Bye Bye Kings, Hello Royals

The Golden One

And if the Anaheim deal doesn't work (which more than likely it will) Missouri could use a team.

St. Louis will likely pick up the Hornets once Howard Balsille purchases the Blues and moves them to Hamilton.

-- sigh --

I always thought Checketts (being a Utah guy) should have moved the Blues to SLC, because we all know that us Utahns are known for our jazz and blues.

Don't think the Blues are going anywhere. They're popular and own the longest playoff streak in sports history at 25 which just ended in the past 5 years so the on-ice success is there. Plus if the Hornets come to Missouri it would be KC and their 2-1/2 year old state of the art arena without a major tennant.

I agree that the Blues won't relocate. I would just find it ironic to have two sports teams in Utah named after music rarely/scarcely/not found in the SLC area.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else starting to get the vibe, with all the NHL relocation talk and now the Kings moving to LA, that sports is REALLY turning into the opening to BASEKETBALL?

And if the Anaheim deal doesn't work (which more than likely it will) Missouri could use a team.

St. Louis will likely pick up the Hornets once Howard Balsille purchases the Blues and moves them to Hamilton.

-- sigh --

I always thought Checketts (being a Utah guy) should have moved the Blues to SLC, because we all know that us Utahns are known for our jazz and blues.

Don't think the Blues are going anywhere. They're popular and own the longest playoff streak in sports history at 25 which just ended in the past 5 years so the on-ice success is there. Plus if the Hornets come to Missouri it would be KC and their 2-1/2 year old state of the art arena without a major tennant.

I agree that the Blues won't relocate. I would just find it ironic to have two sports teams in Utah named after music rarely/scarcely/not found in the SLC area.

Very true. The Blues are worshipped in StL. StL is a big basketball town too....that's why the NCAAB always has a large portion of their tournament there (except this year). I lived there for 5 years and was surprised by their passion for basketball. Now football has no business there. The Rams fans in StL are fake for the most part and only show up when they are winning (kinda like TB Bucs fans).

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Anyone else starting to get the vibe, with all the NHL relocation talk and now the Kings moving to LA, that sports is REALLY turning into the opening to BASEKETBALL?

And with the way they want to keep expanding March Madness, we may very well have a convoluted, months-long playoff.

spacer.png

Not sports, just the NHL and NBA. And the NBA in that regard has been very consistent. They move at least one team every 5 years since the league was created, they're almost due so the Kings are moving right on schedule.

I don't think the NBA wanted three franchises in the bay area. I don't know why they'd keep stuffing Ellison's bids with the Kings now out of the picture.

Sacramento is not in the Bay Area.

Meh, it's close enough. Still not the optimal area to have three NBA franchises.

Throwback name to go along with throwback everything?

Great move! The creativity in multi-million dollar sports teams never ceases to amaze me.

Why do something new when you can just copy from the past?

Lazy bastards. Oh well, I don't care about the NBA anyways so I'm unaffected. Just a continuation of the naseuating theme of throwbacks, this being a name throwback no less, regardless of the sport.

2ly2w09.jpg

Wouldn't mind seeing a name change...Anaheim Royals has a nice ring to it. Should be interesting to see if they keep their colors or change them.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Great move! The creativity in multi-million dollar sports teams never ceases to amaze me.

Lazy bastards. Oh well, I don't care about the NBA anyways so I'm unaffected. Just a continuation of the naseuating theme of throwbacks, this being a name throwback no less, regardless of the sport.

This post is dumb. The franchise has either been named the royals or kings every city they've been in and the history goes back to the early days of the NBA. To change away from that would be to toss away a lot of history.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This post is dumb. The franchise has either been named the royals or kings every city they've been in and the history goes back to the early days of the NBA. To change away from that would be to toss away a lot of history.

Yeah, and what a prestigious history it has been. So what.

They're an original NBA franchise with roots that pre-date the league by almost three decades. We're not exactly talking about the Charlotte Bobcats, here.

... they were orginally called the Rochester Royals...then kept the name in Cincinnati and Kansas City (where it eventuilly switched to the Kings due to their MLB team with the same name).

The NBA franchise was never named the Royals while playing in Kansas City. They were renamed the Kings upon arrival in Kansas City in 1972, as MLB's Kansas City Royals had been playing in the Missouri city since 1969.

I've been thinking about this whole Anaheim Royals thing, and whether NBA fans who live in the OC (who currently support LAL or LAC) will change allegiances and root for the Royals. At first I thought many wouldn't, but then I thought about my own situation... I live in the Baltimore "market", but I root for the Wizards because they are the closest NBA team to me, and they are marketed to Baltimore (via TV, etc.). But if Baltimore got an NBA team, I would probably drop my 15+ year allegiance as a Wizards fan - regardless of how good the Wizards were. It's just in my nature to root for the hometown team. So if the Kings move to Anaheim, they may get more support than people think.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

They're an original NBA franchise with roots that pre-date the league by almost three decades. We're not exactly talking about the Charlotte Bobcats, here.

Again, so what. Heaven forbid one of these eternally mediocre franchises grows some balls and comes up with an original look someday, and leaves their useless, uneventful history in the rear view mirror.

Having three teams in the LA market would be ridiculous. If they're going to put the Kings in Anaheim, then move the Clippers back to San Diego...or to somewhere else. How about Pittsburgh?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Having three teams in the LA market would be ridiculous. If they're going to put the Kings in Anaheim, then move the Clippers back to San Diego...or to somewhere else. How about Pittsburgh?

Donald Sterling is crazy and slimy, but not stupid. He has absolutely no reason to leave LA. And even if he did, San Diego's failed multiple times with the NBA, and LA to Pittsburgh would be kind of a downgrade.

Donald Sterling is crazy and slimy, but not stupid. He has absolutely no reason to leave LA. And even if he did, San Diego's failed multiple times with the NBA, and LA to Pittsburgh would be kind of a downgrade.

I agree completely, it's just I feel like three teams in one market is too much. If the Kings/Royals, Lakers, and Clippers are all there, who would be the odd man out? I'm pretty sure it's the Clippers. So where would they go?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

A little OT, but:

Checketts Selling Stake in Blues

Still, it would've been funny to see the Utah Jazz and the Utah Blues.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I agree completely, it's just I feel like three teams in one market is too much. If the Kings/Royals, Lakers, and Clippers are all there, who would be the odd man out? I'm pretty sure it's the Clippers.

Odd man out would be the Anaheim team. Just ask the Angels.

Not as many television dollars unless they can lay claim to Los Angeles, and the Kings/Royals have the misfortune of moving to LA right when the Clippers are finally worth watching.

I never got this argument. You can find Jazz and Blue music in just about every city in the nation, just because the genre wasn't founded in that city doesn't mean there isn't a big scene for that genre.

jNTsTyQ.png

Archived