BAFX: The Black Australian Football Xperience

Discrim

Okay, okay...I see you kinfolk!

I'm just now getting caught up on your work here...and Imma let you know right off the bat, FAMU and ASU are my two favorites so far. I'm kinda biased towards FAM, being that I'm a former dropout alum, but that ASU one just works. The bee-striping also works perfectly for what many jumpers often end up looking like.

Re: AA&M...pretty daggone slick with the ALABA&MA...I see what you did there. Neat little quirk.

All these are looking pretty good so far...and nice to see you picked up where I left off. Keep it going, fam.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 1 month later...

alright, for the moment the wait is over, BAFX is still goin on. First up, the campus where everybody is somebody...

bafxgrambling.png

the home jumper was inspired by Willem II's three-color stripes, and the third is a variant of the home design. The clash seemed distinct enough to work.

fun facts: GSU is home to the famed Tiger Marching Band, which has performed at two Tournament of Roses parades, Super Bowl XXXII, Dubya and Obama's inaugural parades, and appeared in Grambling's White Tiger and Drumline...Grambling football was long led by coach Eddie Robinson, who had 45 winning seasons in a 56-year tenure and retired with a record of 408-165-15, with 17 SWAC titles and 9 black national championships. In his earliest years at the helm, Robinson also held several other jobs, such as teaching at Grambling HS, and coaching other teams at both GSU and GHS, most notably taking GHS' girls basketball to the state finals during WWII...famous alumni include Bucs/Redskins QB and former GSU football coach Doug Williams, Chargers great Charlie Joiner, Mets' Tommie Agee, Alaska senator Bettye Davis, singer Erykah Badu, football hall of famer Buck Buchanan, Raiders legend Willie Brown, Lincoln University (Pa.) president Ivory V. Nelson, Knicks great Willis Reed, former Rams QB James Harris, Packers great Willie Davis

second up, Tennessee State

bafxtennst.png

the home and clash both use Port Adelaide-style prison bars, though it's intended to be a shadow variant on the home. Keeping the Port inspiration going, the third uses a variation of tiger stripes on the left chest.

fun facts: By court order, TSU merged with the U of Tennessee-Nashville in 1979, resulting in TSU gaining a downtown campus...TSU was the first HBCU to win a national basketball title, when the Tigers took home the 1957 NAIA crown...as of 2009, approximately 100 TSU football players had been drafted by NFL teams...notable alumni include Oprah Winfrey, Cowboys great Too Tall Jones, Bears great Richard Dent, Olympic long jumper Ralph Boston, Tennessee Senator John Ford, Cardinals cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Knicks and Heat great Anthony Mason, Olympic runner Wilma Rudolph, journalist Carl Rowan, and Memphis mayor A.C. Wharton

third up, Mississippi Valley State

bafxmsvalley.png

Heh, I was too lazy to find a good version of their devil without the script, so I improvised. I had some old time hockey on my mind, most notably the Seattle Metropolitans and Vancouver Millionaires, and figured I'd take a stab at fitting MISSISSIPPI onto a V. The third's most notable part is the pocket. Yes, it'd be a real pocket.

fun facts: MVSU opened in 1950, only a few years before integration began, and was originally supposed to have been built in Greenwood, but opposition from white leadership resulted in the school being built on cheap land on the outskirts of Itta Bena instead...notable alumni include 49ers legend Jerry Rice, former MVSU football coach Willie Totten, Falcons great Ashley Ambrose, Rams legend Deacon Jones, Indiana politician Katie Hall, and former CFL player Corey Holmes, currently the mayor of Metcalfe, MS

finally, Texas Southern

bafxtxsouthern.png

yes, the whole thing looks like something I'd do for Texas A&M. The third's design is something I'm actually planning to work into an upcoming Rangers concept, with the red maroon portion representing the Goliad bloody arm. Granted, I think it'll translate better to the Rangers, but I figured this would be the test run.

fun facts: sTu is one of only four independent public universities in Texas...TSU's marching band, the Ocean of Soul, performed at Super Bowl XXXVIII along with their UH counterparts, the Spirit of Houston...notable alums include Giants great Michael Strahan, singer Yolanda Adams, fomer NFL player Brett Maxie, Texas Senator Rodney Ellis, 1972 Olympic gold medalist Robert Taylor, and former CFL receiver Don Narcisse

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived