Big Ten Officially Announces Hockey Conference

roxfan00

Okay my source was an article I remember reading in USA hockey magazine from at least a decade ago. Though now that I think about it, it may have been about Illinois and included a picture of them playing Indiana.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Whoever came up with the "Stop-Reel-Line-Mints" graphic on these boards is slipping. Two pages into a thread about a DI hockey realignment on a scale that would make the DI FBS blush, and it has yet to make an appearance. :P

CCSLC signature.png

PARK RIDGE, Ill. ? The Big Ten officially announced today its decision to form a Division I hockey conference, to begin play in 2013-14.

Wilson - We'll miss the SIOUX, too (accept for at the end of the anthem - I never did like that).

It's where I sit.

I think that Notre Dame would try to become an affiliate member in the Big 10 for hockey, but congradulations Big 10 you are the first major conference to start hockey and pave the road for the future.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

I wonder if Illinois or Northwestern could get a program going through a generous grant from the Wirtz family. It'd be good to establish more sub-NHL hockey in the area so there's a more solid base. High school hockey is already fairly big in spots.

As if there's not any hockey in Chicago outside of the NHL:

AHL: Chicago Wolves

ECHL: Chicago Express (11-12)

USHL: Chicago Steel

NAHL: Chicago Hitmen

NA3HL: Chicago Hitmen

and several high end Midget AAA teams

There's plenty of hockey in Chicago.

That said, from what I've seen around the net Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana might be considering upping their programs to varsity. They'd probably take a donation like Penn State's though.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Are we STILL pretending the team in Hoffman Estates is going to come back to life?

And honestly the only people who care about junior hockey are Canadians, family members, and pedophiles.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know about all those teams, but nobody's going to get up for the Steel (the Hoffman Estates team could make it work with the right people in charge). To the extent that there would be interest, there would inexplicably be more interest in a team playing 150 miles away than there would be in the Steel.

And honestly the only people who care about junior hockey are Canadians, family members, and pedophiles.

This sort of fits in with my rule regarding high school sports fandom: if you don't go there (and it's don't, not didn't; you must move on) and your kid doesn't go there, you probably want to molest children.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This sort of fits in with my rule regarding high school sports fandom: if you don't go there (and it's don't, not didn't; you must move on) and your kid doesn't go there, you probably want to molest children.

I thoroughly, whole-heartedly, unequivocally agree - with the exception of the "small town" where the high school football game is the only thing to do on Friday night.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I'd buy an Illini hockey sweater for sure. I don't see them getting one, maybe northwestern, though. Hell I'd probably buy a sweater off them too. To hell with it. It'd be nice to go see some college hockey around here, even if it sucks.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Illinois is miles ahead of Northwestern when it comes to being closer to picking up varsity hockey, IMO. Illinois is currently ACHA Div. 1 meaning they get some sort of sizable chunk of funding from the University. Northwestern is Div. 3 which, last I heard, means the most the get is $500 per year for the club. That's probably inaccurate but you get the point, they get NO funding.

Also, factor in that Illinois already has a 2,000 seat on-campus ice arena. It's not great but it's not horrible either and there is a little room for seating expansion if they wanted to.

Illinois is miles ahead of Northwestern when it comes to being closer to picking up varsity hockey, IMO. Illinois is currently ACHA Div. 1 meaning they get some sort of sizable chunk of funding from the University. Northwestern is Div. 3 which, last I heard, means the most the get is $500 per year for the club. That's probably inaccurate but you get the point, they get NO funding.

Also, factor in that Illinois already has a 2,000 seat on-campus ice arena. It's not great but it's not horrible either and there is a little room for seating expansion if they wanted to.

Illini Hockey is a RSO (Registered Student Organization). Their operating budget comes from gate receipts, program advertising sales, fund-raising and dues. They can apply for travel grants, like any other RSO, but because their revenue is much greater than to those who just have a budget based on dues, it is rarely granted.

If they don't pay for ice time, that is seen essentially as funding in the sense that if they played anywhere else, they'd have to pay. They may not be payed directly but having it covered, waived, or subsidized by the University if the same thing.

Either way, the point remains that they're closer to adding varsity than Northwestern. There was talk about it before the Illini won the 2008 National Championship and it has greatly increased since then. Most of it is just fan hopes but I've heard the University is considering it.

A little more research showed me that UofI Ice Arena is 1,200-seated with up to 2,000 with standing room but that is acceptable until the University could find/build a more suitable arena. Hell, Penn State will play their first season in the Penn State Ice Pavilion (1,350) until construction of Pegula Ice Arena is completed in fall of 2013.

If they don't pay for ice time, that is seen essentially as funding in the sense that if they played anywhere else, they'd have to pay. They may not be payed directly but having it covered, waived, or subsidized by the University if the same thing.

Either way, the point remains that they're closer to adding varsity than Northwestern. There was talk about it before the Illini won the 2008 National Championship and it has greatly increased since then. Most of it is just fan hopes but I've heard the University is considering it.

A little more research showed me that UofI Ice Arena is 1,200-seated with up to 2,000 with standing room but that is acceptable until the University could find/build a more suitable arena. Hell, Penn State will play their first season in the Penn State Ice Pavilion (1,350) until construction of Pegula Ice Arena is completed in fall of 2013.

They (and the other skating clubs) do pay for ice time.

Adding a team is moot since adding a men's team would also require the university to add an additional woman's team in some sport just to re-balance the scholarship numbers in terms of Title IX (18 scholarships).

The University's Division of Campus Recreation already had their major referendum in the last five years for $60M+ in facility expansion/improvements. It was passed and an increase in student fees came about; part of that was for the decade long issues with the concrete slab itself, but that was all which was to be allocated to the facility.

It'll be a looooonnnnnnng time waiting for that. There is no will to spend state moneys on a hockey arena (not that there's money either...) and students are starting to get a little bitchy about the tuition hikes (as well they should) so you can't build this on their backs either. Meanwhile private parties are to busy flipping the bird at every state organ that moves and bitching said organs out for the tax hikes that may mean they can only buy a turboprop instead of a LearJet this year while threatening to flee the state. So you won't get money out of them either.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This is getting tedious and dumb. I don't even like college sports and wouldn't watch a minute of Illini hockey. Just forget I said anything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is getting tedious and dumb. I don't even like college sports and wouldn't watch a minute of Illini hockey. Just forget I said anything.

If you find it "tedious and dumb", know about the teams I listed above, and don't even care about collegiate sports, why mention it in the first place?

Yeah, unfortunate for you that this thread, full of subjects which don't interest you, is the only conversation to be found on these boards.

Back on topic, this will dramatically increase the profile of college hockey, and consequently provides an amazing opportunity for the NHL to recruit new fans to the sport. I haven't seriously considered Milwaukee a particularly viable candidate in the NHL Relocation Sweepstakes, but if the Badgers can raise the sport's profile in the state of Wisconsin, it just might get the boost in interest needed to join the party.

If the people running the NHL were smart, they'd find a way to use this conference to elevate the sport. If only....

Archived