amenities department. It's like the difference between the Metrodome and Camden Yards in baseball. As for the fanbase, even the OC region alone is bigger than Sac and the Maloofs have made it clear they intend to branch out beyond just the OC.

Because few people in the OC will like the team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

At least the Honda Center doesn't look like a 70's Brutalist-era office park building...

I think it would be fine. Plus, don't comlain about the name, folks. Especially if you're in SoCal and you're not getting THREE teams from the same league in the same general area, just be happy with what comes.

And if the Anaheim deal doesn't work (which more than likely it will) Missouri could use a team.

These guys might have a problem with that...

george.brett.jpg

Anubis.png

george.brett.jpg

Well if they ever move back to KC they can always go back to the Kings name again.

I know it wasn't going to happen, but I sort of had hope the Kings would go to Los Angeles, move the Clippers to Anaheim, then you've got the Kings in both the NHL and NBA.

Not good news for Bucks fans either. The Supreme Dictator of the Sovereign State of Wisconsin told their collective of the Board of Trustees of the Bradley Center, Herb Kohl, The Milwaukee Bucks, The Milwaukee Mustangs, The Milwaukee Admirals, Marquette University, and any concert, or special event can kiss his collective ass too. He just denied a 10 Million Dollar state grant to keep Milwaukee a competitive viable Major city.

I blame politics for all of this bullcensored.gif! I know the real reason Das Fuhrer didn't want to give money to the BC. It's because a Democratic Senator owns the Bucks. It's all politics.

packchampionslfroh.png

Not good news for Bucks fans either. The Supreme Dictator of the Sovereign State of Wisconsin told their collective of the Board of Trustees of the Bradley Center, Herb Kohl, The Milwaukee Bucks, The Milwaukee Mustangs, The Milwaukee Admirals, Marquette University, and any concert, or special event can kiss his collective ass too. He just denied a 10 Million Dollar state grant to keep Milwaukee a competitive viable Major city.

I blame politics for all of this bullcensored.gif! I know the real reason Das Fuhrer didn't want to give money to the BC. It's because a Democratic Senator owns the Bucks. It's all politics.

I think it's something more basic than that. It's governments finally realizing taxpayers are in general fed up with sinking money into money pits like pro sports teams and their stadiums/arenas. If the rich boys with 9 billion dollars want to play, they can build their own pleasure palaces. Excess like Jerry Jones' monstrosity were likely the last straw for many people and the beginning of the end of an era.

St. Louis will likely pick up the Hornets once Howard Balsille purchases the Blues and moves them to Hamilton.

-- sigh --

I always thought Checketts (being a Utah guy) should have moved the Blues to SLC, because we all know that us Utahns are known for our jazz and blues.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I know it wasn't going to happen, but I sort of had hope the Kings would go to Los Angeles, move the Clippers to Anaheim, then you've got the Kings in both the NHL and NBA.

Wouldn't be the first time a team moved into a city with the same name as another team in another sport in that city.

The all-time best was in the 1920's and 1930's when Pittsburgh had the baseball Pirates, hockey Pirates (1925-30), football Pirates (1933-39) and even the basketball Pirates of the old NBL (1937-39). Four teams with the same name within a decade or so, including three with the same name from 1937-39.

george.brett.jpg

The Sacramento Kings were named the Royals in 1945. The Kansas City Royals were founded in 1969. The Kings had the name first.

St. Louis will likely pick up the Hornets once Howard Balsille purchases the Blues and moves them to Hamilton.

-- sigh --

I always thought Checketts (being a Utah guy) should have moved the Blues to SLC, because we all know that us Utahns are known for our jazz and blues.

Don't think the Blues are going anywhere. They're popular and own the longest playoff streak in sports history at 25 which just ended in the past 5 years so the on-ice success is there. Plus if the Hornets come to Missouri it would be KC and their 2-1/2 year old state of the art arena without a major tennant.

george.brett.jpg

The Sacramento Kings were named the Royals in 1945. The Kansas City Royals were founded in 1969. The Kings had the name first.

Yeah but the Royals were in KC first thus the switch. If they had switched back to Royals once they left for Sacramento then yeah. But they stayed Kings in another city that didn't have a Royals team.

-- sigh --

LOL, that would be pretty funny actually, maybe you can get the NLL Toronto Rock as well! You could have the Utah Jazz, Utah Blues and Utah Rock :P

niagaraq.png

Archived